Going backpacking...Need food suggestions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yossarian451

Apr 11, 2002
Look, I am not kidding, the MRE's have everything you need for a meal, no cookware required, they are not much more in cost than reqular dehydrated food, there is a chemical cooker (little sac that heats up and you put it next to the food) and even matches and toilet paper in there, and they are well sized, if you have access they are a perfect alternative, but I would also suggest you take a pot, it can easily be clipped to the outside of a pack, using a carribeaner, and take up no space, plus yous hould have one in case of emergency need for water, err maybe just here in south texas. But hey either pot or and MRE, my suggestion, I have done treks using all kinds of different stuff, so it is all preference.

Entity

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Anyhow, been a few years since I have done any camping much less backpacking. But, if you plan on being gone for five days without cooking, to be frank, you aren't going to make it.
To be frank, I don't think you know what you are talking about. Going without cooking won't mean he won't make it - it'll probably just mean that he won't enjoy it. :D

Rob

Sealy

Platinum Member
Aug 4, 2002
I hiked the "West Coast Trail" in 1996 but we brought a little stove, it just needed a match and methyl hydrate! It folded up as small as a baseball! That way we could cook powdered potatoes and Ichiban noodles. But ideas for not cooking hmmm...meal replacement bars, bananas,gorp,and if you can stomach them, veggie weiners (they last pretty good out of the fridge and they are high in protein. Have fun! BTW where are you going hiking?

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
thanks for the suggestions, guys. we're hiking on the Laurel Highlands Trail in western Pennsylvania. it's kind of not really roughing it, because they put shelters with water, and outhouses, every 10-12 miles. but it's pretty much the only trail around here that takes more than 2 days.

lots of preparation left to do, though. i think ya'all have convinced me to go pick up a 2 dollar pot at the Good Will, though. :)

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
MRE's - great if you can get 'em
dehydrated meals - good stuff but expensive.

Foot long hoagie - start out with one in your pack and have it for the first meal (or two) before it goes bad. I always do this on a camping trip.

Mac&cheese - take it out of box and put in in a ziploc bag

Frozen meat - will defrost by dinner (good for first night only!!)

Potato - easy to prepare (drop in fire)

GORP - you can't have enough GORP

Granola bars - change of pace from GORP

are you ambitious?

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
oh yeah - and rice-a-roni - the pre-prepared rice and pasta dishes are good energy foods.