GoG - releases Thief Gold version & now Thief 2: Metal Age

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Oh Looking Glass, how I miss you. :(

I don't know about exclusivity. The Gold version was a release way back when. If they mean that only GOG is going to be re-releasing the game I can see that. Right now, I have only seen a few games on GOG that have been released with other distributors. They have worked hard in getting more games and publishers on board.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
It should work with the 32 bit color patch even though I think it's not really the responsibility of the game developers to make old games work on new hardware.

Devs like Timeslip are damn nice to make up for nv's and AMD's shortcomings.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I've never played the Gold version, and I lent out my Thief disk many years ago.

I might be tempted by this, but I'll have to research wheter the game supports x-fire. I'm still a little burned by the BG thing.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I might be tempted by this, but I'll have to research wheter the game supports x-fire. I'm still a little burned by the BG thing.

Are you being serious? The game was released in 1998.

Edit: Wait, are you talking about Xfire, as in the instant messaging service? Not the AMD dual-GPUs technology crossfire? If so, never mind, I'm retarded.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
i worded badly.

What I meant to type was "I hope this game runs under x-fire", not "supports".

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
It should work with the 32 bit color patch even though I think it's not really the responsibility of the game developers to make old games work on new hardware.

Devs like Timeslip are damn nice to make up for nv's and AMD's shortcomings.

I don't want to steer off topic... but I would much rather NV and AMD spend their time making sure modern games work properly. Every day spent "fixing" an old game that a few hundred people might be interested in are days pushing back a patch to get a new game working better.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I don't want to steer off topic... but I would much rather NV and AMD spend their time making sure modern games work properly. Every day spent "fixing" an old game that a few hundred people might be interested in are days pushing back a patch to get a new game working better.
That's actually a good point because my wishes aren't grounded in reality. I neither run a business nor am I a software programmer, so I've never understood how it could be that hard to make a checkbox to force certain formats and emulate a few more legacy functions via shaders.

veri745

Golden Member
Oct 11, 2007
Awesome, my favorite stealth game of all time (probably more nostalgia than the actual gameplay, though)

Are there any texture update mods to make the game look a bit more reasonable?

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
<(looks at thief gold disks next to him) nope pretty sure it isn't. :)

From what I can gather, it's the Digital distribution of this version and content that are supposedly what makes it exclusive :whiste:

I haven't played any version of this one yet . . . just passin the info, but it is a bit of a stretch.

mrblotto

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2007
Awesome. Syndicate is up on GoG as well. Loved that game.

Nice! I remember playin that waaaaaaay back in the day! I'd tell all my guys to kill a whole bunch of people, and they'd get all jacked up on adrenaline and go apeshit lol!

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001

Not I, can't stand when something no longer runs properly because the latest driver orr latest version of firmware stripped out a subroutine the program is expecting to use and you can no longer run it.