GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER Max. Temperatures?

Cro2019

Jul 22, 2019
I have new GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER GAMING OC 8 GB. Is it 83°C normal in games? In idle 45-50°C.

Last edited:
Reactions: george201011

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
It's a little on the high side but maybe your case doesn't have great airflow? What model of case do you have and how many fans? Also what's the ambient temperature in your room?

Guru

May 5, 2017
What speeds is the fan running at? Its normal, but a tad bit hot, though in these hot summer days its not unusual.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
For after an aftermarket cooled card, thats quite high. I mean, that card has 3 fans on it, it should not even get close to those temps. People just ripped into AMD for their blower cards hitting the mid 80's. I would not be happy if my custom cooled card hit those temps.

So, like Guru asked, check the fan RPM using afterburner or something, see how it tracks with load.

Also, as daveybrat asks, what case do you have? Case cooling can have a large impact on the temps that your devices run at.

And for comparison, what does your CPU run at?

Cro2019

Jul 22, 2019
GPU Fan Max. 3500RPM in games. CPU around 70-80°C in games. I have Fractal Design R3.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Ah, yeah, that's an older Fractal case. Unfortunately that case only came with a single front and rear 120MM fan. Also the front door that closes cuts down on airflow a lot. I prefer cases with mesh fronts and at least two fans for good airflow.

Try running it with the front door open on that case and have you cleaned the filters and fans in a while?

Cro2019

Jul 22, 2019
I had 80°C in games with GTX GPU. Can i damage my GPU if i play with this temperature?

Last edited:

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
The RTX 2060 Super has a maximum thermal temperature of 89 Celcius. The card will start to throttle down the GPU/Memory speeds and ramp up the fans on the card well before it should hit that.

You won't do any damage to the card at 80 Celcius but i would definitely try to get that lower.

Cro2019

Jul 22, 2019
If i set FPS to 60 (Vsync) i have around 50-60°C in games.

Last edited:

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
With your CPU running so hot also, your case is certainly having cooling issues. And that case while nice to look at, is not known for good air flow. Try gaming with the side panel completely off, and see how things go.

Cro2019

Jul 22, 2019
I bought this GPU in computeruniverse . Maybe i have faulty GPU because high temperatures?

natarmy

Jul 28, 2019
I bought Gigabyte 2060 super Windforce edition and got the same temperature. 83c or even get to 86c with fan speed 100%. When take side panel off the temperature down to 75c.

Quite dissappoint

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
This suggest that both of your guys' cases are not properly exhausting hot air. An 11C change by taking off the side cover is pretty significant.

george201011

Nov 17, 2019
hello good people! rtx 2060 super inno 3d .... COD MW has 83 degrees celsius going up or stopping there .. with a maximum of 90 fps in settings ... I have heard of temperatures and solutions like open the case or you have no airflow but at in idle I have 36-37 degrees Celsius in the enclosed housing but with a modification made by me on the side panel where the video card blows. I cut an opening next to the video card and installed a fan that draws air from the video card(
and I think I managed to create a push pull system that we can find on some CPU coolers)
... anyway the change would be that I no longer have in idle 45-47 degrees celsius but in full load I would say that at 83 degrees reach ..... instead at 80-70 fps temperatures drop to 75-68 degrees celsius .... the problem is (in my opinion and at least in this model) that the air is pushed by fans to the side panel and a turbulence is created that causes the heated air to be recirculated by the fans of the video card ... once I even managed to smell the burnt plastic I suspect the casing was closed in the office and did not have cold air from the room ... my mistake ..... until now after this event I see that it works and I have no problems ..... but if it rises to 120 fps I am sure it gets very hot with all the fans put by me ........

I think if I blame the computer case I am mistaken ... the video card goes to high temperatures anyway and a decent solution would be to compartmentalize the computer case and go to the push pull system for each hot component cpu video card and here we no longer include the power source that should not heat the air in the computer case anyway ..... and to use a riser to reposition the video card, I think that would be a solution, or to change the video card with a water cooler ... .. if we do not care about the warranty

Last edited:

RTXMAN

Nov 25, 2020
Bonjour, je déterre le topic en précisant que j'ai une 2060 Super 8Go, un Ryzen 5 3600X 6 core 12 threads, 64Go de RAM Corsair, j'ai utiliser 3D FurMark avec un stress test je monte à 83 degrés et même sans overclock (81 degrés) de la 2060 je ne perds que 1fps ca vaut vraiment pas le coup de faire chauffer juste pour cela je vais tout remettre part défauts… A bon entendeurs...!!! ;-)

anjanisingh

Mar 16, 2021
The RTX 2060 Super has a maximum thermal temperature of 89 Celcius. The card will start to throttle down the GPU/Memory speeds and ramp up the fans on the card well before it should hit that.

