Glyde For Ge-force 3?

Laith

Mar 16, 2001
Im a new member here so I don't know if you have already discussed this topic. My question is: Will Ge-force 3 based cards use 3dfx GLYDE grapics interface (or Drivers,whatever) since we know that Nvidia has bought 3dfx?
Anyone knows anything please tell us.
Thanks

RoboTECH

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2000
glide is a hardware-based API

in other words, you have to have the hardware to truly support it

glide will die soon enough, especially now that 3dfx has been swallowed

RoboTECH

Platinum Member
Jun 16, 2000
Lucifer, perhaps you missed what I wrote

glide is hardware specific

unless nvidia starts incorporating SST architecture into their boards, don't expect to see glide working on nvidia boards anytime soon

Yoshi

Golden Member
Nov 6, 1999
If you need Glide toss a Voodoo2 in your system with your regular card.

Dark4ng3l

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2000
The future 3dfx technology was not even going tu support glide. Even if nvidia uses it they wont have glide support.

Finality

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thats correct. Rampage was never going to have Glide technology.

With the advent of DX8 all APIs are nearly dead. The exception being OGL which will remain for its portability.

Is SGI doing anything to update OGL?

gogeeta13

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
no offense intended, but being new has nothing to do with your question. To answer your question no. in the future it is possible that we may see a glide product with a nvidia label on it. nvidea recently aquired 3dfx and all their technologies and patents.

Keeksy

Dec 25, 2000
I'll take OpenGL over DX7 any day. It's faster, less buggy, and produces better looking images. DX8 may be different, but we'll have to wait and see. I'd like OpenGL to stay. It'll insure that games continue to ship for other operating systems like Linux or Mac OS. Wouldn't Microsoft be happy if that weren't possible. :(