VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
"Smoke 'em if you've got 'em"... no, wait... "Mine 'em if you've got 'em"... that's better.

Seriously, I made the decision the other day, that I am no longer going to sell or trade any (*mining-capable) GPUs (*except where I might be trading "up"). I took my "to maybe sell" GTX 1650 cards ($400+ ea., baby!), and set them up to mine ($1.50-$3.00 / day) instead.

It's kind of invigorating, to think that you could sell your cards that you paid $250 for, for $400+ these days, but then you have to turn around and ask yourself, how much am I going to have to pay to replace them with a "better" card... that's where the idea really breaks down. Especially with RX 580 8GB cards going for $1300, and RX 5700(XT) cards going for nearly $2000 (or maybe more!). It's truely crazy out there, in this GPU market.

Best to just "hold on and mine", IMHO.

(Unless, you think that the collapse of mining is imminent, maybe in July with EIP-1559, and that "cheaper GPUs are just around the corner". But the article linked in OP kind of contradicts that line of thinking.)

I personally was thinking, that if EIP-1559 is indeed going to nerf mining revenue / profitability by 50%, that the event-horizon of that event should be causing mining GPU prices to soften somewhat, as GPUs sold for exorbitant prices right now may not reach break-even by July, and I haven't been clearly seeing that.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
weeping and gnashing of teeth.

beginning to wonder if CPUs will stay in shortage also

Per another article it seems so. Maybe intel will be able to produce enough of their +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Chips and maybe not. Appears AMD will be in a tough spot regarding production.
I assume this will hit motherboard makers too.

Reactions: Leeea

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
This could also cause some trouble if it heads over here. Doubtful that it would be allowed in N. America though:

https://www.pcgamer.com/cryptocurre...graphics-card-warranties-in-some-territories/

It does give me pause though and make me consider shutting down my (gaming PC) 3070 from 24/7 mining. I'm not able to get much Eth anyways (with that, a 1660 Super running 24/7, and my son's 3060ti off and on).

I do keep them very cool...never above 43C. I leave a window cracked in the basement and I can get it down to 15C pretty easy. But summer is coming, and I don't want to have to up the fan speeds past 55%. Losing a card for any reason right now (even fans) would be a real hassle.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I do keep them very cool...never above 43C. I leave a window cracked in the basement and I can get it down to 15C pretty easy. But summer is coming, and I don't want to have to up the fan speeds past 55%. Losing a card for any reason right now (even fans) would be a real hassle.
The memory temps are what you have to worry about with Eth mining...the core is not stressed that much. Not sure if the 3-series cards show mem temps in Afterburner or other software though.

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
The memory temps are what you have to worry about with Eth mining...the core is not stressed that much. Not sure if the 3-series cards show mem temps in Afterburner or other software though.

The overall card temp does affect the memory temps, I tested this out myself with my 5700XT. The 3070 doesn't have a sensor, the 3080/90 do. From the testing I've seen from the few who have used a probe, the GDDR6 3070 memory stays quite cool (78C), whereas you need to really worry if you have a 3080/90 (110C - GDDR6X). I don't push the memory past 1150. There's no point as the 1MH/s benefit of 1300 or higher is only a few $ a month.

The only issue is that nobody knows how these cards will perform long-term as they haven't even been out a year yet. Probably fine, but we're all guinea pigs right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: thilanliyan

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Maybe the aliens flying those pyramid-shaped spacecraft the pentagon just revealed can share their GPU technology with us. Being as advanced as they are, they likely wouldn't interfere with a sovereign planet unless that planet was in dire need of help. Of this, we are. Come to think of it, those aliens better get the hell out of here before the miners get ahold of their spacecraft. They'll never get home with their ship being used to mine eth.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
This is not really that surprising with everything going on, but its not good. That's long enough to change habits and therefore the change the market.

I just bought a basically "spare" card for what is a decent deal today because I'm afraid one of the few PCs in my house might have a hardware failure in the next couple years leaving me completely over a barrel. I've already resigned myself to sitting tight with what I've got. I watched ebay prices for polaris basically triple, its weird to me that those cards are now a worse deal for gaming than 1060s (which aren't great either) when it used to be the opposite. Especially since I've been looking at the 4GB cards which are poor miners I believe.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Didn't think it would happen but I'm feeling less and less foolish about my 3090 purchase
I am having warm and fuzzy feelings about my rx6900xt@msrp purchase to.

