Global Warming... On Jupiter!

Jun 27, 2005
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap080523.html

Explanation: For about 300 years Jupiter's banded atmosphere has shown a remarkable feature to telescopic viewers, a large swirling storm system known as The Great Red Spot. In 2006, another red storm system appeared, actually seen to form as smaller whitish oval-shaped storms merged and then developed the curious reddish hue. Now, Jupiter has a third red spot, again produced from a smaller whitish storm. All three are seen in this image made from data recorded on May 9 and 10 with the Hubble Space Telescope's Wide Field and Planetary Camera 2. The spots extend above the surrounding clouds and their red color may be due to deeper material dredged up by the storms and exposed to ultraviolet light, but the exact chemical process is still unknown. For scale, the Great Red Spot has almost twice the diameter of planet Earth, making both new spots less than one Earth-diameter across. The newest red spot is on the far left (west), along the same band of clouds as the Great Red Spot and is drifting toward it. If the motion continues, the new spot will encounter the much larger storm system in August. Jupiter's recent outbreak of red spots is likely related to large scale climate change as the gas giant planet is getting warmer near the equator.

So it's possible that Jupiter is warming... and there have been reports of Mars warming...

I'm not saying that man has NO impact on Earth's climate but isn't it possible that there is more going on here than just CO2?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Give Whoseyerdaddy a somewhat belated bingo, its been know for some years that solar output is slightly increasing driving up the temperatures on a number of other planets in the solar system.

But its also know that slightly increased solar output is only one of quite a number of other factors driving up global warming on earth. And by itself, this unitary solar activity increase cannot yet begin to account for what is happening on earth. Nor do we even know the exact cyclical nature of it beyond the well understood 11 year sun spot cycle.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Repeat after me: humans are not the cause for global warming, they are simply a contributing factor. What fraction of the overall warming is due to human influence is the open question. If it it's 0.000000001%, then making changes to prevent that contribution is useless. If on the other hand the contribution is significant, then some measures are warranted and the conversation should change to "what do we change and how".

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
Repeat after me: humans are not the lone cause for global warming, they are simply a contributing factor. What fraction of the overall warming is due to human influence is the open question. If it it's 0.000000001%, then making changes to prevent that contribution is useless. If on the other hand the contribution is significant, then some measures are warranted and the conversation should change to "what do we change and how".

Fixed but I pretty much agree.

FWIW I'm pretty sure we don't have near the historical scientific data of Jupiter like we have here on Earth so I'm not sure this (the OP) is really relevant.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: AnnonUSA
Solar Warming rains an inconvenient truth on Al Gore's Parade...

Only if you're completely ignorant of the science behind global warming of course, but hey who's counting?

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Only if you're completely ignorant of the science behind global warming of course, but hey who's counting?

Science??? I thought it was a belief system.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: dphantom

Well, now you know better.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
Originally posted by: dphantom

Well, now you know better.

cough cough

Cuda1447

Lifer
Jul 26, 2002

So are you saying that you believe the science behind global warming? You believe that humans are having a significant effect on our climate?

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
I don't mean to hijack this thread away from politics and back to the original post, but that's pretty cool. It would be really neat to see the storms merge and form one big super spot.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
it's only a matter of time before we have space hippies concerned about the health of the universe