Giving up on PC gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Platform never mattered to me much (I do prefer keyboard/mouse). To me the ONLY significant question is will the platform be able to decently handle the game(s) I really want to play?

digiram

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2004
Console is just a pc that's easier to connect to your tv. You'll run into the same issues with game sizes, patches, etc.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
It really depends on the game. I tried playing Witcher 3 with kb&m and it was awful. So many games are ports now that many just play better with a controller.

Trine 1 & 2 and Sonic All-Stars Racing are excellent examples of what you mention... :\

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
It really depends on the game. I tried playing Witcher 3 with kb&m and it was awful. So many games are ports now that many just play better with a controller.

I use whatever input device works best for me in a game. Heck some games I use both, like GTA drive around with controller, on foot use m/kb.

At least pc gives you the freedom to choose. Hate that I have no native option on PS4.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
The only games I actually "enjoy" playing on consoles are sports games, mostly because the controller input seems far more suited to them than KBM. That and it's really hard to get console franchise monopoly titles on the PC... :\

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011

Proof or GTFO. PC gamers are mature, adult-like and can afford to pay the entry cost of a real man's gaming experience. That video has to be fake. My brethren would not act like that. Oh wait...that was counter strike? That game gets 200fps running on integrated graphics. NM its probably real.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
many console games now have multi-gigabyte patches...so you won't necessarily be escaping massive downloads.

ATPCG will be still be here should you decide to return to the fold of the master race ;)

i was trying to figure this out too, now that the 2 major consoles are almost PC's in a BOX to make devs a bit happier they can port the game to all platforms. The games are pretty much the same across all setups, same DLC, same downloads, same Multiplayer (different crowds)etc.. Now if one wants to talk about hardware issue, thats a conversation that might have some traction. Turn your PC game down to TV resolutions, it will run alot faster etc.

A so many stated, why not both?

maybe just a great troll.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005

Which is no big deal when either the 360 controller or a Xbone controller works so well.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
AAA titles on console have much larger playerbase.

I can boot up my 360 and hop right into a match of any old COD.

On PC Advanced Warfare is like a lobby simulator.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
You know if you're buying the latest and greatest hardware like 7800Ti's and Titans and all you consider the result to be is "more shiney" then maybe it's just easier to not buy that level of kit and simply buy a $150 GPU like the ones in the consoles? It's such a silly argument.

The point on the PC is that people can create and manage community servers, admin them and set their own rules and mods. So yes when you join an unmoderated public server you'll get children shouting, if you join a community server with admins you'll have a nice experience. Outside of clan matches and private matches on the console this basically doesn't exist.

Console is just a pc that's easier to connect to your tv. You'll run into the same issues with game sizes, patches, etc.

Patches are huge these days and OS updates are frequent, gone is the day of console games which were just plug in a disc and play. Oh and consoles aren't easier to connect to the TV, I have both my PS3 and my PC connected to my entertainment system by a single HDMI cable.

The PC has a massive market for controllers, probably much bigger than the consoles, even the console controllers work on PC, where as the opposite is not true.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Unless you suck at using a controller. Then it's sort of a downer when so many games are optimized for them.

Yeah, that is the downside of easily ported console games. People like me make it worse, I won't buy a non-RTS game nowadays that doesn't have full controller support.

You know if you're buying the latest and greatest hardware like 7800Ti's and Titans and all you consider the result to be is "more shiney" then maybe it's just easier to not buy that level of kit and simply buy a $150 GPU like the ones in the consoles? It's such a silly argument.

That isn't a completely fair argument. Even though the PS4 is basically a PC, thanks to a lack of optimizations for PC sometimes you need 50%+ more raw power just to get the same experience console gamers get. Hopefully Directx 12 will close this gap, but for now it is hard to match an optimized console game.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Actually thats not so true

PS4 games are running on tv you are sitting further away so imperfections are less obvious

Hook it up to your PC monitor and you will see the real differences

Barely any AA/AF on console
Often much more LOD pop in
And a custom mix of settings that usually just isnt available on PC.

Like the PS4 level of grass on GTA5 is somewhere between High and Very High on PC. Itd be nice if the PS4 setting was available because it looks practically as good as Very High just with more aggressive LOD.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well after poking around the "exclusives" on PS4 there is nothing really worth switching for and the few games this year that I actually want to play will be on PC. Meh. Time to pick a new GPU.

well, that was quick.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Actually thats not so true

PS4 games are running on tv you are sitting further away so imperfections are less obvious

Hook it up to your PC monitor and you will see the real differences

Barely any AA/AF on console
Often much more LOD pop in
And a custom mix of settings that usually just isnt available on PC.

Like the PS4 level of grass on GTA5 is somewhere between High and Very High on PC. Itd be nice if the PS4 setting was available because it looks practically as good as Very High just with more aggressive LOD.

There are some custom settings sure, but there are also examples of optimizations PCs don't get. Like how the 2013 Tomb Raider has TressFX hair via async.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
well, that was quick.

Usually people like that are just looking for attention. What else is a PC forum going to help with for a guy moving to consoles. If he wanted helpful advice he would have went to the console forum.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Usually people like that are just looking for attention. What else is a PC forum going to help with for a guy moving to consoles. If he wanted helpful advice he would have went to the console forum.

I spent a few hours picking through the exclusive titles and there were few that are actually interesting.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I bet some of us, maybe a lot of us got a 360 or Xbone for GTA5 so we could have the looks and game play of it while waiting for the PC version which I have too.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
To me, this reads as if he's upset that he can't play maxed out settings on his PC, and would rather just play a PS4, because it'll always have maxed settings. But he's also forgetting that you don't have to play maxed settings, and still get as good or better visuals than a console gives.

A lot of people around here seem to be incapable of playing games with less than max settings. I don't get that.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Wth, he has a 780ti which destroys a PS4, and he wanted to get a PS4? ANd now instead he is upgrading his GPU?

Makes sense.

facetman

Aug 30, 2014
escrow4 - OK - I'll bite, If you really have all those GPU cards (specifically the Titan or the 780ti) your NOT using (you can only use one at a time) - I can PM you my address if you don't want them anymore. I will even pay for shipping. LOL

OK - since that's obviously not happening . I do understand your irritation at the whole PC constant upgrading thing. But, my older Sandy Bridge with a AMD 290 is still playing older and brand new games at high levels that look stunning and are very enjoyable. SO, unless your doing VR or using a 4K monitor - I am not sure you can tell that much difference between high vs very high setting, etc. I guess its a matter of preferences and if your willing spend more money or not. Isn't the whole point supposed to be about enjoyable entertainment?