News GIGABYTE confirms GeForce RTX 3060 8GB, RTX 3070 16GB and RTX 3080 20GB

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
Gigabyte’s Watch Dogs Legion code redeeming website lists many graphics cards that have not been announced by the manufacturer. In fact, these cards have not even been announced by NVIDIA yet.

The product list features GeForce RTX 3060 (S – SUPER?) 8GB model, GeForce RTX 3070 16GB (S- SUPER?) and Geforce RTX 3080 20GB (also labelled S). It remains unclear if the S means a SUPER series, or as our sources tend to believe, the Ti models.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
If the 20GB 3080 arrive anytime soon, they will require a complex board layout and expensive memory. NVidia will charge you at least the actual cost for that, no rebates. Don't expect it to be a good deal and a no brainer buy.

If it arrives summer 2021 at a "cheap" price and this generation is a 2 year affair (2xxx series would imply that), the value of the 3080 10GB and the 3090 will still look good in hindsight, and the 20GB worse for the time you could actually enjoy it.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah, and that's what many AIBs are selling for too. I don't see how a $999 20GB 3080 would fly. That's putting the marginal cost of 10GB of GDDR6X at $300, which is nuts considering the 3080 already has that amount in its $700 price tag. I would think they'd have to launch it with slightly more shaders enabled than the 3080 and call it a super or Ti if they want to charge that much more.
They will need to do something depending on what AMD reveals. While $999 is quite high for just more ram, I also think they would have to make it a bit more powerful and call it a super to justify a price increase.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
Let me just post the power consumption numbers for the 3080. Let those numbers just sink in.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I don't see how a $999 20GB 3080 would fly. That's putting the marginal cost of 10GB of GDDR6X at $300, which is nuts considering the 3080 already has that amount in its $700 price tag.

This is going to be the luxury option that most people don't actually need. So it's going to be a high margin premium option. Not a ZERO margin, we are doing this out of the goodness of our hearts, option.

Apple charges $200 for 8GB upgrade of slow commodity DDR4 system memory.

This is 10GB of bleeding edge GDDR6x, plus double sided PCB, plus as above, luxury profit margins.

It's unlikely in the extreme that this will be less than a $200 upgrade, and $300 seems reasonably likely. Perhaps 95% likely that +$200-$300 is the range for the 10GB upgrade.

I can't imagine this coming in at less than $200 increase.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
This is going to be the luxury option that most people don't actually need. So it's going to be a high margin premium option. Not a ZERO margin, we are doing this out of the goodness of our hearts, option.

Apple charges $200 for 8GB upgrade of slow commodity DDR4 system memory.

This is 10GB of bleeding edge GDDR6x, plus double sided PCB, plus as above, luxury profit margins.

It's unlikely in the extreme that this will be less than a $200 upgrade, and $300 seems reasonably likely. Perhaps 95% likely that +$200-$300 is the range for the 10GB upgrade.

I can't imagine this coming in at less than $200 increase.
Again though, it already has 10GB of bleeding edge GDDR6x in its $700 model, as well as the fancy high density backdrilled PCB. Adding extra GDDR6x on the back side won't change the economics of the PCB much at all. Nvidia is free to charge whatever they want, but upping the price 43% for double the VRAM is going to be met with as much derision as Apple's pricing for memory upgrades.

Reactions: Tlh97

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Again though, it already has 10GB of bleeding edge GDDR6x in its $700 model, as well as the fancy high density backdrilled PCB. Adding extra GDDR6x on the back side won't change the economics of the PCB much at all. Nvidia is free to charge whatever they want, but upping the price 43% for double the VRAM is going to be met with as much derision as Apple's pricing for memory upgrades.

I am not saying it will be $300, just that it will be at least $200, and $300 is in the realm of the possible.

Check Apple profit margin, and then check NVidia profit margin, and tell me why you think NVidia would take significantly less margin than Apple on a optional luxury upgrade. I am pretty sure Jensen won't lose sleep over people deriding NVidia like Apple.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010

I would be extremely surprised if its less than $200 extra. Just look at the 3090. Its basically a 3080+10% and double the RAM for $800 more.

ModEl4

Oct 14, 2019
That could actually be the marketing game. 3090 partially exists to make the $1000 3080 20GB look good. :D
I don't know, it may well be $1000 (although i doubt it) but automatically this will also mean that at $700 and above there will be no competition from AMD which seems unlikely given the indications that we have: (80CU speculation, the PS5 clocks, AMD's slides stating RDNA2 has also IPC improvements, +50% performance/W improvements and that the last years AMD's advertised performance projections was fair) If Nvidia just wants to retain or increase the profit margins what forced her hand to price the 3080 at $700, 3080 will be around +38% faster than 3070 (2080S was only +18% faster than 2070S, it still had 8GB (now 10GB) and same class type (now GDDR6X). What is forcing Nvidia to have so competitive price in the $700 bracket and at the same time to get away with a $1000 20GB version, it just doesn't add up!🤔

