God the fanaticism is worse than ever in this Election

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: irishScott

McCain > Biden > Obama > Palin

I think McCain is in good health for his age and that he probably won't die in the next 4 years.

If he does, I don't think Palin would be all bad. I like her general attitude (if not her beliefs) and she'd be gone in relatively short order. Would I vote for her if she was running for President? Hell no.

I might have agreed with you on those rankings in 2002, but McCain doesn't seem to be the man he was then. Now he lets his handlers run an ad saying Obama promotes kindergarden sex then stands by the ad as being true. That's not the McCain who (used to) fight the administration on outsourced torture.

PokerGuy's point on keeping the government divided is a good one, though I don't like the idea of Palin appointing Supreme Court judges to fit her extremist bent.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
OP

Pot. Kettle. Black.

So I'm a fanatic now? Lol. I was wondering when you'd chime in.

Then again, please note the end of my post where I predicted that fanatics would see me as a fanatic.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Oh yeah, and the Democrat-controlled congress has done so much for us over the last couple of years. :roll:

I'm not voting Republican, I'm voting for McCain; because I think he's the better man for the job. I couldn't care less about what party happens to be in the White House as long as there are competent reasonable people running things.

McCain also has a decently moderate history. I think he's more likely to go against the GOP than Obama going against the Hardcore lefties.

It's been proven time and time again Dems have no such control as you are claiming.

You have been pwned big time.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

Would I vote for her if she was running for President? Hell no.

Proves you're a partisan HACK voting for the party like I said.......... Goodbye

What? The fact that I don't want a creationist ban-abortion, anti-stem-cell (among other things) President makes me a hack? If I was a GOP hack I think I'd be supporting Palin.

And how am I partisan? I just stated a fact. Congress, whether controlled by either party, has done shit.

Methinks you need a lesson in reading comprehension.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Oh yeah, and the Democrat-controlled congress has done so much for us over the last couple of years. :roll:

I'm not voting Republican, I'm voting for McCain; because I think he's the better man for the job. I couldn't care less about what party happens to be in the White House as long as there are competent reasonable people running things.

McCain also has a decently moderate history. I think he's more likely to go against the GOP than Obama going against the Hardcore lefties.

It's been proven time and time again Dems have no such control as you are claiming.

Fine. I retract it to "congress has done shit". I thought the Democrats had the momentum, especially after the 2006 senatorial election which was widely acknowledged as a something of a "protest vote" against the Republicans.

They could have acted on it and done something productive. They failed.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000

<rant snipped>

<---------Moderate McCain supporter. Willing to change views if Obama proves himself.

So bottom line you are voting Republican.

How does that help after having Republican domination since 2001?

Im not gonna bash you for your choice, hell you made your argument and it makes a TON more sense then some of the stuff that flies around here.

I just want to participate in this thread by saying that the John McCain of 2000 didn't make as many concessions as the John McCain of 2008. It seems that McCain could not have made it this far without chucking his moderate stances to move more to the right. His VP selection, imo, represents the pinnacle of his concessions to the right. He was tossing the idea of choosing Liebermann..THAT is the John McCain that I would have considered.

I just don't think someone can do what John McCain did (embrace many of the positions of GWB, AND move more to the right) and not be beholden to those positions once he takes office.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Fine. I retract it to "congress has done shit". I thought the Democrats had the momentum, especially after the 2006 senatorial election which was widely acknowledged as a something of a "protest vote" against the Republicans.

You realize that Bush has vetoed 11 bills in this Congress alone, while the Republicans have staged more than 80 filibusters, right? That makes them one of the most obstructionist minorities in US congressional history.
And you're expecting the Dems to perform miracles or something?

And sorry, but McCain lost all claims of being a moderate when he picked Palin as his VP. Seriously, you're concerned about Obama not going against the "hardcore lefties" while McCain picked one of the hardcore righties as his VP and potential successor.

So while you're trying to come off as somehow balanced and moderate here, it's obvious that you're not.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
It seems more like McCain can't get his ground and all of his moves that he considered 'checkmates' are proving futile.
He really needs Palin to do a Hillary and start shedding tears to really win this election.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: zoiks
It seems more like McCain can't get his ground and all of his moves that he considered 'checkmates' are proving futile.
He really needs Palin to do a Hillary and start shedding tears to really win this election.

You're missing the OP's point, and in fact, you fit into the molds he described perfectly.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Originally posted by: OrByte

<rant snipped>

<---------Moderate McCain supporter. Willing to change views if Obama proves himself.

Im not gonna bash you for your choice, hell you made your argument and it makes a TON more sense then some of the stuff that flies around here.

I just want to participate in this thread by saying that the John McCain of 2000 didn't make as many concessions as the John McCain of 2008. It seems that McCain could not have made it this far without chucking his moderate stances to move more to the right. His VP selection, imo, represents the pinnacle of his concessions to the right. He was tossing the idea of choosing Liebermann..THAT is the John McCain that I would have considered.

I just don't think someone can do what John McCain did (embrace many of the positions of GWB, AND move more to the right) and not be beholden to those positions once he takes office.

That's where we disagree. This is the election. McCain needs to pander to the right (Palin), and Obama to the left (his "out of Iraq in < 2 years" BS). I think Obama is way more liberal than he's letting on, and given McCain's record (even his recent record), I think he's less conservative than he's letting on. Although much of what he's done recently falls under incompetent moreso than conservative.

