Gigabyte G1 Sniper A88X Motherboard

kawi6rr

Oct 17, 2013
Is this MB strickly for APU's? I picked this up for my son along with this chip.

AMD 760K Richland Quad-Core

I pretty sure its a bios issue from what I've been reading but now I'm thinking it could be the chip. I was pretty sure this chip was compatible with the MB.

Any ideas?

kawi6rr

Oct 17, 2013
I have an A6-3600 from his old computer but I don't see it on that chart so I guess it's not supported.

know of fence

May 28, 2009
You do need RAM and a discrete graphics card plugged into the monitor to get it working of course, integrated graphics is fused off on the Athlon CPUs.
It's likely that the motherboard has a newer BIOS version than F2, so forget I mentioned it.
What kind of graphics card are you using with this build?

kawi6rr

Oct 17, 2013
I'm using an HD 7790 graphics card and I have plenty of RAM. Reading the New Egg reviews makes me think it came with a newer bios that doesn't support my chip. I think it needs to be RMA'd. Don't know of any way to flash a new bios without a functioning proccessor or processor support.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Generally if the cpu is not on the cpu support list it will not work. But if you already have the board, you could try it.

if it still does not work. you could check some local computer shops, they may do a bios update for you with a supported processor that they have on hand.

know of fence

May 28, 2009
The A88 chipset and the (Fm2/FM2+ socket) was released as the fist F2+ socket board 6 month before Kaveri around November last year, it's bios should support Trinity and Richland CPUs that long preceded it without any issues, we are talking years prior, newer bios should support all prior CPUs of course.
Those Newegg reviews do blame the board or BIOS, I can see it with a Kaveri APUs it's, but not with the 760K Athlon.

Maybe check the manual again, once you ruled out assembly errors, like forgetting to connect both of the 4 pin (8pin) power connectors, or whatever. You can try to clear CMOS as described in the manual, make sure both RAM modules are in the right slots... Do the fans spin up, does the green light bar glow?

Before you RMA the CPU/board check if there are any bent pins...
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4683#manual