Glass Repair

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I got a chip/crack starting to form in my windshield, how much is the going rate to get 1 chip/crack repaired?

Did the safelite quote thing and it said like 110 dollars, seems high to me.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
It's gonna get more expensive the longer you wait.

Yeah, I know. The wife noticed it today for the first time. would like to get it taken care of before it gets warm out tomorrow. I left one go on my old ranger years ago, and it grew from the far passenger side all the way to the middle and went up.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
I got a chip/crack starting to form in my windshield, how much is the going rate to get 1 chip/crack repaired?

Did the safelite quote thing and it said like 110 dollars, seems high to me.
no glass coverage on your car ins. i take it?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You can fix it yourself depending on the kind of damage. Bullseye chips are easy to fix. I don't know about the other kinds, but it would be worth looking into.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
I dunno, I thought it'd be like 5 minute procedure, 30 bucks and be out the door. I dunno what the going rate is other than what safelite said.
who do you get car insurance through?

I know Geico contracts with safelite. they come right to your house/place of business and fix or replace the windshield free if you have glass coverage.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
who do you get car insurance through?

I know Geico contracts with safelite. they come right to your house/place of business and fix or replace the windshield free if you have glass coverage.

Progressive, and I just looked online. they do cover it, so I'll probably check look into getting it repaired thru them as there is no deductible as spidey mentioned.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Progressive, and I just looked online. they do cover it, so I'll probably check look into getting it repaired thru them as there is no deductible as spidey mentioned.
:thumbsup:

I bet they do the Safelite thing too as they pretty much go head to head with Geico.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Safelite came out and repaired 4 spider-web type cracks in my windshield for free.

Love Progressive.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Safelite came out and repaired 4 spider-web type cracks in my windshield for free.

Love Progressive.

Progressive, or any other ins co, doesn't repair chips out of the kindness of their hearts. They do it to avoid a full glass claim down the road, or worse, a neglected crack that makes a car accident much worse in terms of bodily injury.

It's a win for you too, though, in safety and cost.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

I've replaced many a windshield (at least two from me punching the windshield, you'd be surprised at how easily they shatter). Normally you call up the glass company, they come out to your work or home, replace it, and you're done. The glass company takes care of everything and files the claim from insurance.

It's a safety thing. For all you loving your insurance, this is state law in most places, it's not your insurance.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
I've replaced many a windshield (at least two from me punching the windshield, you'd be surprised at how easily they shatter). Normally you call up the glass company, they come out to your work or home, replace it, and you're done. The glass company takes care of everything and files the claim from insurance.

It's a safety thing. For all you loving your insurance, this is state law in most places, it's not your insurance.

I did a claim online just now, said a claims person would call before 10 tomorrow morning. Not sure if that was smart or not, progressives site said to do it. Hopefully I can get it fixed before it gets too hot outside.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
What kind of car? Just out of curiosity.
Some cars can be really hard to fix without causing extra damage.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
For all you loving your insurance, this is state law in most places, it's not your insurance.

Not a state law in colorado... in fact, because of the location... insurance does NOT have to cover glass.. Geico doesn't ... Allstate doesnt... State Farm doesnt.... not in colorado.

progressive does.