Giving money to the homeless

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Tuktuk
Very interesting movie I saw recently, but I forget the title. They give a homeless man $100,000 and see what he does with it. They take him to a financial planner who tries to help him but he eventually tells him to fsck off. Then he starts hanging out with skanks and he buys this one bar slut a truck and himself a Ford F-150. By the end he refuses to tell them how much he has left.

He was a fairly normal guy aside from being homeless. I mean he was an alcoholic and was dirty and all that but he wasn't a raving lunatic or anything.

Lottery winners usually are broke within a couple of years, so I don't doubt that would happen. But the reason it would happen is because of human nature, not because the homeless are worse people.

I give a little change if I have some in my pocket and I feel like it. It's true that the change is more valuable to the homeless guy than it is to me. I don't feel bad at all if I don't have change or don't feel like giving it up, though. My change isn't going to get the guy off the street or continuously feed him, only his actions can do that. I'm certainly not willing to pay his way for the rest of his life.

I Saw OJ

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Nope, never have, never will.

Besides, those damn bums probably make more money a year standing on a corner all day, than I do at my job.

Syrch

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
I will only give to organizations that help the true homeless people. My mom once had a work colleague whose husband would stand on the sidewalk at a busy intersection. He had a pair of clothes that he would never was to give him the homeless look. This was in South Florida in Weston, http://www.westonfl.org/, which is a VERY Rich area. The guy after eight hours would walk over to the local grocery store parking lot and drive home to his Weston home in his Mercedes. I don't remember the exact figure but I was informed the guy ended up make more in ONE day then i made all week. I used to feel bad for this guy (i knew exactly which guy he was as he always stood on the same corner) and i used to give him my hard earned money. Needless to say I will not fork over a single red penny to someone on the corner begging for money.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
I'm not giving them a penny. When I was younger, I would always give them money. But now, I have no sympathy for them. Maybe because Im soo desenitized to the sight of homeless people. Driving through Baltimore everyday, I see homeless people on every street corner asking for change. Some of them even have walkie talkies, although Im not sure what exactly that's all about. I believe that people deserve breaks in their life, not handouts. An opportunity is something that is given to you, that you have to make the best of. A handout has no real value to someone other than encouraging them to look for another handout.

Also, there are shelters within the Baltimore area. One specific shelter that I volunteered at has a program that will give you shelter, food, teach you a trade, and find you a job. One specific shelter, will even save the homeless person's earned money from their job for one year. After a year, the homeless person has a job, he/she has learned a trade, and they have a year's worth of savings; they have the tools to start over.

I believe that people's decisions in life lead them to where they are, and I can't find it in me to sympathize with people's consequences.

So, no, I don't give handouts.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
when i was a smoker i would give an occasional cigarette when asked but as far as money goes....i work for my money and it isnt free.

Tuktuk

Jan 30, 2007
Originally posted by: yowolabi
Very interesting movie I saw recently, but I forget the title. They give a homeless man $100,000 and see what he does with it. They take him to a financial planner who tries to help him but he eventually tells him to fsck off. Then he starts hanging out with skanks and he buys this one bar slut a truck and himself a Ford F-150. By the end he refuses to tell them how much he has left.

He was a fairly normal guy aside from being homeless. I mean he was an alcoholic and was dirty and all that but he wasn't a raving lunatic or anything.

Lottery winners usually are broke within a couple of years, so I don't doubt that would happen. But the reason it would happen is because of human nature, not because the homeless are worse people.

I give a little change if I have some in my pocket and I feel like it. It's true that the change is more valuable to the homeless guy than it is to me. I don't feel bad at all if I don't have change or don't feel like giving it up, though. My change isn't going to get the guy off the street or continuously feed him, only his actions can do that. I'm certainly not willing to pay his way for the rest of his life.

You're right in some ways but the guy went from being the happiest man in the world to have a $25 motel room to buying himself a new Ford truck, some slut a truck, some kid who talked to him at the recycling place a Honda, and all sorts of other crap. He was given an opportunity to meet with a financial planner and basically blew it off, saying the guy didn't know what he was talking about. Then he reunited with his family who seemed worried he was going to waste all of his money on the bar sluts and people who weren't his friends. The people who made the movie gave him a very good support base to work off of to see if he could turn this money into a new life. Instead he squandered it immediately.

