GOG to sell System Shock 2

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Seriously, to anyone that comes across this thread that has not played System Shock 2, please do yourself a favor and buy it. Do yourself additional favors by installing the latest patches, model and texture mods from the TTLG site linked above.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Seriously, to anyone that comes across this thread that has not played System Shock 2, please do yourself a favor and buy it. Do yourself additional favors by installing the latest patches, model and texture mods from the TTLG site linked above.

Will do.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
lol me too even though my original disk is still in good shape.

Mine, too, not a scratch. I do really enjoy these digital copies though. I do the same thing with some Steam sales. I've purchased copies of TW/DX, etc. when they were under 5 bucks even tho my disks are ok. Can't beat it.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001

Is there a website to upload files to without creating an account? I have a bundle of recommended mods I wanted to upload, since right now every good graphical mod has to be downloaded separately, and there really needs to be a .zip with the better graphics mods to make it easier to get it up and running for newbies.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I heard this game is a bit dated by graphics but really good. I'll have to try it out. As long as its not gmg because they didn't accept my debit card for some reason.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
Is there a website to upload files to without creating an account? I have a bundle of recommended mods I wanted to upload, since right now every good graphical mod has to be downloaded separately, and there really needs to be a .zip with the better graphics mods to make it easier to get it up and running for newbies.

I just use SkyDrive, because almost everybody has a Windows live account. 7GB for free is pretty nice.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
I heard this game is a bit dated by graphics but really good. I'll have to try it out. As long as its not gmg because they didn't accept my debit card for some reason.

The vanilla graphics are from 1999, what do you expect? High-res texture packs and upgraded models make a world of difference though, and even without them the game more than makes up for it.

16547.jpg

shot-bulkhead2.jpg

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
The vanilla graphics are from 1999, what do you expect? High-res texture packs and upgraded models make a world of difference though, and even without them the game more than makes up for it.

16547.jpg

shot-bulkhead2.jpg

Looks decent will have to try it I've heard lots of good stuff

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Now that GoG has released SS2, can we talk about mods?

I browsed the TTLG thread above, and many links are to Systemshock.org, which appears to be down due to increased traffic recently: "Sorry guests, this is just a small fansite and it isn't made for these numbers of downloaders. We're working on some optimisations and will be back later."

Looks like there are a few patches/mods.
v2.4 patch - SS2 patch.
SHTUP - upgraded object textures
SHMUP - upgraded music?
Rebirth - upgraded npc textures
Rebirth cutscene - upgrade cutscenes
Vurt's mods - flora, water, and high-res space
SHEMP - upgraded monitor textures

I found a link for the 2.4 patch, SHTUP beta6 package, and Rebirth beta2.. can anyone find any of the others? I'm having issues finding working links, but will keep looking.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/13/many-questions-system-shock-2-comes-to-gog/

http://www.gog.com/

It will be available tomorrow and has been tested to work on XP/Vista/7/8. I still have an original version with the box, but it's always such a hassle to get working. I did not see if this will include the latest "patch" from last September.

Make sure to install 'unofficial' patch v2.4

For instance, it fixes SS2 to use 2560x1440 and many great other things. Win7 compatibility has been greatly improved, actually perfect!

Also, the mod installer helps quite a bit with automating pretty much all.

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
and, and, and....

for hardcore SS fans, don't forget System Shock1 portable to see what a great game really plays like. Yes, works on Windows 7 too.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Just to let everyone know, the GOG release already contains the unofficial 2.4 patch. No need to waste your time re-installing it.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
So the GoG version comes with all the patches and textures installed? No need to further mod it?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
So the GoG version comes with all the patches and textures installed? No need to further mod it?

No. The only unofficial patch/mod that the GoG version contains, is the unofficial 2.4 patch. The 2.4 patch applies some massive fixes to the engine to make it run on newer systems, and adds widescreen resolutions and DX9 support. But that's it.

The HD textures, HD sound, and HD model mods (such as SHTUP and SHMUP) are totally separate from the GoG release, and will still need to be installed manually.

Fortunately, the extra mods are very easy to install. They simply go into the "DatPermMods" folder in the game's main directory.

The GoG forums have a pretty good thread here: http://www.gog.com/forum/system_shock_2/system_shock2_faq_patches_mods_recommendations/page1

I'm not sure what the purpose of "ss2tool" is, I'm guessing it's just for bugfixes. Linked below that though are the mods you'll want.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
I'm uploading a zip of all the recommended graphics mod, except for ADaOB, and Vurts impact blood (because it looked like jello instead of blood) to Google Docs. I'll post a link in a bit once it's up. It'll also include some tweaks to the configuration to max out image quality, include a little bloom, and uses a couple of new models that were uploaded to Systemshock.org before it went down this morning (turrent, and something else I can't remember). Does the GOG version of SS2 include the ability to run mods? I can upload a copy of SStool 4.8 if anyone needs it.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I'm uploading a zip of all the recommended graphics mod, except for ADaOB, and Vurts impact blood (because it looked like jello instead of blood) to Google Docs. I'll post a link in a bit once it's up. It'll also include some tweaks to the configuration to max out image quality, include a little bloom, and uses a couple of new models that were uploaded to Systemshock.org before it went down this morning (turrent, and something else I can't remember). Does the GOG version of SS2 include the ability to run mods? I can upload a copy of SStool 4.8 if anyone needs it.

