Go FoxNews: Homicide Bomber vs. Suicide Bomber

Electrode

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
"Homicide Bomber" is one of the stupidest and most irritating examples of sensationalism that I have yet heard. Fox News decided that, since the term "Homicide" is more inflammatory and therefore more exciting, it is O.K. to misrepresent the facts to boost their ratings. Typical tabloid media.

Homicide bombing: Setting explosives with the intent of killing people. Suicide is *NOT* implied.
Suicide bombing: Blowing yourself up.

EDIT: Changed my definitions a bit. Now that I think about it, killing other people ISN'T implied by "suicide bombing".

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Electrode
"Homicide Bomber" is one of the stupidest and most irritating examples of sensationalism that I have yet heard. Fox News decided that, since the term "Homicide" is more inflammatory and therefore more exciting, it is O.K. to misrepresent the facts to boost their ratings. Typical tabloid media.

Homicide bombing: Setting a detpack or time bomb in a crowded area with the intent of killing people. Suicide is *NOT* implied.
Suicide bombing: Blowing yourself up. Killing other people is generally implied.
Bombing: Setting explosives with the intent of doing structural damage. Killing of others implied.

Not really if you just look at how they two words are defined in the dictionary. In how it has been used, yes, its implied. But that is no different that what would happen if you used the term "homicide bomber" widely. IMO, its not more "inflammatory", its more to the intent of the guy pushing the button.

speg

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2000
www.speg.com
Huh? Wouldn't a Homicide bomber set of the bomb without killing himself? Whereas a suicide bomber will detonate the bomb with full intention of killing himself...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
FoxNews continues to tell it like it really is unlike the Clinton News Network:

CNN.com: Suicide Bombing Kills 4 GIs in Central Iraq
FoxNews.com: Homicide Bomber Kills Four GIs

Fvck the liberal media!
Man what is wrong with you?. Don't we already have an enemy in Hussien? Obviously you won't be satisfied until Americans are at each others throats. I think you need to realize that this War wasn't brought about just to boost ratings for sweep week. The term "Suicid Bomber" in a universal term for this kind of terrorist act and it has nothing to do with a News Orgs. political philosophy.

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: speg
Huh? Wouldn't a Homicide bomber set of the bomb without killing himself? Whereas a suicide bomber will detonate the bomb with full intention of killing himself...

Thats my point. Neither of them inherently convey the situation in its entirety, "suicide bomber" would just be blowing himself up, "homocide bomber" would just be blowing other people up.

Electrode

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
And of the two, "suicide bomber" comes closer to the true course of events. The only guaranteed fatality is the bomber, therefore it is suicide.

All things considered, I think the media should be using the term "murder suicide" for these acts, don't you think?

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
And of the two, "suicide bomber" comes closer to the true course of events. The only guaranteed fatality is the bomber, therefore it is suicide.

All things considered, I think the media should be using the term "murder suicide" for these acts, don't you think?

But "murder-suicide bomber" just doesnt have ANY ring to it....

DarkKnight

Golden Member
Apr 21, 2001
I think the term bomber shows that the perpetrator intents to commit a homicide, so the term suicide bomber is ok.

Tates

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 25, 2000
lol.

I wonder how really low the typical IQ is of fox news followers

A comment that reflects the typical IQ that smacks of the inability to engage in an intelligent debate.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Homicide bombing: Setting explosives with the intent of killing people. Suicide is *NOT* implied.

EDIT: Changed my definitions a bit. Now that I think about it, killing other people ISN'T implied by "suicide bombing".

I find homicide bomber to be a more accurate term. Suicide implies only blowing one self up.

andreasl

Aug 25, 2000
Is it a homocide to kill enemy soldiers that have invaded your land, no matter how bad your own leadership is? (Saddam is after all the recognised leader of Iraq by all countries in the world)

Personally I don't think any of those terms really applies here, but if I had to pick I would pick suicide bomber. The fact I don't like that either is because suicide bombers have been accociated with attacks on civilian populations, especially in Israel.

That attack is not of the illegal kind, but most armies would discourage their soldiers from conducting such for obvious reasons. Hiding behind civilians and faking surrender is illegal though....

seawolf21

Feb 27, 2003

Huh? Killing other people is implied in suicide bombing...else it is just suicide.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
GTa, you have the unique ability to see a liberal vs. conservative conflict where there is none.

And yes, "suicide" bomber is the more accurate of the two. There have been plenty of situations in Israel where a suicide bomber dies and only manages to injure several others. As others have mentioned, the term itself has been used for years to describe exactly this type of attack. Homicide bomber would be someone like McVeigh or the guys that set of unmanned car bombs.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
One of the reasons I stopped watching Fox News. Flag waiving and cliches do not a news network make.
That and that I cancelled cable, and only have basic cable now. Cspan is much better. They show bbc too.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Let's look at the definition of these words........

Homicide......a person who kills another person
Bomber......one who makes and sets off bombs
Suicide......The act or an instance of intentionally killing oneself

Homicide bomber is a more accurate representation of what has actually taken place, since it implies that someone has used a bomb to kill others. If nobody else is killed, suicide bomber is more accurate. And don't give me any crap about the bomber not intending to kill others. If that was the case they would be blowing themselves up in the middle of the desert, not in buses and crowded streets.....
rolleye.gif

Morph

Banned
Oct 14, 1999
'Homicide' is a term that is not really applicable in war. Except maybe when you are dropping bombs on civilians.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Morph
There is no such thing as 'homicide' in war. Except maybe when you are dropping bombs on civilians.

Would you consider those Iraqi Surface to Air Missles that missed their targets and fell back to Baghdad landing in those markets killing scores of Iraqi Civilians Homicide?

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Homicide is the act of killing another person. Of course in war there is homicide. That is kind of the idea. The question is whether or not it is justified, and in this case it is, since we are at war with Iraq......

Morph

Banned
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: Morph
There is no such thing as 'homicide' in war. Except maybe when you are dropping bombs on civilians.

Would you consider those Iraqi Surface to Air Missles that missed their targets and fell back to Baghdad landing in those markets killing scores of Iraqi Civilians Homicide?

Of course, it had to be an Iraqi missile. Because there's no way an American missile would kill a civilian. Go ahead, enjoy your state of denial. I'll be happy to change my mind when you provide me with some PROOF that it wasn't a US missile.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

Completely wrong. If suicide is the intention you'd do it alone and you wouldn't need explosives. Drive your camel off a bridge, play with a toaster in your bathtub filled with hummis or hang yourself with your burnoose. You wrap yourself in explosives and drive to a public location with the express purpose of commiting HOMICIDE. Your own death is just a byproduct of the weapons you chose to kill others.