Giving up on PC gaming

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Given what he's talked about with his massive home theater set up in other threads, he either needs to expand his knowledge base or he's just being whiny because he spent a ton of money but doesn't know how to use it all effectively.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Well after poking around the "exclusives" on PS4 there is nothing really worth switching for and the few games this year that I actually want to play will be on PC. Meh. Time to pick a new GPU.

woah fastest backtrack ever?

criticisms in OP sound just like grumpy-guy-grumbles. No real complaints here.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
And the consoles also require massive updates, so the internet issue would have still been a problem.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
woah fastest backtrack ever?

criticisms in OP sound just like grumpy-guy-grumbles. No real complaints here.

I don't think it's that, so much as the OP not realizing that his problems with PC gaming are the same exact problems with console gaming.

e.g.: it's an industry problem and not a platform problem. It seems that whether or not he read the comments in this thread and compared them to his initial research, he has reached the same conclusion.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
for me, PC or Die.
as i got older, i narrowed the spectrum of game genres i'm willing to play down to RPGs and TBSs, and there are SO MANY games out there for me i will never have enough time to play them all.

This. Played HL1, CS etc over and over in my younger days but now I'm bored by a shooter in a half hour. Spending 100s of hours in EU4, CK2 or cities skylines though somehow still "works" for me. Also advantage that my 3+ year old GPU is perfectly fine:) Deep and/or strategy games are rare or nonexistent on consoles from what I can tell so I'll stick to PC, even if it's an old one.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
AAA titles on console have much larger playerbase.

I can boot up my 360 and hop right into a match of any old COD.

On PC Advanced Warfare is like a lobby simulator.

I played the beta of the counter strike mod in 1999. I can still easily find a full server of (more or less) the same game. Show me a console game from 1999 that you can play multiplayer right now :D

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
My PS4 gets some use, Salt and Sanctuary and Bloodborne were simply awesome, but wow the load times on Bloodborne were simply unforgivable. I preordered Dark Souls 3.. it's for Steam, I'm not going to do those load times whenever I can help it.

My problem with PS4 and Xbone is they simply are way too underpowered and were from day one. The PS4.5 is complete assurance that is a true statement also. If they are even expecting to get 5 years out of a console it should have had way better GPU's with at least 4GB of video memory.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Never thought this time would come but purchasing a PS4 this week. Ran the whole gamut from AMD cards to a Titan and 780 Ti and now I've given up. Nvidia murdered Kepler and I'd bet money the same will happen to Maxwell. Too much multiplayer rubbish, games that are too fat and take an age to download and install (the internet here is trash, still games are too obese), endless DLC, shiny new GPUs for what - extra shininess?

Never had a PS3 and with most decent titles remastered on PS4, its over PC. :(

Sounds like you just moved to another platform with the same problems plus some new ones thrown in for good measure...to each his own. :thumbsup:

-KeithP

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I guess I haven't had a console in over a decade, last one we had we ended up giving to a single mom my wife worked with for her daughter one Christmas.

I used to PC Game to a crazy degree, haven't much lately, but even always used a keyboard and trackball myself for a long time, I think this is at least my 5th trackball I'm using with the main rig.

I still prefer a PC for gaming.

I even have a trackball on the wireless keyboard on the bedroom HTPC, I've never cared much for mice.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
Don't know why OP feels he needs to buy a new GPU, my GPU is like 3 years old, cost like $250 and plays all the games I have. Sure, I don't play them at super ultra high resolution or 300x antialiasing, but honestly, I don't notice much difference. Besides, even at my 'normal' resolution, games still look better than in a console. Besides, games are MUCH cheaper (can't remember last time I paid more than $40 for a game, and most of the times I pay around $20 by waiting just a couple of months after release). Games on console start more expensive, last longer before they go on sale, and when they do the sale is like 25% discount if that. And then let's not forget having to pay $50 a year for the privilege of playing online with your friends.

Last edited:

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
All my PS4 has been good for is Bloodborne and The Last of Us Remastered. It won't get use again until TLOU 2 comes out. Not much is worth resorting to peasantry. :D

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
AAA titles on console have much larger playerbase.

I can boot up my 360 and hop right into a match of any old COD.

On PC Advanced Warfare is like a lobby simulator.

This.

Unless it's BF4, most games I play on Steam have *vastly* fewer players than on console.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The multiplayer is worse on consoles because lame 14 year old children all have consoles and you will have to listen to them piss in your ear while you play. Those kids can't afford a real PC so you don't deal with them as much on PC.

Or just use the mic with party chat among friends only.