God and American athletes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SupAcHinK

Jul 20, 2000
God does not favor one person over the other. For all you people who ask why does God care about athletes? God loves you just as much as the person next to you. When athletes thank God after a race or winning a game, they aren't saying that God picked that person over everyone to win. Merely that person is giving credit to God for giving them a chance to use their talents. God gives everyone a talent which is used to ultimately glorify God and God alone. To say that an athlete giving thanks to God is using that statement as a cover up image is wrong. Who are you to judge the intentions of others. We are not to judge people that is God's right. The bible tells us that if we are quick to judge people God will judge us with the same standards as we did to others. And those who judge others on accounts are as guilty as the person they accuse. Do you remember the event in the bible when the adulteress woman was brought before Jesus. And what did Jesus say? Those who are without sin cast the first stone. Before you take time to evaluate others, evaluate yourself.

BigKev

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2000

<< All you Canadians do is b|tch, b|tch, b|tch, b|tch, b|tch. Why don't you get a life, instead of being perpetually jealous of life in the U.S.? >>

Jealous? LMAO...hardly. Although, this thread SHOULD be about all athletes and god..not just American ones (although they do it most). So I guess fellow Canadians...just keep bitching. :D:D:D:D

UG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've yet to hear the stereotypical athlete thank god for their ability to demonstrate that their formal education is being put to equally effective, good use. ;)

Finality

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
So let me guess they'd blame god if they lose? I doubt it.

It really is more of an American 'thingy'. Not that its a bad thing but how about thanking your friends and family who've been there 24/7 for you first?

Napalm

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
Compuwiz:

I think you missed the point of the post. I was not saying that is wrong to be thankful if you believe in a God. I am saying that in a sports world full of cliches, thanking God has now become the biggest cliche of all.

Sport is game and a distraction - pure and simple. It is not about real life, there are no consequences other than one person or team wins while everyone else loses. As far as I am concerned thanking God in this manner is no different than thanking God during a card game or after some online deathmatching. If you want to be thankful, then thank your God for your health, for the health and happiness of your family and others, for peace, for good. Don't thank him for winning a race against some guy you just finished trash-talking an hour ago.

Cheers,
Napalm

flood

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
I wonder if Maurice Green and Michael Johnson blame god for their failures yesterday...
Maybe they'd say something like &quot;I hate you god! Why did you do this to me?&quot;

CyberSax

Banned
Mar 12, 2000
Canadians jelous of life in the U.S?? LOL!! What a putz!

Read Red Dawn's post, one of the few intelligent ones in his long Anandtech BBS career. My theory for why folks like Napalm are so overly concerned and obsessesed with the U.S. that they have to nitpick the most stupid, trivial sh|t, is that they're frustrated that they can't live here. So criticizing trivial aspects of American life must give them some sort of satisfaction.

I'd bet if you or that little b|tch got even tourist visa to the U.S., you'd come down here tomorrow (or as soon as you could get your dogsled ready and your igloo sold) :)

Napalm

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
Red:

While you are no doubt an intelligent guy who clearly articulates his point of view (however misguided it might be), your whole act gets tiresome after a while.

It is an act, isn't it?

Napalm

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
act or no, I agree. Why do canadians even give a crap about Americans?

we dont give a crap about them.

Netopia

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< Why do canadians even give a crap about Americans? we dont give a crap about them >>

Hmmmm.... God, about whom this thread is based, &quot;gives a crap about them&quot;. So much so that He sacrified Himself so that some of them could be saved. From that point, I personally &quot;give a crap&quot; about all men. However, bad attitudes stink.... from Canadians OR Americans!

Joe

chipbgt

Banned
Nov 30, 1999
My point was I just dont see why Canadians seem to care so much about what Americans do with there time.

Napalm

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
Red:

&quot;you both are self asorbed narcissistic mirror posers who have an over estimated value of their opinion and themselves&quot;

Thank God for that! ;)

Napalm

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Red Dawn,

Canadians have their bad apples too. The main difference is that ours are of the McIntosh or Red And Delicious kind, but they are still bruised and wormy. ;)

Now can we go back to that prick Deion Sanders? :D

Greener Pastures (No Doubt)

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Although i'm not religious by any means, I have no problem with somebody thanking someone who have gave them guidence and motivation. It could be your parents, peers or God. Athletes push themselves to the limits more than most of us do, and if they want to bark out their appreciation let them....most of them had a long way to climb.

And as far as this US-Canada debate goes...let it die..go to school, get a job, get old and die like the rest of us...nobody really cares...I like the US, and Canada...but i'm not gonna get in here fighting over it

My only problem with the Olympics in general is the win win attitude. All of the US and Canadian networks show live is the guaranteed wins or the already won local medals on tape deley. It would be nice for once to show the human side where the athelete who doesn't finish first, gets highlighted by giving it their all in true spirit. Those olympians unfortunately never get shown

Napalm

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
Kind of funny but I was just flipping the channel on TV and came across a sports show on Fox called The Last Word with Jim Rome (I think). The topic was whether religion has any place in sport.

They had Hall of Fame NFLer Deacon Jones argueing against it and the Reverend Jerry Falwell arguing for it. Falwell, of course, thought it was great because young people are exposed to it and because those with faith will do better. Jones thought that a person's religous beliefs had no influence on a game and that very often it was a huge source of conflict with &quot;prayer warriors&quot; setting up factions, trying to convert non-religious players and blaming losses on a lack of faith amongst non-religios team mates (i.e., NY Knicks).

Quite interesting.

Napalm

Chad

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999

<< Second, God came to Earth and died on the Cross as a payment for our sins so that people would not have to die an eternal death. The problem with your question is that it presupposes that this life is all there is. Consider, if eternal life and death are true, then the death He saves people from is MUCH more important than the death of this temporary shell called a body that we currently live in./q]

Wow Joe, this is very beautifully put. I agree wholeheartedly!

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Hmm, I think the social message of South Park the Movie has been lost on some of you! :( Sad. :)