Give me a break: Windmills Take Toll on Wildlife

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Activists target site in the Bay Area where blades have killed 22,000 birds

<snips>
Now, some environmental groups that routinely supported wind power as a clean, alternative source of electric power are opposing the renewal of permits for the wind farm until steps are taken to reduce the bird deaths.

"Renewing these permits without addressing the cumulative impacts of wind energy on migratory birds, especially raptor species, will give a black eye to wind power," said Michael Boyd, president of Californians for Renewable Energy, a Santa Cruz-based organization that generally supports alternative energy sources such as wind power. Joining in the effort is the Center for Biological Diversity, a national nonprofit group known for its litigious approach to wildlife protection.
"The county did everyone a disservice by choosing to ignore the true impacts of these turbines, which are the equivalent of a terrestrial Exxon Valdez every year," said Jeff Miller, spokesman for the Center for Biological Diversity.
Paul Kerlinger, a New Jersey avian biologist who works regularly as an industry consultant, contends that of all the main energy sources excluding solar power, wind is the least threatening to bird life.

"When you turn on your lights you kill something, no matter what the source of electricity," said Kerlinger.

Industry officials said they felt blindsided by the recent environmental opposition at Altamont.
</snips>

Yet another "alternative" energy source getting blasted.
rolleye.gif
These people need to realize the alternative to these windmills - either higher bills, no electricity(brown outs), or more poluting from other sources. Time for these environmentalist wackos to wake up and realize that there is no perfect energy source.

CkG

norcalhiker

Oct 15, 2003
where do you live? do you know anything about the issue?

I do.

The windmills being targeted are old and generate very little power. I personally know one of the original designers of the project. The main issue is that they were built before much was known about windpower. So many birds die in then because they were placed in a MAJOR bird migration coridor. So if they don't generate much power, and they are killing birds, why not remove them?

Modern windfarms would not have this problem.

But any windpower is better than no windpower. Because global warming will kill all the birds anyways....

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Activists target site in the Bay Area where blades have killed 22,000 birds

<snips>
Now, some environmental groups that routinely supported wind power as a clean, alternative source of electric power are opposing the renewal of permits for the wind farm until steps are taken to reduce the bird deaths.

"Renewing these permits without addressing the cumulative impacts of wind energy on migratory birds, especially raptor species, will give a black eye to wind power," said Michael Boyd, president of Californians for Renewable Energy, a Santa Cruz-based organization that generally supports alternative energy sources such as wind power. Joining in the effort is the Center for Biological Diversity, a national nonprofit group known for its litigious approach to wildlife protection.
"The county did everyone a disservice by choosing to ignore the true impacts of these turbines, which are the equivalent of a terrestrial Exxon Valdez every year," said Jeff Miller, spokesman for the Center for Biological Diversity.
Paul Kerlinger, a New Jersey avian biologist who works regularly as an industry consultant, contends that of all the main energy sources excluding solar power, wind is the least threatening to bird life.

"When you turn on your lights you kill something, no matter what the source of electricity," said Kerlinger.

Industry officials said they felt blindsided by the recent environmental opposition at Altamont.
</snips>

Yet another "alternative" energy source getting blasted.
rolleye.gif
These people need to realize the alternative to these windmills - either higher bills, no electricity(brown outs), or more poluting from other sources. Time for these environmentalist wackos to wake up and realize that there is no perfect energy source.

CkG

They should bring those babies over here in Iowa, more specifically Northwest Iowa, and let us make some bank.

Piano Man

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: norcalhiker

I do.

The windmills being targeted are old and generate very little power. I personally know one of the original designers of the project. The main issue is that they were built before much was known about windpower. So many birds die in then because they were placed in a MAJOR bird migration coridor. So if they don't generate much power, and they are killing birds, why not remove them?

But any windpower is better than no windpower. Because global warming will kill all the birds anyways....

Thanks for your insight.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

I do.

