GOG 2020 results summary

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
It's great to see the best digital distribution platform in existence posting record growth.

Things I found interesting:
  • Almost no customers in Asia.
  • Three quarters of users are 18-34, so the young 'uns still value game ownership.

Reactions: Igo69

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Good for GoG.

I'm a Steam: Ride or Die kinda guy.

Just too much inertia behind Steam for me, don't want to break up my game library and nervous about using multiple stores after nearly losing any games that required a uplay account.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
...and nervous about using multiple stores after nearly losing any games that required a uplay account.
You'll never lose access to GOG games as they're DRM-free. They don't require any client, logon, or authentication to run. Once you buy them, they're yours forever to keep.

You can also download their offline installers and back them up as you please, to be reinstalled whenever and wherever you like in the future, without restriction.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
You'll never lose access to GOG games as they're DRM-free. They don't require any client, logon, or authentication to run. Once you buy them, they're yours forever to keep.

You can also download their offline installers and back them up as you please, to be reinstalled whenever and wherever you like in the future, without restriction.
i've been trying to get most games on GOG for this reason

Dannar26

Mar 13, 2012
In my head, I'm a GoG guy. In reality I'm more of a steam guy. And since 2019, I've really started to get a lot of stuff from the epic store. Mind you, I never paid for any of it -- I had a few "free with AMD hardware" titles, and all their weekly freebies. But mostly I stick to steam as it's the only platform I have of the three where I have an active friends list. Do the others even *have* friends lists?

I have a respectable amount of stuff on GoG. I would love to seem them grow the most, since their stance on DRM seems the most customer-friendly to me.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
A few years back GOG was really hurting financially. Good to see them grow so much by doing the right things. Unlike a certain other store owned by a company that thinks its more epic than others.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Does GoG automatically update games? I don't think they do, but I could be wrong.

This is why I stick with Steam....I like the fact that the games are automatically the latest release version and I don't have to worry about that stuff.

delonm

Apr 10, 2011
Does GoG automatically update games? I don't think they do, but I could be wrong.

This is why I stick with Steam....I like the fact that the games are automatically the latest release version and I don't have to worry about that stuff.

If you use the Galaxy client, your games will get automatically updated (if you so choose).

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

The only thing that Steam has over GoG is the Steam Workshop, which for some games is really amazing. Its one of the main reasons a game like SpinTires is amazing on Steam, and junk on Epic. Because custom maps and vehicles totally make the game significantly better.

But for games that don't support mods, GoG is great thanks to the no DRM, and the Galaxy client being pretty good.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I'm doing the EPIC platform but only because they gave away a ton of free games. Otherwise, gotta luv GOG DRM-free where you're in control, never a case of whether some company goes under or sold, the server shuts down or becomes incompatible, etc.