Giving up on PC gaming

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Never thought this time would come but purchasing a PS4 this week. Ran the whole gamut from AMD cards to a Titan and 780 Ti and now I've given up. Nvidia murdered Kepler and I'd bet money the same will happen to Maxwell. Too much multiplayer rubbish, games that are too fat and take an age to download and install (the internet here is trash, still games are too obese), endless DLC, shiny new GPUs for what - extra shininess?

Never had a PS3 and with most decent titles remastered on PS4, its over PC. :(

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I'll never understand why people think they have to choose a single gaming platform. Downstairs, I have my PC, my PS3, PS2, GameCube, and N64/SNES/NES hooked up. Upstairs, I have my 360 and Wii. They all have good exclusives and are worth a purchase at some point or another but PC will always be superior in my eyes. If only for the fact that mods exist for most games, but also because you can emulate every single console from the PS3 generation down to the beginning Atari.

Also, I find it odd that you list a Titan before the 780 Ti.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
It's just games and hardware. I'll use whatever toy I have the most fun with....because that's what these are....TOYS.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I don't know what he's going on about. As if a console is going to make him feel better.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
=Too much multiplayer rubbish, games that are too fat and take an age to download and install (the internet here is trash, still games are too obese), endless DLC,
All this will still apply on consoles.
Not to say you shouldn't switch, but don't expect the issues to go away.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
<powers_booth> Well, Bye </powers_booth>

Consoles have all that fun, but with a much lower powered CPU and GPU, less RAM, and slow spinny hard drive. Plus restrictions on content and mods. No Nexus for you!

I do own a PS2, PS3, 360 for their exclusives but given the choice I'll play a cross-platform game on my PC.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Well after poking around the "exclusives" on PS4 there is nothing really worth switching for and the few games this year that I actually want to play will be on PC. Meh. Time to pick a new GPU.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
The multiplayer is worse on consoles because lame 14 year old children all have consoles and you will have to listen to them piss in your ear while you play. Those kids can't afford a real PC so you don't deal with them as much on PC.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
The multiplayer is worse on consoles because lame 14 year old children all have consoles and you will have to listen to them piss in your ear while you play. Those kids can't afford a real PC so you don't deal with them as much on PC.

Have never had to deal with any of that. I just turn chat off unless I'm in a party.

This whole thread was weird. Why say goodbye? You would still have a PC.

I don't own any current-gen consoles yet (unless the Wii U counts), but PS4 has a bare minimum of two games that I absolutely want to play, and I'll eventually get it for those and the couple other exclusives they dole out. Same goes for the One, although on the exclusives front, it's looking a little more grim, especially since first party stuff will likely make its way to PC anyway, minus probably Halo.

Game where you game. Platform allegiance is utter garbage, and just makes everyone who takes part look the idiot.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Never thought this time would come but purchasing a PS4 this week. Ran the whole gamut from AMD cards to a Titan and 780 Ti and now I've given up. Nvidia murdered Kepler and I'd bet money the same will happen to Maxwell. Too much multiplayer rubbish, games that are too fat and take an age to download and install (the internet here is trash, still games are too obese), endless DLC, shiny new GPUs for what - extra shininess?

It's up to you, hope you enjoy your console gaming (this isn't sarcasm, I do hope you enjoy it). Just want to say though, that multiplayer isn't exclusive to PC gaming, so it's going to be multiplayer "rubish" on consoles, too. Also, endless DLCs aren't exclusive to PC gaming either (not sure why you mentioned it in relation to you "quitting" PC gaming).

Most "PC games" are, in fact, console ports, and the DLCs released on the console versions make it to the PC ports. And, finally, "shiny new GPUs for extra shininess" is the same as saying new console generations (new hardware) for extra shininess. The gist is, if you want to stick to console gaming, then sure go ahead, no one is forcing you to game only (or mostly) on PC, that's up to you. But the actual reasons you mentioned - quite frankly - make no sense.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010

That's OK, I'll probably spend a couple thousand dollars this year on PC hardware to make up for your defection loss :D

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
many console games now have multi-gigabyte patches...so you won't necessarily be escaping massive downloads.

