GIGABYTE X399 AORUS XTREME sTR4 AMD X399

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
Yes!

Unfortunately (I know this is pathetic LOL!) I've had it over a week (imagine that!) and have not actually tested things. First off, I need to update its BIOS. I could not O/C at all and memory only runs at 2100. I'm using 8 pieces of 16GB DDR4-2666 Corsair Vengeance. I've read this board is picky with RAM.

But it does support ECC!

Kyle at [H] just posted a review and gave it a gold.

I'm running a 2990WX and have been since release day on a Zenith Extreme with no real issues. Even OC to 4GHz is stable. I do have a 120mm fan pointing at the board to cool the VRM section and am using top liquid cooling to keep it happy. The Zenith will only run my mem at 2400 though. With this much "load" on the mem controllers it's probably going to be difficult if not impossible to get the ram higher. Unfortunately this platform needs it as high as possible. But 32 cores helps with what we intend to do with it!

I figured I try the Gigabyte due to its brazen reviews but right now I'm not particularly impressed.

That may change as I've downloaded the BIOS and will flash tonight and see what I can break. ;)

Joseph Combs

Jul 27, 2018
I look forward to hearing about your progress .... as this is a board I am interested in! What BIOS did it come with, and where did you buy it?

Yes!

Unfortunately (I know this is pathetic LOL!) I've had it over a week (imagine that!) and have not actually tested things. First off, I need to update its BIOS. I could not O/C at all and memory only runs at 2100. I'm using 8 pieces of 16GB DDR4-2666 Corsair Vengeance. I've read this board is picky with RAM.

But it does support ECC!

Kyle at [H] just posted a review and gave it a gold.

I'm running a 2990WX and have been since release day on a Zenith Extreme with no real issues. Even OC to 4GHz is stable. I do have a 120mm fan pointing at the board to cool the VRM section and am using top liquid cooling to keep it happy. The Zenith will only run my mem at 2400 though. With this much "load" on the mem controllers it's probably going to be difficult if not impossible to get the ram higher. Unfortunately this platform needs it as high as possible. But 32 cores helps with what we intend to do with it!

I figured I try the Gigabyte due to its brazen reviews but right now I'm not particularly impressed.

That may change as I've downloaded the BIOS and will flash tonight and see what I can break. ;)

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
I got the BIOS updated early (very early AM!) today and lo and behold it boots up with all 8 sticks using XMP profile. CPU-Z verified memory at 1333 (DDR4-2666).

That's good!

Of course when I set the multi to 40 it still isn't running at 4GHz. Must be a TDP limiter set in here. I don't care for this UEFI. It's probably OK, I'm just used to Asus and somewhat MSI.

However, getting it to work on XMP at 2666 is good news indeed as my Zenith refuses to POST anything higher than 2400.

The BIOS the board shipped with is release F3 and the current one is F4d. There are two chips as well in case of a bad flash.

I paid $429 at my local Micro Center store for mine.

Joseph Combs

Jul 27, 2018
I ordered the same board and the 2950x last night ..... paid $429 for the board on NewEgg. All parts will be here Friday. #FunSaturday

Last edited:

Joseph Combs

Jul 27, 2018
What kind of memory are you using? I'm going to try G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z370 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ

Joseph Combs

Jul 27, 2018
Got it all assembled, but I think I have a bad video card. Bought a 1080TI off E-Bay and not sure it works. Just not getting any screen IO on boot .... first time I've tried the video card. May be asking for a refund after I replace the video card tonight.

Joseph Combs

Jul 27, 2018
Si it turned out the 1080TI card was potentially bad, was not displaying, all was well when I replaced the 1080ti with the older Radeon RX480 .... then Microsoft invalidated my Windows 10 license for the hardware change and wanted me to produce my Windows 8.1 license key .... nothing is free

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
I'd post how to fix that but they'd probably give me a time out LOL.

Joseph Combs

Jul 27, 2018
Pretend I'm senile (been building computers since 1994) and humor me o_O... I had plenty of power with one 8-pin and one 6-pin connector and a brand new Seasonic 850 watt titanium PSU .... so its not a power issue, and the cooling fan came on, so it was getting power.

Love the motherboard BTW, its solid

Last edited:

Joseph Combs

Jul 27, 2018
It would appear after doing some research that this is a widely experience problem with the 1080TI ..... have some things to check when I go home tonight.

Joseph Combs

Jul 27, 2018
I bought the Aorus Extreme x399 motherboard and the 2950x threadripper, fantastic setup. Could not ask for anything better.