GIMPS core usage question

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I decided to run GIMPS for a little while on my home PC with an i7 CPU just to get the project in my Free-DC stats to feed my silly need to have as many projects as possible listed there. I downloaded Prime95 and linked it to my GIMPS ID and told it to run and choose whatever work seems best. It is running, but even though I told it to use all 4 cores plus HT, it's only actually using the four physical cores and the HT cores are showing pretty much zero usage in Task Manager.

Is that normal, or am I missing something to get it to use all 8 "processors"? If I try to change the 4 cores to 8 in the Worker Windows option on the file menu, it just changes back to 4 again as soon as I click OK. It does this whether the process is actively running or if it is stopped (paused).

emoga

May 13, 2018
just to get the project in my Free-DC stats to feed my silly need to have as many projects as possible listed there.

I share that need for project stats as well, unfortunately, GIMPS won't be displayed on Free-DC. :(

If you still care about running GIMPS without it showing up on Free-DC and are still having problems, I'll open an instance later tonight and see if I can help you out.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
GIMPS is in the projects list on Free-DC and is showing stats for today (just not for me yet)..

I don't really care about running the project itself. Just wanted to get it in my stats list, and was curious about the CPU core usage.

emoga

May 13, 2018
emoga said:
GIMPS won't be displayed on Free-DC.

Right. I should have be more careful with my words.

Since its technically not a boinc project, it doesn't have a CPID (Cross Project Identifier), so it won't be listed under your normal cpid boinc page.