Gloria Steinem

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Exophase

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2012
Not really, the statement is clear that they comprise the 'vast majority of those adversely affected'. That's a pretty solid endorsement. If that's not good enough for you, so be it.

Yeah and they can say that because children are a LARGE group. Especially in a lot of war zones today where the birth rate is high. Look at Gaza, children (under 18) are over half the population!

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I remember when people tried to selectively quote a statement about war that when you looked at the whole thing she was pretty much right, haha.

http://www.snopes.com/hillary-clinton-victims-of-war/

Is that what you meant?

She is literally saying that being forced to leave your home and raise a child as a single parent is a punishment worse than death. I'm amazed any mother would agree with that sentence.
"Yeah! I hate my kids too, and I wish I were dead! Hillary is just like me!"

It's a lot easier to just think like a liberal and consider all those war deaths as nothing more than very late term abortions. They're not anyone people like Eskimospy will miss, just clumps of cells that not being around saves taxpayer money anyway.

Clinton.jpg

Nov 30, 2006
Enough to tell you that "pedantic" is an adjective (the noun you failed to stumble upon is "pedant") and that, in any case, intellectual honesty in debate is not a minor detail to me, as it seems to be to you.

Let me be blunt with you. You're either too lazy or too stupid to have an honest political conversation with.

In either case, you have herein proved yourself to be unembarrassed to be shown to be factually wrong by the very quotes you link to and then quote. That's telling in the extreme. :(
Your intellectual honesty must give you great pride. I stand corrected for wrongly using the adjective 'pedantic' as a noun. My apologies.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
So it's pedantic to point out gross mischaracterization of the punishments of Vichy collaborators, but not pedantic to criticize Clinton for calling women the primary victims or war, since they're only raped, beaten, and killed.

Just want to make sure I understand this thread.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
So it's pedantic to point out gross mischaracterization of the punishments of Vichy collaborators, but not pedantic to criticize Clinton for calling women the primary victims or war, since they're only raped, beaten, and killed.

Before war, you start with 10 men and 10 women. After the war, you're left with 5 men and 7 women. Hillary would then conclude that women were the primary victims of the conflict because 2 of those women are now single mothers.

Doesn't it seem ironic that Hillary and certain people on the left actively encourage single motherhood by removing child care benefits if a woman is married or common law married? She acknowledges that single motherhood is worse than death, and she's more than happy to share this plague with urban dwellers, poor people, minorities, etc. Today, about 70% of black babies are born out of wedlock. Before the government's war on black people, also known as the war on poverty, the rate of bastard children in black communities was exceptionally low.

Nov 30, 2006

Many words can be used both literally and figuratively. However, some people apparently struggle with such common nuances of conversation. A literalist can take great satisfaction in pointing out the "obvious" errors of others...while ironically, completely missing the obvious, that there never was any real intention to be completely literal...intending to give extreme emphasis to a statement instead.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Many words can be used both literally and figuratively. However, some people apparently struggle with such common nuances of conversation. A literalist can take great satisfaction in pointing out the "obvious" errors of others...while ironically, completely missing the obvious, that there never was any real intention to be completely literal...intending to give extreme emphasis to a statement instead.

Therefore, you have zero problem with what Hilary Clinton said about women and war, right?

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Therefore, you have zero problem with what Hilary Clinton said about women and war, right?

I don't know if I'd grant her that one.

If someone wanted to pose a defense of it... they could claim she meant "also" victims of war. But it sure sounded like it was delivered definitively. If she was willing to recant the statement and alter it to be more inclusive... then sure, it could be water under the bridge.

Though I wouldn't count it as an important issue either.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I don't know if I'd grant her that one.

If someone wanted to pose a defense of it... they could claim she meant "also" victims of war. But it sure sounded like it was delivered definitively. If she was willing to recant the statement and alter it to be more inclusive... then sure, it could be water under the bridge.

Though I wouldn't count it as an important issue either.

Because to people like Hillary this "logic" allows her to claim victim staus more often for women. Sure, men might get the occasional "men suffer most when women die in childbirth" but otherwise it's mostly women. *women suffer most when orders of magnitude more men go to jail" or "women suffer most when more men are murdered" or "women suffer most from mens' lower life expectancy."

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
It's a lot easier to just think like a liberal and consider all those war deaths as nothing more than very late term abortions. They're not anyone people like Eskimospy will miss, just clumps of cells that not being around saves taxpayer money anyway.

Clinton.jpg

I wonder if she actually believes this nonsense feminist rhetoric, or if she is just espousing more 'poetry' for the masses?

She tells so many lies I would second guess anything she says. At this point, if she told me 2+2=4, I would reach for a calculator.

Last edited:

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Before war, you start with 10 men and 10 women. After the war, you're left with 5 men and 7 women. Hillary would then conclude that women were the primary victims of the conflict because 2 of those women are now single mothers.

Or maybe she's considering that the five men no longer with us had mothers and sisters in addition to wives and children?

Doesn't it seem ironic that Hillary and certain people on the left actively encourage single motherhood by removing child care benefits if a woman is married or common law married? She acknowledges that single motherhood is worse than death, and she's more than happy to share this plague with urban dwellers, poor people, minorities, etc. Today, about 70% of black babies are born out of wedlock. Before the government's war on black people, also known as the war on poverty, the rate of bastard children in black communities was exceptionally low.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but if there's a specific benefit or policy you want to talk about, you could just say what it is.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Or maybe she's considering that the five men no longer with us had mothers and sisters in addition to wives and children?

So men who die in war can have mothers and sisters who suffer, but not fathers and brothers?

Someone wants to claim that women are victims of war? Great, I'm right behind you. War makes everyone a victim. But to claim women are the primary victims? That's pandering at it's worst, and what Hillary does best. Play to whatever room she's in at the time, even if she stabs her audience in the collective back the second she leaves the auditorium.

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
So men who die in war can have mothers and sisters who suffer, but not fathers and brothers?

Someone wants to claim that women are victims of war? Great, I'm right behind you. War makes everyone a victim. But to claim women are the primary victims? That's pandering at it's worst, and what Hillary does best. Play to whatever room she's in at the time, even if she stabs her audience in the collective back the second she leaves the auditorium.
Don't forget the five men that are permanently scarred and traumatized from being in a war for years!

My grandfather came back from WW2. He never spoke of what happened, even when he was drunk. Which was often, because he used alcohol as a coping mechanism.

-----------
Trying to defend this shit is the epitome of intellectual dishonesty! If you people had an ounce of integrity you would condemn this statement.

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
One man's nuance is another's sledgehammer, and yet to another a faint breeze ruffling their comb-over.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012

Everybody knows that men have no emotions and can be thrown in the trash as needed. If men actually cared about other human beings, we would expect men to die very soon after their wives die.
men more likely to die after losing their wife, but women carry on as normal
Oh, woops. I guess men care after all. This is part of that evolved war bride thing I mentioned before. Women are a lot colder because it's part of survival. Men died all the time, and the women more capable of dealing with that stress made better rape trophies war brides. This also explains why women seem more "beautiful" than men. Hot chicks made great war brides. Less attractive women don't fare as well.

Don't forget the five. men that are permanently scarred and traumatized from being in a war for years!
More conspiracy theories! Everybody knows Shell Shock is a fake illness. Fucking fake veterans and their fake suicide rates. They're all traitors and deserve it.
men and their fake "post traumatic stress disorder" nonsense (WW1 documentary part 1/4)

Last edited:

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
Looks like she did no favors to Clinton by insulting all young women as if they were dumb airheads with no selfcontrol looking for boys by voting for Sanders.