GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 Mini

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Does the mini still have sufficient cooling for mining?

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
I own this Gigabyte card. It died after about 5 weeks of light mining / gaming / HTPC duties. Currently being RMA'd. Temperatures were kept at 80 C or less. Came with Micron memory, not Samsung but the memory appeared to overclock just fine. On an open bench I hit 30Mh with Claymore mining Ether.

Mine could have just been a dud but given the way Gigabyte has cheaped out on other cards recently I'm not sure I would recommend this card. The port arrangement is a little outdated as well.

I will say in an open environment or with good airflow this card is pretty darn quiet if you keep the fan under 45% (this is easy to achieve). It's also very short but *tall* so keep that in mind if you're stuffing inside an ITX enclosure.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I own this Gigabyte card. It died after about 5 weeks of light mining / gaming / HTPC duties. Currently being RMA'd. Temperatures were kept at 80 C or less. Came with Micron memory, not Samsung but the memory appeared to overclock just fine. On an open bench I hit 30Mh with Claymore mining Ether.

Mine could have just been a dud but given the way Gigabyte has cheaped out on other cards recently I'm not sure I would recommend this card. The port arrangement is a little outdated as well.

I will say in an open environment or with good airflow this card is pretty darn quiet if you keep the fan under 45% (this is easy to achieve). It's also very short but *tall* so keep that in mind if you're stuffing inside an ITX enclosure.

Thank you. Good to know!

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
I own the Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini ITX and its wonderful. Surprising quiet for a single fan mini (quieter than an XFX R9 290 Double Dissipation card I owned for instance). Its also cool running. The max I've seen it while gaming is 74C and usually its in the mid to high 60s. Has a zero RPM fan in 2D mode. Feels solidly constructed as well. I love it. My other choice at the time was an EVGA FTW and I'm glad I didn't go that route now.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Really, I didn't know this, what cards?

The Radeon 470/480's Gigabyte cheaped out on. They used sub par cooling (compared to the competition) and a weaker than reference VRM design. I've also read a number of complaints about other Gigabyte 1070's (coil whine).

Again I may have just got a dud (hopefully that's all) but at least it didn't catch fire :)

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
May 11, 2008
The Radeon 470/480's Gigabyte cheaped out on. They used sub par cooling (compared to the competition) and a weaker than reference VRM design. I've also read a number of complaints about other Gigabyte 1070's (coil whine).

Again I may have just got a dud (hopefully that's all) but at least it didn't catch fire :)

I would not worry about it when using it normally.

I just watched this video and i am not impressed what the guy says.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdYzPEK9A30

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Using this in an htpc with Silverstone Sugo SG13 case. Extremely quiet especially with a custom fan profile. I game at 1080p with it so it never really gets pushed that hard. I have vsync always on so no issues with coil whine.