Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H PCIe TV Tuner Problem

colonelcasey

May 21, 2012
I just finished my build and everything is working fine except for the TV tuner. I have a Hauppauge 1800 tuner card and for some reason, Windows 7 occasionally doesn't see it installed in the PCIe slot. I have to reboot the computer several times in order for the card to show up under Device Manager. This problem did not occur with my old P35-based system that I migrated from. Anyone else with the Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H experiencing similar issues with their PCIe cards? I have the latest F7 BIOS installed. Specs: Core i7 3770 Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H 16GB RAM Hauppauge HVR-1800 TV Tuner

philipma1957

Golden Member
Jan 8, 2012
my gigabyte h77 drops my video card at random all goes black and then it recovers.

GIGABYTE GA-H77M-D3H Socket 1155/ Intel H77/ DDR3/ CrossFireX/ SATA3&USB3.0/ A&GbE/ MATX Motherboard

is the mobo hd7750 ultimate is the gpu.

a few updates later and now the picture stays but the sound goes dead and a restart fixes it.

Last edited:

darxide000

May 22, 2012
Colonelcasey - I had the exact same issue with my pinnacle 3010ix tuner in this board, but was able to fix it by moving the card out of the x1 slot and in to the pci-e x8 slot (ie the one above the legacy pci slot). Ive had no problems since, currently running bios F8c.

colonelcasey

May 21, 2012
Colonelcasey - I had the exact same issue with my pinnacle 3010ix tuner in this board, but was able to fix it by moving the card out of the x1 slot and in to the pci-e x8 slot (ie the one above the legacy pci slot). Ive had no problems since, currently running bios F8c.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try the F8c BIOS update today to see if it makes a difference. If not, I'll move it into the PCIe 8x slot and see if that fixes it. I didn't even know I could put a 1x PCIe card into the second 8x slot (which is usually for a second video card).

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It seems easier to just buy an HDhomerun and avoid the internal card entirely.

colonelcasey

May 21, 2012
The latest 1800 driver is dated 9/29/2011:
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_hvr1800.html
Note: never place a TV tuner card next to or directly above a hot video card.
My previous Hauppauge 1800 TV card overheated and popped a mini sized resistor that way.

I am using the latest drivers for the Hauppauge 1800. I'll try the new F8c BIOS and moving the card to the 8x slot tonight, giving it some breathing room and hopefully fixing this issue.

colonelcasey

May 21, 2012
It seems easier to just buy an HDhomerun and avoid the internal card entirely.

I've been using Hauppauge internal cards for over 7 years now (3 in use and 2 retired) and never had a problem with them. No reason to change now. It's just Gigabyte's buggy BIOS issues.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I've been using Hauppauge internal cards for over 7 years now (3 in use and 2 retired) and never had a problem with them. No reason to change now. It's just Gigabyte's buggy BIOS issues.
Uhhh, not working isn't a reason...?

colonelcasey

May 21, 2012

I moved my tuner to the x8 slot above the PCI slot. Although Windows was able to detect the card immediately, Windows Media Center couldn't get video from it stating that there was a video/listening conflict. I've upgraded to F8c and that doesn't seem to help either. I have an HVR-1250 in storage so I'll pull that out and see if it suffers similar issues.

darxide000

May 22, 2012
Colonelcasey - You need to re-run the tv setup in media center after switching slots (Under Tasks > Settings > TV > TV Signal > Setup TV Signal) otherwise media center tries to use the old tuner config. Not sure if you did this?

colonelcasey

May 21, 2012
Colonelcasey - You need to re-run the tv setup in media center after switching slots (Under Tasks > Settings > TV > TV Signal > Setup TV Signal) otherwise media center tries to use the old tuner config. Not sure if you did this?

Haha...I actually found that out after I dropped my spare HVR-1250 into the x8 slot and re-ran the setup. Switched the 1800 back in, re-ran the setup, and everything works now. Bit of a roundabout troubleshooting process but I'm satisfied with the result. Now if only Gigabyte will work on fixing their BIOS to actually remedy the x1 slot issues.