GOG Winter Sale 2022

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
www.gog.com

Some highlights for me:
  • Skyrim is on sale, DRM-free. This is the best version of Skyrim available.
  • Quake remastered is now also available, DRM-free.
  • With perfect timing, the Force Engine just hit version 1.0 and you can pick up Dark Forces for cheap. I'm playing the game for the first time using this.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I always forget GoG exists and always forget to compare my Steam wishlist for better prices. I'll check it out on my next days off.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
picked up:

My Friend Pedro (been waiting for super sale for a while)
Phantom Doctrine
One Finger Death Punch 2

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
www.gog.com

Some highlights for me:
  • Skyrim is on sale, DRM-free. This is the best version of Skyrim available.
  • Quake remastered is now also available, DRM-free.
  • With perfect timing, the Force Engine just hit version 1.0 and you can pick up Dark Forces for cheap. I'm playing the game for the first time using this.
Dark Forces is awesome. Great SW shooter based on the Doom engine. And the development of new engines for it make it even better, even if progressing slowly compared to classic Doom.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I don't recall much about Dark Forces, played it on PS1 way back in the mid to late 90s. However, I do remember that the level design was very intricate for the time, many turns and corners to check, lots of nooks and crannies with switches (sometimes hard to find); especially the interiors. I thought that the interior maps for the Imperial bases really felt like they were plausible (then again that's what I liked to imagine filling up the 'gaps' back then, like I did with so many other games). Reading this thread makes me want to give it another go. I don't even remember if I even finished the PS1 version at the time.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Dark Forces is awesome. Great SW shooter based on the Doom engine. And the development of new engines for it make it even better, even if progressing slowly compared to classic Doom.

-Dark Forces map design always made me nauseous. Often felt too maze like, but that might have just been the result of my age.

Always enjoyed the weapons though, especially that compression rifle or whatever that would send storm troopers flying.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Reading this thread makes me want to give it another go. I don't even remember if I even finished the PS1 version at the time.
I just finished Dark Forces for the first time, it worked well with the Force Engine. It's still under active development so it'll get even better over time.

The game has a classic FPS feel in the Star Wars universe and GOG has it really cheap right now.
Dark-Forces.jpg

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
can you mod it ?
It's actually the best version to mod because you can perpetually run it offline. You can even backup specific versions of offline installers for your own permanent archive.

That means once you setup your mods, you can run the game like that forever and it'll never break, unlike the other "games as a service" versions. Skyrim auto-updating is the bane of modding.

Reactions: CP5670 and Igo69

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Guess I'll be picking up:

Metro Saga Bundle
UnderMine
AMID EVIL
Kingdom Two Crowns
Hob

I'm still on the fence about RDR2 and many other $15+ games on my wishlist so I'll have to revisit this at another time before the sale ends. I still don't understand how some of the sales are calculated though because for Metro Exodus and the two DLCs to purchase separately it would have been about $12 or I could pick up the Exodus + Expansion Pass bundle for $10 or I could buy the Metro Saga Bundle which includes all of the Metro games plus Exodus and the Expansion Pass, but since I already own all the other Metro games and it'll only be giving me Exodus + two DLCs, it's going to cost me $8. $4 less for the same content but bundled together in a confusing way.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
It's actually the best version to mod because you can perpetually run it offline.
i'm gonna be honest, i dont know a lot about this, so i may be wrong, but from what little i know i think you are wrong here.
For example,
All these run on the Nexus Mod Manager and require some Steam version to install. If not, you need to do your install manually, and good luck trying to get a pack of 100+ mods to install without conflicts, much less a pack with 2000. THAT is why the mod manager exists to begin with, and unless your version of Skyrim is the one that NMM was set up to use, or the mod pack was set up to use, you are out of luck.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
Serious Sam 4 is $10 and Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem is $12 a pretty good deal i have to say

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
i'm gonna be honest, i dont know a lot about this, so i may be wrong, but from what little i know i think you are wrong here.
All these run on the Nexus Mod Manager and require some Steam version to install. If not, you need to do your install manually, and good luck trying to get a pack of 100+ mods to install without conflicts, much less a pack with 2000. THAT is why the mod manager exists to begin with, and unless your version of Skyrim is the one that NMM was set up to use, or the mod pack was set up to use, you are out of luck.
From what I understand, most mod managers work fine (and this will improve with time), and for those that don't, there's generally a simple fix of just changing the file paths to reflect the new locations.

You can start here: https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14753

Also the GOG forums have a lot of content about modding.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Vortex took over NMM and works with every single version (GoG, Steam, physical, etc.). I had issues using Vortex in the past when I was doing my Skyrim run, but for the vast majority of mods it works flawlessly and makes installation as well as mod order a breeze. No more downloading Python, BOSS, NMM, and ten other utilities just to make sure your mods won't conflict with one another.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
No more downloading Python, BOSS, NMM, and ten other utilities just to make sure your mods won't conflict with one another.
secretly, i want to believe you.

Anyway, i'm not sure im going to YET AGAIN play skyrim, since it always winds up being a stealth archer with daedric armor, smithing and enchanting. Idk, i think i have broken that game enough.

Looking forward though to the new whatever the new Skyrim is called .. uh .. Starfield?
I won't lie, it's probably gonna be really really bad. RPGs where the player can influence the combat of the character, generally dont work. The same BUT WITH GUNS will probably be really bad.
But hey, Elder Scrolls 6 is coming out in 2026-2027, so ..

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
It's actually the best version to mod because you can perpetually run it offline. You can even backup specific versions of offline installers for your own permanent archive.

That means once you setup your mods, you can run the game like that forever and it'll never break, unlike the other "games as a service" versions. Skyrim auto-updating is the bane of modding.
i am trying to mod my version of skyrim but it's having none of it.
stuff that depends on Nexus Mod Manager or Vortex - which is pretty much everything, unless you want to manually mod the game - works on specific releases of skyrim only.
also, many many mods rely on skyrim script extender that ONLY works for a limited set of releases. i tried to install, idk, 10 mods and 8 didnt work. im having Neverwinter Nights flashbacks.