GoG: D&D games 20% - 60% off, Baldur's, Planescape, etc.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Anyone else having trouble with their website? Seems like each time I go there no matter which browser I use my connection slows to a crawl and starts timing out.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Still too expensive IMHO, considering that Dragonshard is a piece of crap, and they are pretty much forcing you to buy it to get a full discount.

But then again... It would be difficult to obtain these games through legal means anywhere else at the same price...

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Still too expensive IMHO, considering that Dragonshard is a piece of crap, and they are pretty much forcing you to buy it to get a full discount.

But then again... It would be difficult to obtain these games through legal means anywhere else at the same price...

You think $32.93 for PS:T, BG 1-2, IWD 1-2, TOEE and NWN 1 is too expensive?

I will restrain myself from calling you names, but it isn't easy.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I finally caved and bought BG and BG2, even though I have them on CD.

I've never been able to get BG2 to work on my current PC without crashing, so having the otimized and patched versions seems to be worth it.

terry107

Dec 8, 2005
Never played any of them (must have been asleep in the early 2000's) but bought them all. I have no idea when and in what order I will play them but I'm definitely looking forward to some good story telling.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You think $32.93 for PS:T, BG 1-2, IWD 1-2, TOEE and NWN 1 is too expensive?

I will restrain myself from calling you names, but it isn't easy.

it is, for me.

I only want 3 of those games, and have been waiting for $5 on each of them.

I've had NWN for several years (platinum edition--before the final expansion was released), ....and though it was OK. I know it was all about the mods, but I couldn't really get into those. they just seemed like more of the same.

It was a decent play through, once, but nothing that felt earth shattering compared to a lot of similar games.

I only want BG (maybe just 2) and PT, maybe Icewind Dale, simply because they get so much love and I have never played them.

even then...I may never get around to playing all of that, as I seem to have lost stamina for such games, as much as I used to love them. That, to me, is what justifies a cheaper price--and I simply don't want to buy a pile of games that i will never play just to pay the price I want to pay for the few games that I actually want.

I'm not saying it's a bad deal--at all--it's just useless for me.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I wish they would put a bigger warning on these that they don't work in crossfire.

I can't easily turn off crossfire on my dual gpu card, so the games are essentially unplayable on my current PC.

pwnagesarus

Apr 9, 2007
I had to restrain myself from not buying all the games...instead I only bought BG1, BG2, NVN and Planescape. Should be more than enough.

I own BG1 and IW2 but cannot locate them. =/

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I wish they would put a bigger warning on these that they don't work in crossfire.

I can't easily turn off crossfire on my dual gpu card, so the games are essentially unplayable on my current PC.

What about in an XP virtual machine? Except for NWN they are all 2D games that don't need access to your 3D hardware. (BG2 has optional accelerated 2D effects but your CPU shouldn't need that and/or the VM should support that.)

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
What about in an XP virtual machine? Except for NWN they are all 2D games that don't need access to your 3D hardware. (BG2 has optional accelerated 2D effects but your CPU shouldn't need that and/or the VM should support that.)

Hmmm... I guess I could try that. I sort of gave up on virtual XP; no old game I've ever tried to install there has ever worked, but now that I think of it - they've all been 3d games like NFS:HS and FEAR.

I still have the gog installer in the regular downloads folder. Do I have to re-download into the virtual machine, or can I transfer that file somehow?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I use VMWare not the MS built-in VM so I'm not sure. With a VMWare VM you could burn the files to a CD/DVD or copy them to a USB flash drive before running the VM then read them from there. You could also look for Virtual PC (2004?) since MS made that freeware.

Both VMWare and VPC do require you to have an actual XP Windows OS disc and license key, while the Win 7 built-in VM does not. With a VMWare/VPC VM you could install all of the games to the one VM.

Last edited:

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I just opened virtual XP and sure enough - the 5970 isn't listed as the GPU.

Instead it's "Virtual PC Integration components S3 trio 32/64".

Maybe it will work; I'll give it a try when I get back from work. If it doesn't run properly I'll try one of the other programs you mentioned.