Question Gigabyte GTX1060 will not display 4k using display port

wayneroons8991

Jan 9, 2020
I am trying to connect my PC to my LG C9 65 inch OLED TV as well as my LG SK10Y dolby atmos enabled soundbar. I want to watch 4k Atmos TrueHD movies on my PC and listen to dolby atmos through my soundbar.

However, when I connect my TV to the PC using the graphic card HDMI slot, I only have the option to connect my soundbar to the PC using the display port slot or the mother board HDMI slot, neither of which are passing through dolby atmos signal to the soundbar from the PC.

As a result of which, I am connect the soundbar to the PC using the HDMI slot in my graphic card and now I am able to get dolby atmos on my soundbar. But because of this I am left with connecting my TV to the PC using only the display port on the PC. I tried connecting the TV through it's HDMI slot to the display port on the graphic card of the PC using a HDMI to display port adapter, but when I do that I am only getting 1080p resolution with no option to go above that to 4k.

The HDMI to display port adapter is rated to showcase 4k resolution but I am not getting that option at all. When I connect the TV to the PC through the HDMI slot on the graphic card, I get the full 4k option (but this as I mentioned above does not give me the option to pass dolby atmos signal to the soundbar)

I am not sure how to make this work at all. It seems I can either watch a movie at 4k resolution through my PC and get only dolby digital sound, or watch a movie at 1080p on my PC and get dolby atmos sound. But not both!

Any help wound be highly appreciated. I expected the TV to easily showcase 4K using the display port adapter since both the graphic card and the display port adapter seem to support 4k pass through using the display port.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
First of all, I'm not quite understanding why you need TWO audio-video outputs, of the same content, one to the TV, and one to the soundbar. Does the Soundbar not hook up to a digital audio output off of the TV?

Also, do you have an A/V receiver? Shouldn't the soundbar connect to the A/V receiver, and the output from the PC (4K60 HDMI) into the receiver?

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
What graphics card are you running and what CPU? Could be some HDCP handshake issues. Also, I assume you're not wanting to play 4k bluray discs, only 4k files correct?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Ok, for you to get HDMI 2.0b, and thus 4k/60hz, it seems you will need an active adapter. There are a LOT of Displayport 1.2 cables and adapters in the wild, but the bandwidth is too limited for the newer displays.

Now, the GTX 1060 via DP 1.4 active HDMI 2.0b adapter cable to TV will see the TV as yet another sound output option. You may have to go to the control panel to tell it to stay on HDMI/Soundbar.

Also, if the adapters still give you trouble (it can happen sometimes, believe me), have you looked at your motherboard? Many people are surprised to find out that most any Intel HD onboard IGP from the past 5 or s gens can work in conjunction with your GPU. Thus, especially if it's a recent HDMI 2 capable model (iirc : 7th gen or newer), you should be able to use the Intel HDMI output to send audio to the Soundbar, and then use HDMI from 1060 to 4kHDR TV.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Another weird note, and I guess we should back up here first : the Soundbar should have HDMI in and out. Is there a reason you can't use PC/1060 out to Soundbar, Soundbar to TV? It's supposed to be able to pass 4k/60HDR.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

wayneroons8991

Jan 9, 2020
First of all, I'm not quite understanding why you need TWO audio-video outputs, of the same content, one to the TV, and one to the soundbar. Does the Soundbar not hook up to a digital audio output off of the TV?

Also, do you have an A/V receiver? Shouldn't the soundbar connect to the A/V receiver, and the output from the PC (4K60 HDMI) into the receiver?

I want to watch 4K TrueHD atmos files from my PC. The only way I am able to play dolby atmos content through my PC is if I hook up the HDMI port of the GTX 1060 to the HDMI-In port of the soundbar. Now If I do that, then my only option to display 4k on the TV is to connect the TV HDMI in to the PC through the display port, but no matter what HDMI-display port adapter I try (the TV does not have a display port), I am not able to get 4k signal (max resolution shown by the Nvidia control panel is 1080p.

I don't think the cable is the issue, because when I connect the TV HDMI cable directly to the HDMI input of the graphic card then I get 4k 60Hz without any problems.

I don't have an AV receiver and connect my soundbar directly to the PC

wayneroons8991

Jan 9, 2020
What graphics card are you running and what CPU? Could be some HDCP handshake issues. Also, I assume you're not wanting to play 4k bluray discs, only 4k files correct?

This is the GPU I use:

Yes I only want to play 4K TrueHD atmos files through my PC.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
You'll need to have the Dolby Atmos app and most current version of Windows 10 to get it all working.