ATPCG will be still be here should you decide to return to the fold of the master race ;)

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Try playing an RTS on the console with a controller and then let's see you talk. XD
You'll be running back to PCs in no time.

Also, "Extra shininess"? Really?
Anyways, it's totally up to you. If you think you're more comfortable with a controller than a keyboard/mouse combo, then have fun and more power to you.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
I always find this stuff interesting, player wants the latest and greatest PC hardware, complains is to expensive, but then gets a console, which artificially locks you to outdated midrange hardware and feels satisfied.

or you could have simply bought that 7870 back in 2012 and still be playing games as well or better (IMO, just the fact you can use a mouse makes it 10 times better for some games).

the whole download and patches thing doesn't work anymore, consoles have huge game patches and a lot of people are migrating to downloading the games there.

now, enjoy paying your PSN fee, not being able to play older games with the machine, or use older controllers or non certified accessories like a wheel, having to pretend your analogue stick with auto aim is a proper replacement for the responsiveness of a mouse... yea... no.

the advantage I see on consoles is having some cool exclusives and no significant cheating going on on multiplayer games.

Last edited:

calyco

Oct 7, 2004
Why do you have to choose? I have a PC and PS4, you will def be back. Most games are better on PC, graphically and regarding controls because of mouse+kb precision.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
for me, PC or Die.
as i got older, i narrowed the spectrum of game genres i'm willing to play down to RPGs and TBSs, and there are SO MANY games out there for me i will never have enough time to play them all.

if you keep chasing the bleeding edge graphics and hardware, you are bound to get worn out. take a step back, pick a 100+ hour game to sink your teeth in, enable DSR/VSR if applicable and just enjoy the wonderful machine in front of you.

*metaphor also applies to relationships/marriage

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
Really you just play what you feel comfortable with. Personally, I hate controllers despite trying several times to like them. And I don't see how consoles will improve on needing new hardware each generation given their non-backwards / forwards compatible nature. The need for a new GFX card is simply replaced by the need for a new console. You'll upgrade hardware only half as often but the games are on average more expensive. The beauty of PC's is I can still play everything back to and including late 80's / early 90's DOS games. Plus the thousands of titles not on consoles.

Agree with the cr*ppier side of multi-player, but don't consoles suffer from the same "MP morons"? Doesn't everyone have to disable voice chat on every platform? Don't consoles now need games to be installed just like a PC and need to download the same bloated multi-GB patches? Don't many console owners end up opening up the case to upgrade their HDD's to SSD's to avoid 1 min level load times? Truth is, since consoles moved to x86 they pretty much are just low-end All-In-One PC's with a 7790/7850/750Ti class GFX card running prettier versions of Win 10 (XB1) or FreeBSD (PS4).

As for PC performance issues, what settings are you running at? If you're stuffing everything on Ultra simply because that's what tech sites obsessively benchmark at, obvious solution is turn it down. "I must run everything on Ultra" seems to be a psychological barrier some cannot go beyond, and yet when you do, you realise there was no real 'barrier' there to step over. Half the time I can't tell the difference between Ultra vs High on many games especially when actually playing the game and not holding a magnifying glass over side by side 4x zoomed screenshots. And Medium is no great loss either given I disable half the dumb "effects for the sake of it" (chromatic aberration, vignetting, etc) regardless of performance. If you find effects like CA irritating - be warned - there are many more games where you can't disable them at all on consoles.

Reading between the lines regarding complaints of DLC, game bloat, hardware upgrade rat race, etc, what it sounds like you really need to do is broaden the horizons a bit as far as playing non-AAA games and non FPS/action-adventure genres. If you play only one style / genre of games, you can easily get "burned out" after a while. You then start to seek out new hardware to "cure" that when you're just going to run into exactly the same disappointments on another platform (same tacky DLC, MP morons, large patches, etc), whilst the real cure may just be playing a larger variation of games. AAA games used to be the centre of my universe too. They no longer are and overall enjoyment has gone up not down.

Last edited: