Giving money to the homeless

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
I dont give money to sidewalk bums, but those standing at intersections guilt me to where I give money about 50% of the time.

What is your stance on it? Is there a good reason you do or dont do it?

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Homeless shelters? Yes.

Homeless people only get food. If anybody is going to buy booze with my money, it's me.

slsmnaz

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2005
If you see one that says "Will work for food" offer him a job and see how quickly they run away.

EPCrew

Jun 2, 2000
I've given food and not money.

My sister in-law's bf, who's naturally a nice guy, gave money to a homeless guy near his old office in hoboken about a year back. He would make small talk with him just to make him feel like someone cared. A few days later, he gets a phone call on his cell phone and it's the f-in bum!!! He was calling to demand more money. Apparently, the bum followed him back to his office and somehow managed to get his number from the receptionist. What kind of idiot gives out phone numbers to a bum?!?!! Strange but somewhat funny story. Poor guy had such bad luck over the last couple of years....

Tuktuk

Jan 30, 2007
Very interesting movie I saw recently, but I forget the title. They give a homeless man $100,000 and see what he does with it. They take him to a financial planner who tries to help him but he eventually tells him to fsck off. Then he starts hanging out with skanks and he buys this one bar slut a truck and himself a Ford F-150. By the end he refuses to tell them how much he has left.

He was a fairly normal guy aside from being homeless. I mean he was an alcoholic and was dirty and all that but he wasn't a raving lunatic or anything.

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004
Originally posted by: LS20
I dont give money to sidewalk bums, but those standing at intersections guilt me to where I give money about 50% of the time.

What is your stance on it? Is there a good reason you do or dont do it?

The ones standing at intersections are less likely to be homeless than the sidewalk bums. I saw some news special on this once and a very large portion of those people are con artists.

effowe

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2004
Living in a big city for seven years has made me completely insensitive to people asking for money. I walked by the same people so many times, and if I were to give money to all these people I would go broke.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..giving them money supports local drug dealers. I give to charity groups that spend the money on truely needy families and people in genuine need.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Most people that are homeless are so because they want to be or are mentaly incapable of taking care of themselves.

imported_bum

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2005
When I walk around campus here, I know who is homeless and who will just go buy cigs (just from being here awhile). Most of the people around here aren't even homeless, though.

edit: I give the homeless guys my change, and occasionally offer someone a taco or something if I'm going to eat.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
Depends on the bum and how I feel. 9 times out of 10 I say, "I don't have change, sorry."

Once in a while if I have some loose change, I will give them 50 cents or something. Some of the bums are pricks though. There is a young kid panhandling the streets around here that looks perfectly capable of working.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I give to Northwest Harvest which supplies Washington state food banks.

I don't give booze money to bums. Some of them are just grifters and aren't even really homeless.

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill
Maybe if they provided some sort of a service.

Well given many bums' dental hygiene, you can pretty much assume they don't have any teeth to drag.