global warming is a myth!

Gnurb

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2001
If you  go to:

http://www.junkscience.com/news/robinson.htm

you can read an article published by Drs. Robinson and Robinson from the Wall Street Journal. Leftist politicians hate our highly industrial society with a passion and have used the myth of global warming to promote their political agenda.

There is no significant global warming. Some  slight warming occurred in the last 100 years but it seems to be due to increased sun spot activity. In the last 20 years in fact the global temperature has shown some cooling despite increased levels of greenhouse gases (predominantly CO2).

Satellites that can measure the temperature of 99% of the earth's surface (versus regional surface measurements that have never measured more than 40% of the surface ) have NOT shown any global warming.

These same leftist anti-industrialists predicted catastrophic global cooling in the late 1970's! There is not one Democratic candidate for president who does not harp on the myth that Bush is causing a global apocalypse because Bush has refused to sign the Kyoto proposal to limit industrial activity throughout the world.

Thank God we did not get "Earth in the Balance" Al Gore for president!

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

Prepare for the onslaught. You've questioned an article of faith for some here, and you'll be branded as a heretic for speaking out against their worldview. Reason, science, and common-sense be damned, they'll believe and defend global warming like the Catholics did in defending the geocentric view of the universe.

Napalm

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999
I am not a global warming expert, but I am a scientist - so I feel that I am qualified to make a couple of simple points regarding the article:

1) Not a single point in the article is properly referenced - the norm for any scientific paper
2) It was not originally published by a peer reviewed journal - the norm for any scientific paper
3) It was published by the Wall Street Journal - a source that might have some sort of commercial bias in slagging global warming
4) The authors were chemists - not experts in climate change

Fluff IMHO...

N

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Napalm
I am not a global warming expert, but I am a scientist - so I feel that I am qualified to make a couple of simple points regarding the article:

1) Not a single point in the article is properly referenced - the norm for any scientific paper
2) It was not originally published by a peer reviewed journal - the norm for any scientific paper
3) It was published by the Wall Street Journal - a source that might have some sort of commercial bias in slagging global warming

Fluff IMHO...

N

Two words... Kyoto Accord.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: daniel1113

Fluff IMHO...

N

Meaning?

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Global cooling is even greater danger ! What is Bush proposing to do about this new global cooling phenomena ??

Bush causes new ICE AGE !!

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch
Global cooling is even greater danger ! What is Bush proposing to do about this new global cooling phenomena ??

good, i like the cold.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: glenn1

Prepare for the onslaught. You've questioned an article of faith for some here, and you'll be branded as a heretic for speaking out against their worldview. Reason, science, and common-sense be damned, they'll believe and defend global warming like the Catholics did in defending the geocentric view of the universe.

The blinkeredness of your arguement is matched only by the rabid fanaticism by a minority of those on BOTH sides of the debate - to whom I guess your referring to on one side.

Anyone care to point out how in the light of the total evidence collected so far we are near 100% sure GW is occuring/not occuring?

No? Well then maybe we should err on the side of caution and not make too many sweeping and generalised statements.

Cheers,

Andy

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: sandorski

Fluff IMHO...

N

Meaning?

he's just comparing fluff to fluff. which of course doesn't justify fluff.

but really, u'd think europe would adopt and impliment kyoto regardless of whether others did it if it were so good and reasonable. they do have controlling green parties after all. course they didn't, its just another anti american bash effort.

Grakatt

Feb 27, 2003
Global warming is necessary for our survival here you numbskull. It is the increased rate of it that is worrying. And this 'myth' seems to have some real endurance, no?
In 1995 the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, appointed by the U.N, consisting of relevant scientists from all over the planet, said there existed a "discernable human influence" on the global climate.
In 200, the IPPC said in a new report that "there is new and stronger evidence that most of the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities." Additionally, they predicted that the average temperature of the globe can increase between one-and-a-half and five degrees celcius during the coming 100 years, which is a faster increase than has happened during the last 10 000 years, as far as anyone can say(although since this absolute last bit cannot be absolutely proven it will likely be debated because of until a Jokuhlhaups claims us all.

When looking at climate change, it sort of all depends on which scale you use. Timescale, that is. Most of these are slightly scary however.
Since the start of global temperature measurement at the start of the last century or so, 17 (now a few more) of the hottest years have occured post 1980.

Saying that the 'slight warming' is chiefly due to 'increased sun spot activity' will be a commonly held opinion by environmental scientists around the globe the day George W Bush wears a reasonably normal facial expression.

