Question Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master - can't get into BIOS

Chriz

Oct 9, 1999
I just built a new PC with a Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master. I was able to get into the BIOS on first bootup, but after that the only way I can get into the BIOS is to clear the CMOS with the handy button on the back, then it lets me go in one time. If I try to go in again after that, it just kind of locks up I guess you could say? For example, if I tell Win10 to restart into BIOS through the recovery screen, it restarts and eventually just stops the boot process and my monitors go to sleep. Not sure if it's actually in the BIOS at that point and I just can't see it, or if it's just locked up somewhere. Same thing happens if I try to get in by mashing the DEL key on bootup. Anyone experience this before? Any tips?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Could you provide full system specs please, and if possible, your monitor setup and how they are connected? That said, I vaguely remember hearing about this being some issue with certain DP (or was it HDMI) based monitors unable to go into BIOS on certain systems. I forget the fix and the exact issue, but it may be worth looking into.

Also, just to be clear, you are able to boot into Windows 10 fine and the computer works from there, but you are unable to go into the BIOS setup?

Chriz

Oct 9, 1999
Could you provide full system specs please, and if possible, your monitor setup and how they are connected? That said, I vaguely remember hearing about this being some issue with certain DP (or was it HDMI) based monitors unable to go into BIOS on certain systems. I forget the fix and the exact issue, but it may be worth looking into.

Also, just to be clear, you are able to boot into Windows 10 fine and the computer works from there, but you are unable to go into the BIOS setup?

Sure.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X
MB: Gigabyte Aorus Master X570S
RAM: 64 GB Silicon Power Turbine Xpower DDR4 3600 (4 x 16 GB)
Graphics: EVGA GeForce RTX 3050 XC GAMING
Sound: Sound Blaster Z SE (in PCIe x4 slot)
PSU: Seasonic Prime TX-750
Drives: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB, Samsung 870 EVO 4TB, Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB, Asus Blu-ray drive, Plextor DVDR
CPU water cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H115i RGB PRO XT
Case: Corsair Obisidian 450D
Monitors: Samsung C24FG70 24" (x2)

Correct, I am able to boot into Windows 10 fine, but rebooting into the BIOS won't work. Monitors are plugged in through displayport and I think they are only DP 1.2 because they are 1080p monitors. The other issue I have is the video card only runs in PCIe 4.0 8x mode instead of 16x mode, even though nothing is plugged into the 8x slot. Yes I did try taking the sound card out of the 4x slot, made no difference. I was thinking about contacting Gigabyte and that these may be issues with the board, but thought I'd ask her first.

Jul 27, 2020
Any tips?
Lot of stuff connected to the mobo. Reduce to the bare minimum (only OS drive, one stick of RAM, only graphics card, don't plug in sound card, use HDMI only to connect to monitor) and then see if you can enter BIOS successfully. If you can, start adding stuff one by one to see what locks the BIOS up. If you can't, maybe try an older graphics card if you have one or borrow one from a friend.

Chriz

Oct 9, 1999
Lot of stuff connected to the mobo. Reduce to the bare minimum (only OS drive, one stick of RAM, only graphics card, don't plug in sound card, use HDMI only to connect to monitor) and then see if you can enter BIOS successfully. If you can, start adding stuff one by one to see what locks the BIOS up. If you can't, maybe try an older graphics card if you have one or borrow one from a friend.
First thing I tried was using HDMI for one of the monitors (there's only one HDMI port). I was able to get into the BIOS if I do that, but only if I don't have the second monitor plugged in. Any way to get this to work with displayport? Very odd that it does work with displayport on the first boot after clearing the CMOS but not after that.

Also, any idea for the video card running at 8x instead of 16x?

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
Wired or wireless keyboard? Connected to the MB, hub, or front panel?

With a wired keyboard, try switching between the USB 2.0 and USB 3.2 ports on the MB back panel.

My X570 Aorus Pro Wifi likes the keyboard and mouse plugged into USB 3.x ports. SOP is to plug them into 2.0.

Chriz

Oct 9, 1999
Wired or wireless keyboard? Connected to the MB, hub, or front panel?

With a wired keyboard, try switching between the USB 2.0 and USB 3.2 ports on the MB back panel.

My X570 Aorus Pro Wifi likes the keyboard and mouse plugged into USB 3.x ports. SOP is to plug them into 2.0.
Wired keyboard, plugged into the MB back panel. I tried the 3.x ports for the keyboard, both the gen 1 and gen 2. BIOS still only shows up if no DisplayPort is being used.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Wired keyboard, plugged into the MB back panel. I tried the 3.x ports for the keyboard, both the gen 1 and gen 2. BIOS still only shows up if no DisplayPort is being used.
It might have already been asked / stated in the thread, but have you tried a different DisplayPort cable?

It could be defective and causing some kind of short or issue.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Chriz

Oct 9, 1999
It might have already been asked / stated in the thread, but have you tried a different DisplayPort cable?

It could be defective and causing some kind of short or issue.
Yes, I've tried that. It also wouldn't make sense for that to be the issue since clearing the CMOS makes it work with DisplayPort on the initial boot after the clear, then stops working after that. I went ahead and sent in a request to Gigabyte for help with this, but I suppose it could be an EVGA/Nvidia issue as well.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Do you have fast boot on? How about the logo screen? I disabled fast boot and show the logo just so I have a chance to get into bios. Have a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra and using DP as well.

But I have not done dual monitor on this machine.

Last edited:

Chriz

Oct 9, 1999
Do you have fast boot on? How about the logo screen? I disabled fast boot and show the logo just so I have a chance to get into bios. Have a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra and using DP as well.
Fast boot is disabled, yes. In fact they disable that by default which was surprising. I tried both logo on and off, and I can only see either screen if the monitor is plugged through HDMI and I don't have the second monitor plugged in.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Fast boot is disabled, yes. In fact they disable that by default which was surprising. I tried both logo on and off, and I can only see either screen if the monitor is plugged through HDMI and I don't have the second monitor plugged in.

Bizarre.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Tried an old video card, a Geforce GTX 750 Ti, and had the same issue with DisplayPort. So seems more like a motherboard issue.
That is odd. I would submit a ticket with Gigabyte, they might be able to help with tweaking a BIOS setting or provide a beta BIOS update or something.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Have you tried disconnecting the power and draining the caps on the board to remove errata? Sometimes my aorus master x570 v1.00 turns stupid and I have to do that to get it running right. Just last week my 6900 xt running adrenaline 22.5.2 decided that it would start turning my 2nd monitor off while in use at random intervals so I had to drain the caps to get it working right. I run my primary monitor off the card's usb-c to DP and the 2nd on DP using high quality cable matters braided dp 1.4 cables so rolling back to 22.5.1 and draining the caps got everything right.

• Wow
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Chriz

Oct 9, 1999
Gigabyte replied to the ticket and said to try a different video card. I told them I tried that, and their response was "Unfortunately, motherboard itself is not capable to control how the installed graphics card display screen." Wow, very disappointed.

The fact that every time I clear the CMOS I can see the BIOS using DisplayPort on the first boot makes me doubt that other hardware could be the issue.