Gigabyte Z370 ATX motherboard?

boed

Nov 19, 2009
I don't know why but I tend to buy Gigabyte after a series of broken MSI motherboards. Anyone know if Gigabyte has an ATX z370 in the works? I need lots of high speed slots - 8x raid, 8x network card and a 16x video card and I like the option of throwing in a second video card.

boed

Nov 19, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply and the links! I was hoping to find one with 4 16x slots which gives me a little more flexibility where I place things and so if I get a 2nd video card I can team them.

Oh and I should have mentioned, I want 2 onboard nics and a creative sound integrated as well. I couldn't find one with everything unless I get an old system with the old chipset like my current motherboard. (GA-170x-G1)

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You're not going to find a 4-slot x16 mobo, for Z170/Z270/Z370, without using a PLX chip. And someone bought that company, and apparently, they are now too expensive to use on mobos, at least the ones that you'll find under $400. At which point, you might as well go with the X299 platform and Skylake-X, if you really need that many PCI-E lanes. The mainstream CPU/chipset, only supports 16 CPU PCI-E 3.0 lanes, and 24 chipset lanes, which are funneled down to 4 lanes, where it meets the CPU and memory controller.

TL;DR - You're buying the wrong platform. Think bigger.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Thanks for the quick reply and the links! I was hoping to find one with 4 16x slots which gives me a little more flexibility where I place things and so if I get a 2nd video card I can team them.

Oh and I should have mentioned, I want 2 onboard nics and a creative sound integrated as well. I couldn't find one with everything unless I get an old system with the old chipset like my current motherboard. (GA-170x-G1)

SLI or Crossfire is all but dead. It seems a lot more work (and costs more) than it's worth dealing with incompatibility and driver issues. Better to just buy the top single card (1080ti), and call it a day.

Plus, your Z170 board is not what I would call an "old chipset". It might not have 6 cores like the new Coffee Lake CPUs do, but the Sky Lake and Kaby Lake CPUs will hold their own for several more years, unless you are a bench-marker. Plus, it looks like the z370 chipset will be a one-off platform, with the possibility of it being a very short-lived socket once the z390 hits towards the end of next year.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
You're not going to find a 4-slot x16 mobo, for Z170/Z270/Z370, without using a PLX chip. And someone bought that company, and apparently, they are now too expensive to use on mobos, at least the ones that you'll find under $400. At which point, you might as well go with the X299 platform and Skylake-X, if you really need that many PCI-E lanes. The mainstream CPU/chipset, only supports 16 CPU PCI-E 3.0 lanes, and 24 chipset lanes, which are funneled down to 4 lanes, where it meets the CPU and memory controller.

TL;DR - You're buying the wrong platform. Think bigger.
Or the OP could go with the X399chipset and Threadripper instead. Which gives 64 PCIe lanes.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

boed

Nov 19, 2009
Thanks - I never really understand the 24 lanes or more with PLX. I believe my current system has the PLX. It seems to handle full throughput with all my components fine. I do need a second PC soon and want it to have all the features of my current rig but I'm not sure I should seek out an older motherboard and CPU.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
8x raid, 8x network card and a 16x video card and I like the option of throwing in a second video card

Stop right there, Z370 won't be nearly enough PCIe lanes for you. It's either X299 Skylake-X or X399 Threadripper that you want if you really need 32+ lanes. Or go full workstation/server platform.

Because of product segmentation, the best bang for the buck would be to get a Threadripper 1900X + X399 board for 64 PCIe lanes. You'd have to step up to the i9-7900X ($999) on the Intel side to get 44 lanes.

boed

Nov 19, 2009
OK - I seem to be able to get full bandwidth utilization of my video, nic and raid card when I do benchmarking using my current set up which I believe is a 24 lane cpu but with a plx on the motherboard. Not sure if the PLX is giving me the throughput I need or I just don't need as many lanes.

boed

Nov 19, 2009
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm guessing my best option is to work around my backup and try and hold out about 8 months for the z390 and hope they come out sooner along with a CPU with 40 lanes.

boed

Nov 19, 2009
I seem to get good performance in my current situation perhaps due to the PLX chip on my motherboard. Anyone know of any new motherboards for the z370 with PLX?

lukart

Oct 27, 2014
I don't know why but I tend to buy Gigabyte after a series of broken MSI motherboards. Anyone know if Gigabyte has an ATX z370 in the works? I need lots of high speed slots - 8x raid, 8x network card and a 16x video card and I like the option of throwing in a second video card.

I hear you...
I've done the switch few years ago to asrock, pretty good so far.