<3 :wub:

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008

You complete me.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Does the GOG version of SS2 include the ability to run mods? I can upload a copy of SStool 4.8 if anyone needs it.

Looks like it. The OP in that forum thread I linked said to install SS2tool, but people are confirming that it's not necessary. So really all you need to do is install the game, and throw whatever mods you want into the DataPermMods folder and it'll work. (Although some more complex mods might involve more steps)

I'm still at work, so I have yet to test any of this out. But I'll give it a try as soon as I get home.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
***Important*** You will need to use sstool to update your game before installing the below mods, especially for the CD version of the game. According to here: http://www.gog.com/forum/system_shock_2/system_shock2_faq_patches_mods_recommendations/page1 you need to do the following:

latest Directx 9 distribution http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
VC+2008 http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5582

Per Voodoo47 at the Gog.com link above:
==========================================================================
-patch up with ss2tool, this will make sure all the files are present in their most recent version (some of the new mods require this, make sure you do it before you start installing mods). just run the tool and point it to your SS2 install, everything else should be done automatically (you need to be connected to the internet, as the tool is a webinstaller). if you want to use the multiplayer, enable it in the options (it's buggy, you have been warned).

Here is a link to the mods that I use for System Shock 2. Some might quibble about Rebirth, and I'm not wild about some of the human models, but this pack is meant to aggregate the many many (Many?) mods that are out there into one, easy to install graphics pack for people who just want to install the mods and get on with it instead of taking an hour of going through threads at Systemshock.org, some of the mods were a bit hidden in the threads. Also, I created NONE of these models, I justed zipped them together to make it convenient for new players to graphically update their game. I was planning to awhile ago, but after I found out SS2 was coming out yesterday, I figured now was the time.

*EDIT* Updated link with newsky in correct directory, rebirth movie ripped from SS2 HD demo (complete cutscene!), and sstool 5,0.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7fJVuW-Yul-MlVNZEF6WTEwdEU/edit?usp=sharing

Credits are at the bottom of this post, but first some notes:

First, go into your SS2 install directory and backup the cam_ext.cfg file. The zip includes a modified file that has only been tested with an Nvidia card. It has been modified to max out image quality, and add a little bloom to the game, as well as crop the movies to fill widescreen (there will still be some black bars on the bottom).

Extract sstool from the archive and run it. It should download any files it needs for the update, as long as you have a working internet connection.

Next, unzip the files and drop all of the files in the archive into your System Shock 2 directory.

To run newsky, go to cam.cfg in your System Shock 2 directory and add "enhanced_sky 1" (without the quotes) at the bottom of the file. The newsky folder will be in the base System Shock 2 directory instead of the mod directory, due to how it works, per the author. Also, I added some recommended keybindings from The Somethingawful Forums. Go to settings and controls, and there's an option to load saved keybindings. It will show up there.

One final note: it may be due to how I installed mods, but I never got the Nurse Bloom model to work in my game, even when I put the files int the root directory. I did make an adjustment per Vurt to get his Security Door to work with SHTUP, as the texture looks a little nicer than the SHTUP version.

Misc mods:
400-ACC-v11
Rebirth 02-Kolya/Cyberblutch-v02.7
Nurse Bloom custom model-Rocketman/Eldron
Shock Music Update (SHMUP)-Schattenv1.1
Hi-res player models (multiplayer)-leaf
Eldron Psi-Amp-Eldron-v2
Earth Dynamic Sky-Voodoo47
Shock Texture Update Project (SHTUP)-Kolya and others-vt6.7
EMP Rifle and materials-Rainalkar and his roommate, Rocketman
Improved black egg-voodoo47
Full rebirth cutscene from SS2HD demo-I don't know who did this one

Vurt:
Hi-res space textures-v1.1.7
Security Door
Better Water Mod-v5.1
Flora Overhaul-v03b
Dripping Goo-v1.0
Biomatter-v1.0
Egg Vanilla Version-v1.0
Vurts hires space with Earth (Requires ADaoB, which is not included in this file due to gameplay changes by the authors of ADaoB)
Improved Turret & Muzzle Flash

Mercurius:
Pistol (ADaoB028-compatible)-v1.1b
Wrench-v1.0
Shotgun-v1.0
Laser Pistol-v1.0
Assault Rifle-v1.0
Grenade Launcher-v1.0

Rocketman:
Viral Proliferater
Shield Generator
Psi-amp world model