Ah, anyways, to conclude in a slightly less rabid way haha, I will say this: Put the erring on the right side. To say that 'There isn't enough evidence to take any steps..' is simply stupid, because were this a myth you'd see global condemnation of the 'theory' of global warming :rolleyes:

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Genesys
Originally posted by: Dead Parrot Sketch

good, i like the cold.

Good me too, it has to be cold to burn all the Firewood from cutting down all the Forests.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

Fluff IMHO...

N

Meaning?

but really, u'd think europe would adopt and impliment kyoto regardless of whether others did it if it were so good and reasonable. they do have controlling green parties after all. course they didn't, its just another anti american bash effort.

Something had to be done and Kyoto was to be just a start. Without certain key players the attempt becomes pointless as the problem is Global and not Local. AFAIK many European countries will still implement it, but unless others do something outside of Kyoto, the implementation will be in vain.

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: glenn1

The geocentric view of the universe was not defended due to the people's desire to be irresponsible to nature. Nevermind global warming or Kyoto, glenn1. Because as long as there's right-wing motivated detractors you can cite, you'll always find a way to convince yourself and others that this isn't going on.

How about that common sense you think you're so full of? How about putting his own cronies in to head the EPA and whoring out the environment for campaign dollars? How about watering down every single EPA legislation for his lobbyists? Where's the common sense in that? Where's the sense of responsiblity?

Arrogance has convinced you and many Americans that this is okay. Rampant irresponsibility is never okay, not even for a country as powerful as the US. If your "sense" doesn't tell you that then you are truely sorry.

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Can we now discredit this article as right wing propaganda with no scientific basis and move on, or does someone need me to further explain why this is a steaming pile of BS?

Lush Environment

What mankind is doing is moving hydrocarbons from below ground and turning them into living things. We are living in an increasingly lush environment of plants and animals as a result of the carbon dioxide increase. Our children will enjoy an Earth with twice as much plant and animal life as that with which we now are blessed. This is a wonderful and unexpected gift from the industrial revolution.

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Global warming doomsdayers make me laugh.:p Even IF it were true - there would be little we could do to stop it.

And people wonder why they are viewed as "environmental wackos" :p

CkG

You mean there would be little you would be willing to do...

Trying to group responsible people in with the wackos doesn't really help you Cad. You and the other neocons here have ducked every single issue dealing with the question of accountability presented, and smokescreened with rightwinged fluff like the BS I quoted... which you will probably shrug off anyway.

You guys are too proud and arrogant to change. I feel sorry for this country if they are all like you people. America could have been great for longer...

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: busmaster11
Global warming doomsdayers make me laugh.:p Even IF it were true - there would be little we could do to stop it.

And people wonder why they are viewed as "environmental wackos" :p

CkG

You mean there would be little you would be willing to do...

Trying to group responsible people in with the wackos doesn't really help you Cad. You and the other neocons here have ducked every single issue dealing with the question of accountability presented, and smokescreened with rightwinged fluff like the BS I quoted... which you will probably shrug off anyway.

You guys are too proud and arrogant to change. I feel sorry for this country if they are all like you people. America could have been great for longer...

Hehe - if only you had a clue about me.:D You can start by reading my other posts about "enviromental issues". I just get a chuckle out of people like that Moser lady in my link. That's all I heard on the local radio news yesterday was this whining wacko talking about how "bad" it's going to get. Well, I have news for you all - There is little that can (and/or will - like you said) to change global warming IF it really is true. However, ignoring the environment isn't the answer either. There needs to be a balance and some reality put in people's envirnmental stances.:)

CkG

Wolfdog

Aug 25, 2001
Just this last year the ozone hole split into two. We have drastic ice melting in the arctic regions, with weather and climate changes everywhere. Ice shelfs are melting away and no one seems to care. The Robinson report is wrong, plain and simple. Made by morons, for the morons that believe them. We have the technology to cut emmisions vastly, but won't since it costs money. If not now then when? When the planet is so screwed up that it won't matter? We have seen the direct result of this these few last summers. They are getting hotter and hotter a few tenths of degrees every year. Winter weather is also been shown to be shifting. By people in the know.

Even if you cast all that aside, the environment is getting flushed down the toilet. There is acid rain killing natural habitants in lakes and rivers. Now I'm not a environmentalist by any means, but I would like to see some overall improvement in the way that things are done. This is the US and we should be leading the way in technology. There is no wonder why cancer rates are increasing, we are pumping more into the air and into the water than most of the other industrialized nations combined. The report was probably paid by Bush, since he didn't even care about the kyoto treaty. Which would have helped curb pollution on a worldwide scale. Oh it costs too much. Way to lead the way Bush! :(

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Wolfdog
Just this last year the ozone hole split into two. We have drastic ice melting in the arctic regions, with weather and climate changes everywhere. Ice shelfs are melting away and no one seems to care. The Robinson report is wrong, plain and simple. Made by morons, for the morons that believe them. We have the technology to cut emmisions vastly, but won't since it costs money. If not now then when? When the planet is so screwed up that it won't matter? We have seen the direct result of this these few last summers. They are getting hotter and hotter a few tenths of degrees every year. Winter weather is also been shown to be shifting. By people in the know.

