Godaddy hosting/Frontpage combo - good?

kwo

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2002
My buddy has bought hosting at GoDaddy.com.

He also bought Frontpage and has been trying to create a webpage in Frontpage and upload it to GoDaddy.

He's been having a lot of problems with the interface, and with creating things like password protection on the site.

He is also concerned with people hacking into the site, and is unsure of what he should be doing to maintain security on his end and during his programming of the web pages.

I really haven't jumped into this arena yet, so I'm of little help - but told him I knew a *huge* community that was! :)

So, would y'all have suggestions/recommendations for what he's doing such as:
1. Is GoDaddy an ok choice for hosting?
2. Is Frontpage ok to use? (remember, he's no expert)
3. Why can he not create/use scripts that use password protection?
4. What types of security measures should he be implementing?
5. any other suggestions/helpful info/useful websites he should know/read?

Thanks y'all! :)

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
1. Is GoDaddy an ok choice for hosting?

Yes and no.

To me GoDaddy.com and NameCheap.com are domain registrars only, nothing else. Ask your friend what their budget is for web hosting? I can offer some suggestions if we have a budget.

2. Is Frontpage ok to use? (remember, he's no expert)

FrontPage is ok if you're a total n00b. Just make sure to choose a web host which offers a control panel and interfaces with FrontPage (cPanel or DirectAdmin).

3. Why can he not create/use scripts that use password protection?

AFAIK this isn't done using FrontPage. If he had a decent web host which offers cPanel or DirectAdmin, directory password protection is offered through the control panel. You can also use .htpasswd

4. What types of security measures should he be implementing?

It depends on what he is hosting and what information he wants to keep secure.

5. any other suggestions/helpful info/useful websites he should know/read?

WebHostingTalk.com <--- bookmark it and spend few days reading

kwo

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2002
Thanks, RossMAN - I'll pass these comments on to him.

does the website you refer to have good basic info on using 'cpanel' or 'DirectAdmin' ?

BTW, what are these - just html editors that are server based? What is the advantage of using these vs. Frontpage?

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: kwo
Thanks, RossMAN - I'll pass these comments on to him.

does the website you refer to have good basic info on using 'cpanel' or 'DirectAdmin' ?

BTW, what are these - just html editors that are server based? What is the advantage of using these vs. Frontpage?

You're welcome, happy to help. Ask him what his budget for web hosting is.

Yes WHT is a great resource for web host control panels. cPanel is the most popular but I prefer DirectAdmin. Either choice really you cannot go wrong. There is a Hot Deal on web hosting but it expires tomorrow.

I would rather use the built in HTML editor than FrontPage. FrontPage makes the code very bloated. It's like comparing Windows ME to XP Home, which would you rather use? cPanel has a very nice built in HTML editor.

I can offer your friend a FREE cPanel web hosting account so they can test it out for a few days. If they like it they can switch to a cPanel web host. PM me with your AIM/email address and I'll contact you later today.