Check my profile;) and yes I am informed on this issue of bird kills. I read up on Cali's situation when some wacko group tried to stop the Iowa wind farms because of bird kill issues. From what I read, the problem wasn't as significant as they tried to portray it as. I have been a big advocate of the wind farm that is going to be built in NW Iowa. I just find it hilarious that the enviro-wackos always find something to bitch about - this being one of them. Yes there is a point where windmills become too old to maintain and repair for the amount of energy they produce but up until that point the energy is "free" after the initial payoff.

CkG

Mrburns2007

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2001
OMG, the tree huggers are never happy, somebody should tell them that there bad for the planet and it would be much better if they just jumped into the ocean so the dolphins would have something to eat.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Mrburns2007
OMG, they are never happy, somebody should tell them that there bad for the planet and it would be much better if they just jumped into the ocean so the dolphins would have something to eat.
Yes, those migrating birds sure are hard to please. Always bitching about something . . .

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
22,000 birds? :Q You can understand people being a bit concerned. I mean, any form of energy will have some adverse affects, but this does seem a little harsh on the birds.
I'm not registering with another online paper just to view this article - anyone want to tell me how big this windfarm is so I can get some perspective?

Anyway, the bill to clean the blades has to really cost them! ;)

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: dpm
22,000 birds? :Q You can understand people being a bit concerned. I mean, any form of energy will have some adverse affects, but this does seem a little harsh on the birds.
I'm not registering with another online paper just to view this article - anyone want to tell me how big this windfarm is so I can get some perspective?

It doesn't specifically state how many years it took for those 22k birds to be killed.

"Since the phalanx of giant windmills began churning in the air above the Altamont Pass east of San Francisco Bay, an estimated 22,000 birds have died,"

Pictures
another pic
google pics

CkG

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

It doesn't specifically state how many years it took for those 22k birds to be killed.

"Since the phalanx of giant windmills began churning in the air above the Altamont Pass east of San Francisco Bay, an estimated 22,000 birds have died,"

Pictures
another pic
google pics

CkG
So what's that, a 1,000 birds a year? Sheesh the next thing you know they will want to ban cats!

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
You guys would feel differently if you were a bird. :)

If we were birds our brains would be to small to feel anything more that the urge to reproduce, eat, and crap.

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: NesuD

If we were birds our brains would be to small to feel anything more that the urge to reproduce, eat, and crap.

There are so many jokes to be had around here with a post like that :D

Careful now!

Cheers,

Andy

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Mrburns2007
OMG, they are never happy, somebody should tell them that there bad for the planet and it would be much better if they just jumped into the ocean so the dolphins would have something to eat.

There are always two sides to every story.

Andy

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: NesuD

And post to OT!

/obvious

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
they should just catch them when they fall and serve them to the homeless in l.a.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Pictures
another pic
google pics

CkG
So what's that, a 1,000 birds a year? Sheesh the next thing you know they will want to ban cats!

if those are the ones i think they are, i've seen em there for years.. those are old ass windmills. i'm sure they've killed a decent number of birds just being there for so long. they need upgrades i bet... there are quite a few there, but i 've always wondered iwhy there weren't more. the new ones are bigger more efficient and far kewler looking:) i always see a buncha those old ones not spinning, its rather sad.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Because global warming will kill all the birds anyways....

Suuuuurrrrrreeee it will. Could you be any more wrong?

norcalhiker

Oct 15, 2003
I think that the whole bird issue is a little over blown. The Altamont area is the only space where brid kills are really a problem. Detractors of clean, renewable energy like to point out that windpower isn't perfect either and they always use this example. It is just to detract from the momentum behind the movement.

Altamont isn't killing pigeons either. Something like 80% of the birds killed are raptors.

Below is a good quote from the Audobon society:

"At Audubon, we believe wind power is a great, non-polluting alternative to fossil fuels. We have only one reservation: wind generation plants must be located away from habitats for endangered birds, especially raptors, which have a higher chance of impacting with wind turbines. With the proper EIS work, wind plants should be a great benefit to people and the environment." - John Bianchi, Audobon society

Wolfdog

Aug 25, 2001
We should tap into the US's biggest energy reserve. The methane from cow farts could power the nation. Cheap reliable fuel, which burns clean.