Go from a AMD 960T to a G4560?

Loser Gamer

May 5, 2014
Hi. I've been using this 960T in stock form since 2011. I know the G4560 is faster and when it was $65 I bought one and it's just sitting on the table.

I am hesitant at this point to make a build considering the option from AMD now and the upcoming Coffee Lake.

Do you think I'd even notice if i did the upgrade to the G4560 coming from a 960T?

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
Do you think I'd even notice if i did the upgrade to the G4560 coming from a 960T?
Yes, but depends on what you're doing with it. An AMD quad or hexa core would still be better VFM, the same goes for certain CFL models both in terms of pure performance & perf/$ ;)

Just as an aside, was the 960T unlocked? If it was, then going to 4/6 cores would make more sense.

Loser Gamer

May 5, 2014
I can unlock it to 6 cores but I don't think I need it. I like to use as little electric as possible although it probably doesn't make a lick of difference anyways. I also don't see any difference when they are unlocked and I had some stability issues in the past when unlocked, which may have been from me tinkering with a slight OC vs the unlock.

I bet this G4560 uses a lot less juice.

I am a gamer who games at 1080p only because my G-SYNC monitor only does that res. So I am stuck here after paying $500 for this a couple years ago

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
As the G4560 is still in high demand, I would sell it now when you can get a nice premium for it.

In just 2 weeks, you'll be able to get the Coffee Lake i3 8100 that will blow the G4560 away in just about any benchmark (the 8100 should be 50% to 100% faster than the G4560 except in very light usage where they will be nearly a tie). Or the Ryzen 3 1200 would be noticeably faster than the G4560 if you wanted to stay AMD.

The only reason to keep the G4560 is if you absolutely needed it now and needed to spend as little money as humanly possible.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
Well if you don't want to spend more $ now then the G4560 is a good stopgap, there's a possibility of mainstream octa core being released by Intel next year. That'll drive down prices of many existing products &/or make them obsolete, kinda like with the i5 8400.

If you want to spend more for upgrade then you will have to offload the 960t & g4560 asap. Be advised though that CFL will not be cheap at launch, so you might have to wait a bit before you can get them at a decent price i.e. close to MSRP.

Last edited:

Loser Gamer

May 5, 2014
2 weeks? I thought Coffee Lake was further out. I think I will skip socket 1151 and either go Coffee Lake or Ryzen.

I shouldn't have an issue getting my $65 back on this CPU considering its selling closer to $100 now.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001

Loser Gamer

May 5, 2014
I advertised my g4560 for $60 on craigslist and not one hit. That is not asking too much right? I'm probably advertising in the wrong area

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I advertised my g4560 for $60 on craigslist and not one hit. That is not asking too much right? I'm probably advertising in the wrong area
I've been advertising desktop PCs, custom-built, New components, at fair prices (very little over my cost, just to cover my expenses and gas money, really), and I haven't gotten a single (legit) hit either.

I don't understand it either.

Edit: YES, I included pictures. Including benchmark screenshots.

Last edited:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I've been advertising desktop PCs, custom-built, New components, at fair prices (very little over my cost, just to cover my expenses and gas money, really), and I haven't gotten a single (legit) hit either.

I don't understand it either.
Too low end for most people's taste? Who are you trying to sell to?

Loser Gamer

May 5, 2014
Seems people are skeptical of private system builders unless its a friend now days. Heck, there really isn't no money in making systems for people..

My local pc place hires at 8 an hour now. How can you live on that when you can make more at Target? I don't mean to get off subject but being a pc builder now days is almost useless unless its for yourself. You're better off selling refub units.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Seems people are skeptical of private system builders unless its a friend now days. Heck, there really isn't no money in making systems for people..