Even if you cast all that aside, the environment is getting flushed down the toilet. There is acid rain killing natural habitants in lakes and rivers. Now I'm not a environmentalist by any means, but I would like to see some overall improvement in the way that things are done. This is the US and we should be leading the way in technology. There is no wonder why cancer rates are increasing, we are pumping more into the air and into the water than most of the other industrialized nations combined. The report was probably paid by Bush, since he didn't even care about the kyoto treaty. Which would have helped curb pollution on a worldwide scale. Oh it costs too much. Way to lead the way Bush! :(

You mean people like Moser in my link? They are "in the know"? Buahahaha She's a nutjob - plain and simple. But it's nice to see you try to lay this at the feet of Bush. Way to show you really care about the environment by trying to put it on the shoulders of the politicians. IF YOU ARE SO CONCERNED - DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT - don't just blame xxx or yyy - DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

CkG

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

You mean people like Moser in my link? They are "in the know"? Buahahaha She's a nutjob - plain and simple. But it's nice to see you try to lay this at the feet of Bush. Way to show you really care about the environment by trying to put it on the shoulders of the politicians. IF YOU ARE SO CONCERNED - DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT - don't just blame xxx or yyy - DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

CkG

What exactly would you like for him to do about it personally? Leadership and Policy starts at the top not the other way around.

Not that I'm saying there is anything wrong with the current Policy and Administration at the top, they are doing a great job making sure the U.S. uses all of it's resources to ship overseas to re-build Nations and fuel the Economies over there while making this Economy Boom and soar too.

1-7-2004 Study: Warming May Spark Mass Extinctions

"I think this is going to be third horseman in that particular apocalypse," said Fitter, who has documented how global warming is forcing some spring flowers to bloom increasingly early in Britain.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apocalypse? Oh come now, everything is absolutely perfect, we don't need no stinking trees, or clean air either, please.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

CkG

What exactly would you like for him to do about it personally? Leadership and Policy starts at the top not the other way around.

Not that I'm saying there is anything wrong with the current Policy and Administration at the top, they are doing a great job making sure the U.S. uses all of it's resources to ship overseas to re-build Nations and fuel the Economies over there while making this Economy Boom and soar too.

Study: Warming May Spark Mass Extinctions

And who do you think policy comes from? - PEOPLE!. The way to go about this isn't for people to try to doom and gloom us into changing - it's BEING REALISTIC that will gain you support. Environmental wackos don't understand that concept. They seem to think that the gloomier their guesses are - the more people might believe them.:p The problem for them is that people don't usually believe people who rant and rave and scream in the streets.
Tone down the rhetoric and maybe...just maybe people will be open to trying to change their ways. Realism works - Extremism will get you shunned no matter what your issue is.

CkG

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

CkG

Study: Warming May Spark Mass Extinctions

And who do you think policy comes from? - PEOPLE!. The way to go about this isn't for people to try to doom and gloom us into changing - it's BEING REALISTIC that will gain you support. Environmental wackos don't understand that concept. They seem to think that the gloomier their guesses are - the more people might believe them.:p The problem for them is that people don't usually believe people who rant and rave and scream in the streets.
Tone down the rhetoric and maybe...just maybe people will be open to trying to change their ways. Realism works - Extremism will get you shunned no matter what your issue is.

CkG

unless of course its Islamic extremeism, then the UN loves you and wants to protect you :D

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

Fluff IMHO...

N

Meaning?

Something had to be done and Kyoto was to be just a start. Without certain key players the attempt becomes pointless as the problem is Global and not Local. AFAIK many European countries will still implement it, but unless others do something outside of Kyoto, the implementation will be in vain.

bull. as you said, just a start. if the european countries impliemented it, nothing would happen? i don't think so, they'd atleast have a cleaner enviroment and the moral high ground and leadership. if its the right thing to do, why does it matter if others dont. it would be just a start. the european countries didn't impliement it because they knew it was just an antiamerican political move. with giant double standards for other polluting countries like china to be completely exempt from the law. if its a global problem then allowing exemptions should make it pointless. well.. thats true. its quite pointless and unfair.