In the end it's not an easy choice. It's not so much that I completely disagree with Obama. I disagree with McCain on a lot of things. When it comes down to it I just think McCain can get more done, and he's right about a few things IMO. If Obama turns out to have some spine and/or influence I'll be glad to vote for the man, but as it stands now I see him as being rented out by the extreme Left once in office.

McCain can't control his campaign, and Obama lets his campaign control him. Two stellar choices there. :p

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: OrByte

<rant snipped>

That's where we disagree. This is the election. McCain needs to pander to the right (Palin), and Obama to the left (see his: "out of Iraq in < 2 years" BS). I think Obama is way more liberal than he's letting on, and given McCain's record (even his recent record), I think he's less conservative than he's letting on. Although much of what he's done recently falls under incompetent moreso than conservative.

In the end it's not an easy choice. It's not so much that I completely disagree with Obama. I disagree with McCain on a lot of things. When it comes down to it I just think McCain can get more done, and he's right about a few things IMO. If Obama turns out to have some spine and/or influence I'll be glad to vote for the man, but as it stands now I see him as being rented out by the extreme Left once in office.

McCain can't control his campaign, and Obama lets his campaign control him. Two stellar choices there. :p
eh, you will get a thumbs up from me on that. Since neither one of us can see the future I guess we will see what happens.

:thumbsup:

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
OP

Pot. Kettle. Black.
You know, there are very few individuals even on this forum that would look more like a total fucking dumbass saying that than you, congrats.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
That's where we disagree. This is the election. McCain needs to pander to the right (Palin), and Obama to the left (his "out of Iraq in < 2 years" BS). I think Obama is way more liberal than he's letting on, and given McCain's record (even his recent record), I think he's less conservative than he's letting on. Although much of what he's done recently falls under incompetent moreso than conservative.

:confused: McCain will just mean more partisan gridlock in Washington, and nothing will get done.

Plus, he's rash and impulsive. He likes to give the impression that he's working hard, but his completely lack of subtlety in politics makes it so he tends to waste a lot of time blundering about like a bull in a china shop.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Vic

You realize that Bush has vetoed 11 bills in this Congress alone, while the Republicans have staged more than 80 filibusters, right? That makes them one of the most obstructionist minorities in US congressional history.
And you're expecting the Dems to perform miracles or something?

And sorry, but McCain lost all claims of being a moderate when he picked Palin as his VP. Seriously, you're concerned about Obama not going against the "hardcore lefties" while McCain picked one of the hardcore righties as his VP and potential successor.

So while you're trying to come off as somehow balanced and moderate here, it's obvious that you're not.

lol and BHO lost all claims of being for "change" by picking Biden as his VP.

I know you try to play yourself as a Libertarian and all but it's obvious that you have turned into a BHO lackey...

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
:confused: McCain will just mean more partisan gridlock in Washington, and nothing will get done.

This is a bad thing? Gridlock? Seems to me the less they agree on the less money that gets spent on stupid things and less stupid legislation.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006

Plus, he's rash and impulsive. He likes to give the impression that he's working hard, but his completely lack of subtlety in politics makes it so he tends to waste a lot of time blundering about like a bull in a china shop.

I like a lack of subtlety in a politician. It's refreshing, and if done right can be effective.

And in response to your previous question: No I don't expect them to work miracles. I expect them to try.

Take a look at this:
http://www.senate.gov/legislat...ts/vote_menu_110_1.htm

The only real thing the Democrats did to ride the wave of the election was Earmark reform (which passed), which, if you read the amendments, may or may not have done anything. After that it descends into a few motions to "express the sense of Congress on" everything Iraq (whatever the hell "sense of Congress" means) and other typical Senate drivel that we've had for the last several years.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons

McCain > Biden > Obama > Palin

I think McCain is in good health for his age and that he probably won't die in the next 4 years.

If he does, I don't think Palin would be all bad. I like her general attitude (if not her beliefs) and she'd be gone in relatively short order. Would I vote for her if she was running for President? Hell no.

I might have agreed with you on those rankings in 2002, but McCain doesn't seem to be the man he was then. Now he lets his handlers run an ad saying Obama promotes kindergarden sex then stands by the ad as being true. That's not the McCain who (used to) fight the administration on outsourced torture.

PokerGuy's point on keeping the government divided is a good one, though I don't like the idea of Palin appointing Supreme Court judges to fit her extremist bent.

Palin won't be appointing anyone (unless something happens to McCain), and even if she were to be in a position to appoint someone, a strongly democratic congress would make sure she could not appoint some ideologue hack to the court. The same could not be said for Obama. He could appoint some radical left-winger, and the congress would go along with it.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

:thumbsup: People like Dave are exactly the kind of fanatics that we need fewer of in politics.

Some people just don't seem to grasp the concept of "water under the bridge". I can't change what has happened over the past xx years. I look at the current situation, the fact that we'll have a strongly democratic congress, and what the two candidates bring to the table. Overall, McCain seems like the logical choice to me, just like Obama might seem like the logical choice to someone else. I can respect that, I just can't respect the hacks that think their party can do no wrong and always have to try and ridicule the other party.