That is the same as some lotto winners but I don't think most lotto winners end up being homeless. The guy's first priority should've been to get shelter.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
/dickens "Are there no prisons, are there no poor houses?" /edickens

I don't give money to the homeless directly, but I do provide financial support to organizations that try to help the homeless.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
Originally posted by: TallBill
Maybe if they provided some sort of a service.

Exactly. I might give money to a homeless people who is doing some kind of performance.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: JS80
Yes, I pay my taxes.

yeah, I don't feel nearly as much sympathy for bums in the first world, as the truly poor elsewhere are MUCH worse off.
Originally posted by: FoBoT
Originally posted by: LS20
.. those standing at intersections...

they should be arrested for impeding traffic and put into jail

If you're driving on the sidewalk, maybe YOU should be put into jail;)

eLiTeGoodGuy

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2001
To tell you the truth I don't give money to the homeless or needy at all, not even through the big agencies. I've seen my share of too many bad apples.

When I worked in a cell phone store; it was close by the government subsidised housing (not saying anything wrong with that, but it's there for people on low incomes to have a place to get back on their feet). I saw way too many come in wanting a cell phone but had a large deposit, they pulled out their TAP (Total action Against Poverty) checks walked next door to the bank to cash them and used that money on a deposit instead of food for their kids.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
I usually give them change. I give cash to any of them that play an instrument or can sing.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Canai
I usually give them change. I give cash to any of them that play an instrument or can sing.

Those people usually have music degrees though. :p

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
I've given a few coins and stuff. It's hard not to when you know all they need is a £10 bag of smack or a few beers and they'll be happy all day.

On the other hand, I've been a homeless druggie myself (not a street bum but lived in my car for months), and I worked the whole time. How do they justify begging? It's not like there's a shortage of crappy laboring jobs is it.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: yowolabi

You're right in some ways but the guy went from being the happiest man in the world to have a $25 motel room to buying himself a new Ford truck, some slut a truck, some kid who talked to him at the recycling place a Honda, and all sorts of other crap. He was given an opportunity to meet with a financial planner and basically blew it off, saying the guy didn't know what he was talking about. Then he reunited with his family who seemed worried he was going to waste all of his money on the bar sluts and people who weren't his friends. The people who made the movie gave him a very good support base to work off of to see if he could turn this money into a new life. Instead he squandered it immediately.

That is the same as some lotto winners but I don't think most lotto winners end up being homeless. The guy's first priority should've been to get shelter.

Well most lotto winners end up in the same state that they were before they got rich, so no they don't end up homeless. That's the part of human nature I was referring to... that people generally have a baseline and don't change for external reasons. For him to be a long-term homeless person and not mentally disturbed, he had to have far worse than average decision making abilities or work ethic. Either that, or having a house just wasn't important to him. Giving him the money didn't change any of that and it was pretty predictable that he would eventually end up back at his baseline.

Lottery winners go broke because they buy themselves and everyone around them lavish things, ignore advice to see a financial planner, and i have no doubt that the single males use it to get women. The homeless guy didn't do anything unusual. It was more because of his mindset than because of his decisions that he ended up back on the street.

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
If my parents work hard to pay taxes, my college tuition, and I work part-time or earn a stipend to pay for the meal I'm eating, I don't believe a homeless should have a right to demand a portion of that hard work.
In Berkeley sometimes bums walk inside an eatery and start soliciting and demanding EVERY customer in the store to buy them food or spare some change - I've had this happen a few times to me.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
I hand them an application to request funding for their life experiment and then tell them to get in the back of the line.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com

Originally posted by: FoBoT
Originally posted by: LS20
.. those standing at intersections...

they should be arrested for impeding traffic and put into jail

If you're driving on the sidewalk, maybe YOU should be put into jail;)[/quote]

they walk out into the street to get money and they hold up traffic
it should be illegal to panhandle in the street