I had hoped to buy a new cpu with all that sweet loot* I am getting, but no such luck.

*eth, about $548.14 so far

Last edited:
Reactions: Mopetar and Elfear

pj-

May 5, 2015
Nah, you should still feel foolish for paying 300% more for only 30% more performance ;)

Based on current trends I could sell my gpu for a profit any time in the next year. Right now i could sell it for 50% more than I paid. Plus I mined about 50 bucks worth of ETH which is now worth $60..

So far this thing is one of the better investments I've made recently

Oh and I can play games with it too

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
At this point I have so many older games in my backlog that I'm not particularly worried about getting *bored* running games on my still very capable build (for anything released through 2018).

But I've run this 980TI longer than any card I've ever owned and it wasn't even new when I got it. *knocks on wood* my biggest fear right now is having hardware fail and not being able to replace it with like or better performance at any sort of reasonable price (1660 is roughly 980Ti level and the card costs more today than I got the 980 for in 2016).

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Based on current trends I could sell my gpu for a profit any time in the next year. Right now i could sell it for 50% more than I paid. Plus I mined about 50 bucks worth of ETH which is now worth $60..

So far this thing is one of the better investments I've made recently

Oh and I can play games with it too

I'm not grinding your gears, but just because everything is grotesquely overpriced doesn't now make the 3090 a good value. I sold my 5700XT for over $1,000 USD, but it was a good value buy at $380. It doesn't matter what you can sell it for, unless you actually sell it.

I could have bought a 3090 on a few occasions...they had 3 of them sitting on the shelf at Memory Express for a few months at $2,499 CAD. The 3070 I bought instead was $829 CAD, so almost exactly 1/3, and it's already paid for itself in Eth. It would have taken over 9 months to pay for a 3090 at current prices, which are again falling like a rock. With EIP 1559 coming too, that ROI could easily double. I didn't want to deal with the thermal issues of the 3080/90 and having to replace pads either.

Last edited:

aleader

Oct 28, 2013
Everyone who has done stuff to me now get what is coming to them.

By not being able to buy a video card.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. When you are able to buy a video card and this happens you will have a 90 day warranty instead of the usual 2 or 3 years. You think that's a good thing?

Reactions: VirtualLarry

pj-

May 5, 2015
I'm not grinding your gears, but just because everything is grotesquely overpriced doesn't now make the 3090 a good value. I sold my 5700XT for over $1,000 USD, but it was a good value buy at $380. It doesn't matter what you can sell it for, unless you actually sell it.

I could have bought a 3090 on a few occasions...they had 3 of them sitting on the shelf at Memory Express for a few months at $2,499 CAD. The 3070 I bought instead was $829 CAD, so almost exactly 1/3, and it's already paid for itself in Eth. It would have taken over 9 months to pay for a 3090 at current prices, which are again falling like a rock. With EIP 1559 coming too, that ROI could easily double. I didn't want to deal with the thermal issues of the 3080/90 and having to replace pads either.

I am mostly joking. Obviously if you look at Perf/$ chart the 3090 will be behind basically if not literally everything. The relative value of a 3070 is irrelevant to me though because having the most powerful computer possible (within my budget) is part of the fun of pc gaming for me.

I just find it amusing that as dumb as the purchase was, I'm not really at risk of losing a ton of money

Reactions: blckgrffn

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Man, sounds like PS5 will be a pain to get the entire first half of the generation at this rate too then. Ouch, I thought the Q3 2022 projections from a few months back were bad but now 2023?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Yep, I'm undervolting my 3090 and keeping it nice and cool. Underclocked the memory and put a 270W TDP limit. Who knows if I'll get another card in the next year if it breaks.

Reactions: cytg111

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Per another article it seems so. Maybe intel will be able to produce enough of their +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Chips and maybe not. Appears AMD will be in a tough spot regarding production.
I assume this will hit motherboard makers too.
I have no problem getting EPYC motherboards or CPUs