GISS temperature record is a fabrication

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 30, 2006
Your statement is misleading because you're talking about ice area and not ice mass.
I said what I meant to say by using the word 'extent'. If anything was misleading...it was the article you linked that neglected to mention a significant potential reason for ice mass loss in West Antarctica.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
As a percentage of land mass/surface of the Earth, it ain't nuthin' ----

--

I didn't say it was the largest or even in the top 5, I'm saying the region they don't have data for is rather big, and it is. That's a large area to extrapolate for.

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009
Goes to show you what you know about the subject...both caps aren't shrinking...antarctic ice extent is currently 3rd highest on record.

CROWD : A witch! A witch! A witch! We've got a witch! A witch!
VILLAGER #1: We have found a witch, might we burn her?
CROWD : Burn her! Burn!
BEDEMIR : How do you know she is a witch?
VILLAGER #2: She looks like one.
BEDEMIR : Bring her forward.
WITCH : I'm not a witch. I'm not a witch.
BEDEMIR : But you are dressed as one.
WITCH : They dressed me up like this.
CROWD : No, we didn't... no.
WITCH : And this isn't my nose, it's a false one.
BEDEMIR : Well?
VILLAGER #1 : Well, we did do the nose.
BEDEMIR : The nose?
VILLAGER #1 : And the hat -- but she is a witch!
CROWD : Burn her! Witch! Witch! Burn her!

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
I said what I meant to say by using the word 'extent'. If anything was misleading...it was the article you linked that neglected to mention a significant potential reason for ice mass loss in West Antarctica.

A volcano that has been active and last erupted in 325BC is not a significant potential reason for current ice mass loss in West Antarctica

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
A volcano that has been active and last erupted in 325BC is not a significant potential reason for current ice mass loss in West Antarctica

so you didn't read his link then? you know the fact it said "the volcano is still active" and parts about it melting the ice etc... none of that huh?

Nov 30, 2006
A volcano...oh really. Are you aware that there are many active volcanos that string for hundreds of miles underneath West Antarctica?

Look...maybe you should brush up on the subject a little and get back to me. Who knows..."you might learn something".

Jun 26, 2007
Find me a fact anywhere that disproves there is a God.

Well, I guess the religious folks must be right otherwise, after all, they have all the best evidence.

I know you were thinking you were intelligent with that response but in reality, only some claims cannot be proven negative, namely those that are unprovable either way.

If i told you that there is a celestial unicorn in your room you could not prove me wrong, but if i told you that if you turn up the heat in your room it won't get warmer i could easily be proven wrong.

It's fairly easy to prove the opposite of something that can be measured in real time, the deniers don't do that though, they spend their days finding minor flaws in the science of scientists who are examining the climate.

It's just like religious people who are arguing that "it's too complex" or "there is one missing transitional there and there and there", it's daft and it doesn't disprove sheit.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
so you didn't read his link then? you know the fact it said "the volcano is still active" and parts about it melting the ice etc... none of that huh?

The article says it plays a significant role in ice melt, not that it's causing the increase in ice melt and glacier movement speed. There's a difference. Ice melt is constant, and the volcano can increase it, but the article clearly states it can't account for the total change.

Co-author Professor David Vaughan (BAS) says,"This eruption occurred close to Pine Island Glacier on the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. The flow of this glacier towards the coast has speeded up in recent decades and it may be possible that heat from the volcano has caused some of that acceleration. However, it cannot explain the more widespread thinning of West Antarctic glaciers that together are contributing nearly 0.2mm per year to sea-level rise. This wider change most probably has its origin in warming ocean waters."

You and Doc are misinterpreting the article because you don't have the specific knowledge of geomorphology and the article doesn't make it clear enough.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
A volcano...oh really. Are you aware that there are many active volcanos that string for hundreds of miles underneath West Antarctica?

Look...maybe you should brush up on the subject a little and get back to me. Who knows..."you might learn something".

"A volcano" isn't the same as a vent

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
The article says it plays a significant role in ice melt, not that it's causing the increase in ice melt and glacier movement speed. There's a difference. Ice melt is constant, and the volcano can increase it, but the article clearly states it can't account for the total change.

You and Doc are misinterpreting the article because you don't have the specific knowledge of geomorphology and the article doesn't make it clear enough.

It plays a significant role, that's enough for me to say whatever else is effecting it is having a minimal role. I mean unless you think there are other reasons besides this and global warming that could be causing it.

Nov 30, 2006
"A volcano" isn't the same as a vent
Then what the hell are these?
antarcticvolcanoes2.jpg

And why is global warming so pronounced in those areas directly adjacent to active volcanoes?
antarctic_temps_avh1982-2004.jpg

Looky at which way the ocean currents go by golly.
g-antarctic-main-map_sm.gif

Seriously...you don't have a clue.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Then what the hell are these?
antarcticvolcanoes2.jpg

And why is global warming so pronounced in those areas directly adjacent to active volcanoes?
antarctic_temps_avh1982-2004.jpg

Looky at which way the ocean currents go by golly.
g-antarctic-main-map_sm.gif

Seriously...you don't have a clue.

I have no idea what you are getting at with this map. Do the receding and collapsed areas coincide with volcanic activity? Because I don't see any vents on that map...

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
throckmorton, i believe the first image he posted has the dots of "volcanoes" in antartica

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
As a result of what specific activity?

Not volcanoes if that's what you're getting at. And if you think the ocean temperatures are rising because of volcanoes, you need a lesson in thermodynamics.

However, it cannot explain the more widespread thinning of West Antarctic glaciers that together are contributing nearly 0.2mm per year to sea-level rise. This wider change most probably has its origin in warming ocean waters.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2006
Not volcanoes if that's what you're getting at. And if you think the ocean temperatures are rising because of volcanoes, you need a lesson in thermodynamics.
Wow...just wow. Just how much evidence do you need to understand why West Antarctica is losing ice mass? Look at what I showed you.

BTW...I've studied thermodynamics and fluid mechanics under some of the best professors on the planet. But I'm always willing to learn.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Wow...just wow. Just how much evidence do you need to understand why West Antarctica is losing ice mass? Look at what I showed you.

BTW...I've studied thermodynamics and fluid mechanics under some of the best professors on the planet. But I'm always willing to learn.

The article says the increased ocean temperature is to blame for most of the ice loss, not the volcanic activity. Are you disputing that? If so, why did you post the article?

Jun 26, 2007
The article says the increased ocean temperature is to blame for most of the ice loss, not the volcanic activity. Are you disputing that? If so, why did you post the article?

A short burst of volcanic activity WOULD do just that, raise the ocean temperature, but it would also lower it as it settles, all volcanic activity eventually lowers the temperature on the site, if it didn't, it would never stop. (why do volcanoes cool, google it).

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
A short burst of volcanic activity WOULD do just that, raise the ocean temperature, but it would also lower it as it settles, all volcanic activity eventually lowers the temperature on the site, if it didn't, it would never stop. (why do volcanoes cool, google it).

these aren't above ground eruptions or even venting, it's all done down under so what you're talking about I don't believe fully applies.

btw these are active volcanos, they just haven't erupted in 2k years. that means they're still venting out heat etc under the ice. which would cause melting which could raise the water temp around it and perpetuate the cycle.

Last edited: