Giving a user undetectable remote access to their computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ehevideo

Jun 17, 2013
Hi...what I need to do is probably very simple or impossible! A group of friends want to house their computers at my apartment and access them remotely. Each computer will have a separate IP address assigned by the cable company (DHCP I believe), but under one account and one cable line coming into the apartment. (The cable company will not allow different accounts at the same address, although I might be able to get around that if necessary, by using Apartment 503A, 503B etc.

They should have as complete control of their own computer as possible, and restrict even my access to their computer except when granted permission. When connected to a third party's servers via a client installed on their computer, the third party must see the IP address assigned by the cable company, and any sniffing by the client cannot detect that the owner is accessing the computer remotely.

Any suggestions or guidance on where to find an answer?

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Are you trying to make it so that someone sitting at the physical machine can't tell that it is being accessed remotely? If so, that is possible but not as simple.

However, if you just want each person to have their own direct secure access to their own machine remotely, Logmein.com works very well and free accounts are adequate for most people if you don't need to print or transfer files remotely.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
This.. sound sketchy.

If you want a block of public IPs, you need a business account from the cable company. I dont know of any who will sell static IPs to residential accounts. Residential setups are one line, one modem, one IP, and there's no way you're gonna get a cable tech to run five lines to your apartment and hook up five separate modems even if you do fudge the address.

As for the remote access, that depends on what you mean by "sniffing," If you're sniffing your own network with all those PCs on it, you're clearly going to see the remote access traffic. You might not be able to break the encryption, but you're going to see that connection going *somewhere* back and forth constantly. If you're talking about say, someone logging into a game server from that PC while using the remote access, it's that PC in your apartment making all the connections, the traffic is being sent to and from its IP to it, the remote access is a separate connection and the game server would never be able to tell whats going on at your end.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Rdp does exactly what you want as far as logging in. Just boot the computer locked.

ehevideo

Jun 17, 2013
Are you trying to make it so that someone sitting at the physical machine can't tell that it is being accessed remotely? If so, that is possible but not as simple.

However, if you just want each person to have their own direct secure access to their own machine remotely, Logmein.com works very well and free accounts are adequate for most people if you don't need to print or transfer files remotely.

No one would actually be at the physical machine unless necessary for administration. Remote access only needs to be hidden from third party servers that are being connected to via an installed client, not from the owner of the computer. Is logmein detectable as running by the third party server if installed on the users computer? If it is, is there a way to configure things so logmein is installed on a different computer but still give access to the user's computer?

The third party server must see the IP address of the user's computer, not a vpn, proxy, etc.

ehevideo

Jun 17, 2013
If you want a block of public IPs, you need a business account from the cable company. I dont know of any who will sell static IPs to residential accounts. Residential setups are one line, one modem, one IP, and there's no way you're gonna get a cable tech to run five lines to your apartment and hook up five separate modems even if you do fudge the address.

As for the remote access, that depends on what you mean by "sniffing," If you're sniffing your own network with all those PCs on it, you're clearly going to see the remote access traffic. You might not be able to break the encryption, but you're going to see that connection going *somewhere* back and forth constantly. If you're talking about say, someone logging into a game server from that PC while using the remote access, it's that PC in your apartment making all the connections, the traffic is being sent to and from its IP to it, the remote access is a separate connection and the game server would never be able to tell whats going on at your end.

The concern is that the game server cannot be able to see that other processes running on the gamer's computer include a remote connection. Not trying to hide anything from the owner of the computer...he is the one accessing it remotely.

Re your first concern this from Cox:

1. You can add the second computer using our Multiple Computer Access
(MCA) service. You can subscribe to this service Online at our Internet Tools site. The monthly fee for the MCA service is 6.95. This fee is charged for the additional IP address.

Only one computer can be connected to your cable modem, so in order to connect the second computer, you will need an additional device. In this case, a Hub. Your cable modem will be connected to the Hub and it will share the connection with the computers. You can buy a Hub in any computer or electronics store.

Last edited:

inabag

May 15, 2012
This is going to depend on the game. A lot of games will not work via RDP because of video driver limitations.

However a service like logmein or teamviewer or the such would work, but the performance would suck. The game would not be able to tell that your logged in remotely.

ehevideo

Jun 17, 2013
Rdp does exactly what you want as far as logging in. Just boot the computer locked.

My understanding was that the "game server" could detect that the RDP client is running on the connected computer. Does "booting it locked" prevent that?

Last edited:

ehevideo

Jun 17, 2013
This is going to depend on the game. A lot of games will not work via RDP because of video driver limitations.

However a service like logmein or teamviewer or the such would work, but the performance would suck. The game would not be able to tell that your logged in remotely.

I was told elsewhere that running logmein/teamviewer/GoToMyPC could be detected by the game server software. Not true? eg running logmein and going to task manager>applications shows logmein running. I assume the third party software has access to applications/processes that are running. That's what I need to work around.

Last edited:

tomt4535

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2004
Playing games on a remote machine sounds like a bad idea. There's going to be considerable lag and whatever method you use to log in to the remote PC isn't going to be able to send the screen "data" back to the client machine over the internet fast enough. A lot of remote PC type software does not work at all or very well with 3D video also.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Let's be clear about what it is exactly that you are trying to do. That will help us give you more specific answers.

From your additional posts it sounds like you have game servers running on these computers and you want to have the users be able to connect remotely to the computers without having the game server software know that they are connecting. Is that correct?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The thread seems to be an issue of helping a users to Circumvent his/her ISP TOS.

That is Not what we are here for.

Thread Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.