Question gigabyte x570s and amd 5800x idle problems

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
I have tried everything to get this to idle in windows 10. In the bios the system is showing 3812 at 32c .972 volts
In windows 10 its at 4600 with cpu usage fluctuating at 0-1%
I tried setting the power settings in windows to min of 10 but it changed nothing.
Is there something in the bios or windows that controls idle that I am missing?
Is there a secret code LOL

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Zen CPUs change power states so rapidly most monitoring software will itself alter the clock speed reading.

Make sure you have the appropriate AMD Chipset drivers installed for your motherboard and set your power plan to the default "Balanced" and it should operate as intended.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I have some potentially bad news... the ONLY way to be certain that your CPU is 100% "idle" is to shut down your computer. (should really unplug it as well)

Good news however is that unless it's running really hot at low loads you're worrying about a none-problem.

burninatortech4

Jan 29, 2014
I have some potentially bad news... the ONLY way to be certain that your CPU is 100% "idle" is to shut down your computer. (should really unplug it as well)

Good news however is that unless it's running really hot at low loads you're worrying about a none-problem.
Good point. With wall power the PSP is still operating.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Zen CPUs change power states so rapidly most monitoring software will itself alter the clock speed reading.

Make sure you have the appropriate AMD Chipset drivers installed for your motherboard and set your power plan to the default "Balanced" and it should operate as intended.
Is the default balanced plan recommended for all Ryzen generations? I remembered Zen3 was supposed to work better with the Ryzen power plan, the later on after Windows/AMD updates, the default balanced plan was recommended