My local pc place hires at 8 an hour now. How can you live on that when you can make more at Target? I don't mean to get off subject but being a pc builder now days is almost useless unless its for yourself. You're better off selling refub units.
It's worse then that, anyone who know enough about computers to prefer something that is not OEM is perfectly capable of building it themselves and are very likely to want to build themselves anyway. It is not hard at all to put together a rig, and hasn't been for very long time.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Just an FYI for the OP

cheapest G4560 I can find on eBay is $68 shipped. So your asking price is not out-of-line.

The G4560 is a fine chip, it's just that Coffeelake has rendered it obsolete. It was pretty nice while it lasted, though.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
You mentioned gaming at 1080p but are you experiencing any issues with your current system while gaming? What gpu are you currently using? What else do you use your pc for? Video encoding, live streaming while playing games, streaming 4k content ect might be a good reason to upgrade your cpu.
It would be helpful if you could answer my first couple of questions especially the second one. If would give us a better idea if it is your cpu or gpu that might need upgrading.

Loser Gamer

May 5, 2014
You mentioned gaming at 1080p but are you experiencing any issues with your current system while gaming? What gpu are you currently using? What else do you use your pc for? Video encoding, live streaming while playing games, streaming 4k content ect might be a good reason to upgrade your cpu.
It would be helpful if you could answer my first couple of questions especially the second one. If would give us a better idea if it is your cpu or gpu that might need upgrading.

I don't have issues at 1080p using my GTX 760. But its getting long in the tooth soon and I dip down under 60 fps sometimes, FPS games is my choice.. And when I occasionally make a video with Wondershare and add effects it is pretty slow at converting down to a file. I also have network issues where it loses connection and my laptop doesn't at the same time excluding router or modem issues. I have to restart it. And sometimes it will freeze, maybe once a week or so.

I'm ready to move on :) I may take my 760 with me to the new PC though. I'm really thinking about the lower priced Coffee Lake but then Ryzen with 4 core and 8 thread looks sweet too. But since I game mostly that Coffee might be the way.

Loser Gamer

May 5, 2014
IC it is faster. But if I sit myself into a socket 1151 on the verge of extinction now I'd be better off locking into a brand new release and paying for a $120 new CPU with 4 solid cores. If I didn't have the extra 120$ I would build the g4560 now but for $120 I'd rather be at the front of a new socket's life. I just didn't know how close Coffee was before I made this thread.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
Why not move forward with a nice Sandy or ivy bridge setup? Should be cheap nowadays

it's an interesting idea because he can keep using DDR3,
but he would need to find the right setup for it to be actually faster than the G4560, a P/Z MB and a K i5, because the stock I5s are not really much better than the G4560 for gaming and so on, and could cost more.

kwalkingcraze

Jan 2, 2017
As the G4560 is still in high demand, I would sell it now when you can get a nice premium for it.
Hold on to the resell, you won't gain much. I sold some for $77 shipped without fan/heatsink included (I use them for LGA1155 CPUs), but you need to pay the shipping fee, eBay's 10% final-value fee, and PayPal's 5% transaction fee. So, you end up between $60 and $65.

Donts00tmesanta

Feb 11, 2008
it's an interesting idea because he can keep using DDR3,
but he would need to find the right setup for it to be actually faster than the G4560, a P/Z MB and a K i5, because the stock I5s are not really much better than the G4560 for gaming and so on, and could cost more.

Depends on the gaming needs no? Games will soon be like bf1 and require more threads.

epsilon84

Golden Member
Aug 29, 2010
Depends on the gaming needs no? Games will soon be like bf1 and require more threads.
I think this is overblown somewhat... I read this a lot on these forums, that BF1 requires a highly threaded CPU (4C/8T minimum) to run well. If you expect 60fps+ at all times on 64 player maps, then sure, an i7 or perhaps Ryzen 5/7 would help in that regard. But it is far from unplayable on a 4C/4T CPU.

My desktop is still running an overclocked 2500K, and my laptop has a i5 7300HQ, both are 4C/4T chips and both run BF1 well enough. Sure, the framerate dips below 60fps when things get hectic, but its far from unplayable. In fact I've seen Youtube videos of BF1 MP running fine on the G4560: