GOG - Summer Sale 2016

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
You can also get a free copy of System Shock 2 if you install the GOG Galaxy client within the next 48 hours. Scroll down a little bit in the OP's link to see the deal.

I already have the client and was able to get the free game. It didn't show up immediately but a shutdown and restart of the client fixed the issue.

SYSTEM SHOCK 2 GIVEAWAY Ends in: 46:25:27

Help us stress test the GOG Galaxy client. Visit this page through the client to claim and download your free game.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
blah, didn't realize you had to hit a stupid button to get credit for the checking in daily thing.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
they got a buttload of good stuff I havent seen before.

Makes me sad I bought all those things on Steam.

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
they got a buttload of good stuff I havent seen before.

Makes me sad I bought all those things on Steam.

Yeah, they're getting a lot of the newer games these days.

They just added The Homeworld Remastered Collection last week.
There are new games now that I hadn't even heard of before.

Which games are keeping you company this weekend?

The Summer Sale is on and as everybody's wishlists are dwindling, their playlists must grow exponentially! It's just science, really.

So which games are keeping you busy this weekend?

Go on, share your Weekend Playlists with us. They can include single-player games, multiplayer games, console exclusives, anything - we are not judging. In fact, we are sharing too!

Looking for some inspiration, perhaps? The GOG.com releases of the week are here for you:

You can immerse yourself in an epic space conflict in Homeworld Remastered Collection.

You can explore a desolate alien planet with peculiar structures in The Solus Project.

You can try to unmask a creepy villain in Minecraft: Episode 6 - A Portal to Mystery.

You can help the Soviets and the Americans blow each other up in Battlezone 98 Redux.

You can colonize space and maintain a fine-tuned Planetbase.

You can help a tormented mother search for her missing son in The Park.

You can build your own spectacular amusement park in Parkitect.

You can let the dice decide who survives a doomed Martian mission in Tharsis.

https://www.gog.com/news/hey_goglins_lets_share_our_weekend_playlists_round_5

It's actually starting to be a bit challenging to keep up with all the newer titles they've added - my backlog's going to get worse than it already is :)

peter6667

Jun 18, 2016
Bought The Witcher 3 with all addons. Gave me all the rewards as well. Now I just need a better computer to play it ;)

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Picked up quite a few at 75-80% off including Crookz: The Big Heist. If you loved the old "Commando's: Behind Enemy Lines" teamwork based gameplay (or funky 70s music), you'll probably enjoy this. :D

Feb 4, 2009
Have the commando games been patched to work on modern OS's? Last time I looked it had something to do with DX5(?) not being supported in win 8/10 for security(?).

Cappuccino

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2013
what is GOG guys? will the price on GOG be the same price in the upcoming steam summer sales? For example on GOG right now Witcher is 17.49 and I remember it was £15 on the Steam summer sales? Should we wait or not?

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Last edited:

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
what is GOG guys?
GOG is an alternative Digital Distributor. It started out as "Good Old Games" as their niche was getting much loved old games to run on new systems, stripping out all the DRM (legally) and packaging them into simple offline restriction-free installers that work on modern systems. Since then it's just "GOG", and they sell many new games but their thing is still mainly DRM-free versions. They're actually owned by CDPR (same people who make the Witcher series). No idea if Steam summer sales will be cheaper, but buying the GOG version supports the developer directly and is DRM-free. :thumbsup:

Have the commando games been patched to work on modern OS's? Last time I looked it had something to do with DX5(?) not being supported in win 8/10 for security(?).
"Technically" they're listed as W7 only. In practise, Commandos 3 is said to work in W10 using D3DWindower or DxWnd (and 16-bit color compatibility mode). It's the most finicky and lacks widescreen, but is also generally regarded as the worst in the series so you're not missing much. Commandos 2 is said to work as well. I haven't tried Windows 8 but the original Commandos: BEL and BTCOD expansion (best in the series IMHO) work fine in Windows 7 & 10 with minor tweaking. There are widescreen patches for 1 and 2 too. They're limited to 1280x720 without glitches but due to the nature of the game, you actually don't want it more than that due to scaling issues (everything gets too small at 1080p and above). For Windows 10, I think I little tweaking is needed, something like:-

1. Install DirectX drivers (yes even for W10).

2. Go to the Comandos.exe in the folder GOG Games\Commandos and change the name Comandos.exe to Commandos.exe (add a second M) and change Start Menu shortcut to match. This fools Windows Compatibility Settings if you get the "DX5 not found" message as W10 has a botched entry that gets the filename wrong.

3. There's an ultimate fix pack too.

^ That combination should get the original + expansion, (and possibly the second if it needs it) running. If the worst comes to the worst, GOG do offer a 30-day refund policy if you really can't get the games to work on your system. GOG community forums are also generally highly knowledgeable about this stuff.

Summary of workability:-
https://forums.revora.net/topic/102709-heads-up-about-windows-10/

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I wasn't actively trying but I maxed out the free games this sale. I had just bought Dreamfall Chapters on Steam so I refunded it there (0 hours played). My first Steam refund, actually.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
After buying a flawed version on Steam, I bought Painkiller Black on GOG for 2.40 (or something like that). Under 3.00...
I highly recommend this game to anyone who wants:
A shooter
Some story
Some puzzles and Tarot cards:)

Do not ask me why, but this is one of my favorite games and worth a try for under 3.00.
P.S. The graphics and character animation ain't bad either. A change of scenery in levels is always nice!

The Wife():)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I picked up X Rebirth complete - I've been collecting space games and not playing any and not even crazy about the genre but each looks like it might be fun.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I picked up X Rebirth complete - I've been collecting space games and not playing any and not even crazy about the genre but each looks like it might be fun.

I liked X3 back in the day, at least somewhat. It was more of a spreadsheet space simulator and I was more into a Freelancer type game, but it was fun enough to play for a while. Decent visuals for its time.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I liked X3 back in the day, at least somewhat. It was more of a spreadsheet space simulator and I was more into a Freelancer type game, but it was fun enough to play for a while. Decent visuals for its time.

Reviews say Rebirth is pretty different - they complain it's easier than X3, but I think that's probably a good thing.

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
After buying a flawed version on Steam, I bought Painkiller Black on GOG for 2.40 (or something like that). Under 3.00...
I highly recommend this game to anyone who wants:
A shooter
Some story
Some puzzles and Tarot cards:)

Do not ask me why, but this is one of my favorite games and worth a try for under 3.00.
P.S. The graphics and character animation ain't bad either. A change of scenery in levels is always nice!

The Wife():)

Painkiller is one of my all-time favorites as well. Half the fun was trying to find all of the secrets on every map. They really nailed the atmosphere when this game was designed.

Unfortunately, the expansion was terrible. The base game is excellent though.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Painkiller is one of my all-time favorites as well. Half the fun was trying to find all of the secrets on every map. They really nailed the atmosphere when this game was designed.

Unfortunately, the expansion was terrible. The base game is excellent though.
The first expansion is good, as it was developed in house. The other expansions were 3rd party though, and indeed got horrible reviews.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Between GOG and Steam, they have certainly ended the debate about PC gamers and piracy. We don't play games we haven't bought, we buy games we don't play.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Between GOG and Steam, they have certainly ended the debate about PC gamers and piracy. We don't play games we haven't bought, we buy games we don't play.

Seeing as the steam summer sale is starting on the 23rd it's about to get worse. ;)

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

y'all aren't gamers, y'all are digital hoarders.