Also, be sure the playback software is setup for bitstreaming (e.g. For VLC: Preferences, Audio, Pass-through options, etc.), and the file is for sure encoded with Atmos.

wayneroons8991

Jan 9, 2020
Ok, for you to get HDMI 2.0b, and thus 4k/60hz, it seems you will need an active adapter. There are a LOT of Displayport 1.2 cables and adapters in the wild, but the bandwidth is too limited for the newer displays.

Now, the GTX 1060 via DP 1.4 active HDMI 2.0b adapter cable to TV will see the TV as yet another sound output option. You may have to go to the control panel to tell it to stay on HDMI/Soundbar.

Also, if the adapters still give you trouble (it can happen sometimes, believe me), have you looked at your motherboard? Many people are surprised to find out that most any Intel HD onboard IGP from the past 5 or s gens can work in conjunction with your GPU. Thus, especially if it's a recent HDMI 2 capable model (iirc : 7th gen or newer), you should be able to use the Intel HDMI output to send audio to the Soundbar, and then use HDMI from 1060 to 4kHDR TV.

I have tried a no. of HDMI to display port adapters rated to support 4k at 60hz but none seem to work. I tried connecting the soundbar to the HDMI port of the motherboard but then I get no sound from my soundbar at all. I tried installing all the latest realtek drivers to make it happen but to no avail.

wayneroons8991

Jan 9, 2020
You'll need to have the Dolby Atmos app and most current version of Windows 10 to get it all working.

Also, be sure the playback software is setup for bitstreaming (e.g. For VLC: Preferences, Audio, Pass-through options, etc.), and the file is for sure encoded with Atmos.

All this is already set, and I am able to play dolby atmos when I connect my PC to the soundbar using the GPU's HDMI port. But then I am not able to get 4K through the Display port .

If I connect the soundbar using the motherboard's HDMI port, then I get no sound at all even after I enable the onboard graphics

Micrornd

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2013
Dolby Atmos is a 7.1 configuration at minimum, TrueHD is a 5.1 configuration at minimum.
How are you expecting to get that from a soundbar ?

wayneroons8991

Jan 9, 2020
Another weird note, and I guess we should back up here first : the Soundbar should have HDMI in and out. Is there a reason you can't use PC/1060 out to Soundbar, Soundbar to TV? It's supposed to be able to pass 4k/60HDR.

PC is connected to the sound bar using GTX 1060 HDMI out -> Sound bar HDMI in. Soundbar HDMI out (TV ARC) is connected to TV HDMI ARC port. But the TV needs to be connected directly to the PC as well to display the screen, and this is now only possible through the TV HDMI to PC display port using an adapter (which doesn't seem to give an option for 4K resolution no matter which adapter I try)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
PC is connected to the sound bar using GTX 1060 HDMI out -> Sound bar HDMI in. Soundbar HDMI out (TV ARC) is connected to TV HDMI ARC port. But the TV needs to be connected directly to the PC as well to display the screen, and this is now only possible through the TV HDMI to PC display port using an adapter (which doesn't seem to give an option for 4K resolution no matter which adapter I try)
This all sounds like HDCP issues with the PC, Soundbar, and TV, to me. I'm not sure what the solution is, but running two parallel display outputs over two separate interfaces, doesn't sound like the "right" solution to me.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
I must have missed it, but why isn’t the HDMI cable connected from the pc to the tv, and the tv connected to the soundbar via optic, or arc?

wayneroons8991

Jan 9, 2020
I must have missed it, but why isn’t the HDMI cable connected from the pc to the tv, and the tv connected to the soundbar via optic, or arc?

I tried that, but then I only get normal sound using the soundbar without any dolby atmos. The metadata reader for the file seems to be the PC here, using the Dolby Access app. The TV doesn't seem to recognize the file as a dolby atmos file/ read the dolby atmos metadata

wayneroons8991

Jan 9, 2020
This all sounds like HDCP issues with the PC, Soundbar, and TV, to me. I'm not sure what the solution is, but running two parallel display outputs over two separate interfaces, doesn't sound like the "right" solution to me.

What is the ideal connection you will recommend if the simple need is to be able to play a dolby atmos 4K file through the PC at 4k resolution?

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005

wayneroons8991

Jan 9, 2020
Ok I think I got this sorted now. I simply disconnected the PC from the TV and just used the passthrough from the soundbar for both audio and video (PC GPU HDMI -> soundbar HDMI IN, and then soundbar HDMI ARC to TV HDMI ARC)

I had to turn AV Sync off in the TV and change HDMI input settings to Bitstream. Don't know why but this seems be doing the trick.

This still doesn't explain why the GPU displayport to HDMI IN of the TV doesn't let show a 4K option, but I am not really bothered now :)

Thanks everyone for your help!