You won't do any damage to the card at 80 Celcius but i would definitely try to get that lower.

I have inno 3d rtx 2060 super.. Gpu works fine but it runs pretty hot.. Gpu temperature sometimes hit 83 degree, which I can see is the max temperature in msi afterburner. After reaching 83 it drops to 82, why my gpu have to go at 83 degree to thermal throttle itself. I mean temperature above 83, if not overclocking, itself can shorten the lifespan of gpu and it can also damage electronic component. What should be the optimal temperature for rtx 2060 super... If i change the fan curve.. Also does increasing fan speed to 90 percent under extreme load will shorten the life span of fan?.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I have inno 3d rtx 2060 super.. Gpu works fine but it runs pretty hot.. Gpu temperature sometimes hit 83 degree, which I can see is the max temperature in msi afterburner. After reaching 83 it drops to 82, why my gpu have to go at 83 degree to thermal throttle itself. I mean temperature above 83, if not overclocking, itself can shorten the lifespan of gpu and it can also damage electronic component. What should be the optimal temperature for rtx 2060 super... If i change the fan curve.. Also does increasing fan speed to 90 percent under extreme load will shorten the life span of fan?.

You probably should have created a new thread for this question.

As for why, it could be many things. Is your computer case adequately cooled? Is the GPUs heatsink maybe full of dust? Are the fans working properly?

Last edited:

anjanisingh

Mar 16, 2021
You probably should have created a new thread for this question.

As for while, it could be many things. Is your computer case adequately cooled? Is the GPUs heatsink maybe full of dust? Are the fans working properly?

Yes, I checked my gpu, there is no dust.. It is inno3d, not very good brand like zotac and msi but it is not that bad also. It has pretty bad thermal, there cards are reputed to run very hot. Below is my fan curve

I bought pathetic Inno 3d rtx 2060 super gpu in last year. Probably Aug 2020. The gpu thermals are very bad. Its thermal are not enough to prevent the gpu thermal throttling at 83 degree C. It runs very hot at 82 C at 98 gpu usage. So, what i have done is that I made custom fan curve using msi afterburner.. By default my gpu fan starts at 59 C.. So that I kept the same.. Here is the temperature and fan speed at that point :

59 C : 0 % fan speed
70 : 40 percent speed
77 : 70 percent speed
79 : 78 percent fan speed
80 : 85 percent fan speed
81 : 90 percent fan speed
82 : 95 percent fan speed..

I refrain setting fan speed at 100 percent.

By setting this fan curve, I prevent my gpu from thermal throttling, now it runs at 80-81 at 98 percent gpu usage. Now it is not crossing 81, but gpu fan are running very high to maintain that temps. My question is that setting such gpu fan curve, where fan runs at 90 percent in extreme load.. Is harmful? Does it reduce the lifespan of gpu fan, causing it to fail early?

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
If there is a life spam difference between 50% fan and 100% fan, there is no real way to measure it. And I am willing to bet even if you could, the difference is very small.

What case do you have this in? Custom fan profiles typically are not required to prevent throttling. Although its possible Inno3d really wanted to have a "quiet" GPU, so they arbitrarily set the fan curve low to make it quiet, at the cost of performance.

nbr85

Apr 14, 2021
Hi,

Finally, I found a forum/thread for this topic. I also use a RTX 2060 Super, to be more precise the Aorus 2060 Super 8G rev1.0. This GPU is a Triple-Slot GPU with 3x100mm fans. Im really happy with the performance of this card, but at the same time it's pretty much at 80°C which really concerns me. At the same the fans are spinning like crazy and are really loud. My very old GPU was silent compared to this one. Is this normal or can this be caused by any kind of hardware damage?

My Case: BeQuiet Silent Base 600 with removed HDD-Cage, nothing else changed.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hi,

Finally, I found a forum/thread for this topic. I also use a RTX 2060 Super, to be more precise the Aorus 2060 Super 8G rev1.0. This GPU is a Triple-Slot GPU with 3x100mm fans. Im really happy with the performance of this card, but at the same time it's pretty much at 80°C which really concerns me. At the same the fans are spinning like crazy and are really loud. My very old GPU was silent compared to this one. Is this normal or can this be caused by any kind of hardware damage?

My Case: BeQuiet Silent Base 600 with removed HDD-Cage, nothing else changed.
Sounds like it needs a dusting / re-paste / new thermal pads...