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I don't know, it may well be $1000 (although i doubt it) but automatically this will also mean that at $700 and above there will be no competition from AMD which seems unlikely given the indications that we have: (80CU speculation, the PS5 clocks, AMD's slides stating RDNA2 has also IPC improvements, +50% performance/W improvements and that the last years AMD's advertised performance projections was fair) If Nvidia just wants to retain or increase the profit margins what forced her hand to price the 3080 at $700, 3080 will be around +38% faster than 3070 (2080S was only +18% faster than 2070S, it still had 8GB (now 10GB) and same class type (now GDDR6X). What is forcing Nvidia to have so competitive price in the $700 bracket and at the same time to get away with a $1000 20GB version, it just doesn't add up!🤔

-This is assuming AMD has any interest in engaging in a price war with NV rather than pursuing NV's margins.

AMD is going to price up to their performance level, not price down to their die size. They readily demonstrated this with Navi 10, with a 250mm2 die going for a (relatively) outrageous $400 bucks.

Additionally, demand for digital good and services is through the roof this year with everyone sitting at home. There isn't going to be enough supply for anything: NV/Consoles/AMD. Might as well price up now when you know every part is going to move, its what NV was thinking when they slapped a $1500 price tag on an extra 20% performance.

ModEl4

Oct 14, 2019
-This is assuming AMD has any interest in engaging in a price war with NV rather than pursuing NV's margins.

AMD is going to price up to their performance level, not price down to their die size. They readily demonstrated this with Navi 10, with a 250mm2 die going for a (relatively) outrageous $400 bucks.

Additionally, demand for digital good and services is through the roof this year with everyone sitting at home. There isn't going to be enough supply for anything: NV/Consoles/AMD. Might as well price up now when you know every part is going to move, its what NV was thinking when they slapped a $1500 price tag on an extra 20% performance.
Well, I see what you're saying and I agree with many, but like I mentioned in my first post, imo it does not add up, my point was that in order Nvidia to price 3080 10GB at $700 they probably had info about the competition forcing them to price it at that level, even if they were wrong, now it's done, AMD will have to be competitive in price/performance with this card (if they have a card at +$700) there is no good scenario for AMD otherwise..., so I don't see how AMD this time can be competitive at price/performance with 3080 10GB and at the same time Nvidia price the 20GB version (same performance as 3080 10GB) at $1000. I could be wrong of course, (but in this case surely a $1000 3080 20GB does not make sense at all from a price/performance standpoint, surely memory sells, but still) in any case we will know sooner than later.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Well, I see what you're saying and I agree with many, but like I mentioned in my first post, imo it does not add up, my point was that in order Nvidia to price 3080 10GB at $700 they probably had info about the competition forcing them to price it at that level, even if they were wrong, now it's done, AMD will have to be competitive in price/performance with this card (if they have a card at +$700) there is no good scenario for AMD otherwise..., so I don't see how AMD this time can be competitive at price/performance with 3080 10GB and at the same time Nvidia price the 20GB version (same performance as 3080 10GB) at $1000. I could be wrong of course, (but in this case surely a $1000 3080 20GB does not make sense at all from a price/performance standpoint, surely memory sells, but still) in any case we will know sooner than later.

- Interesting point, but honestly I don't think NV even thinks about AMD as a serious competitor anymore. NV owns 80% of the market, they're on the brink of monopolizing the add in gaming card market.

Whatever inkling NV had about AMD, they definitely knew that they were in a tight spot with their own performance improvements and yields vs their prior gens, but the got a sweet deal on die costs with Samsung. Their biggest competition is their prior line-up of cards, and a huge number of people (like me) sitting on perfectly serviceable 9xx and 10xx hardware. We need a reason to upgrade and NV is laying out the lure of "affordable" performance with the 3080 10G.

AMD will come out with whatever AMD will come out with, but it will take them multiple generations of solid execution to be a threat to NV. By then NV will be off conquering all the professional markets and slaying Intel and throwing the DIY crowd a bone every now and again.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I don't think 10GB is really enough for the next 3 years at 4k, and would probably wait on a 20GB version at a reasonable cost increase. That is absolutely future me's problem though, and today the 3080 has enough to play at 4k without issue. If it strictly is a memory increase, when review time comes and the $1000 3080 20GB scores the exact same as the current $700 it's going to be terrible price/performance. I think you're right on the positioning, and I'd buy the 10GB version or a 16GB Navi equivalent over a thousand dollar 3080 and keep the $300 to spend buying a 4080 when it rolls around. I don't see how Nvidia can reach that far for 10GB without some other meaningful performance increase.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
What is forcing Nvidia to have so competitive price in the $700 bracket and at the same time to get away with a $1000 20GB version, it just doesn't add up!🤔

I think you are overestimating the importance of additional VRAM. A few people complaining on a forum is irrelevant.

AMD sold the 16GB Radeon 7 against the 8G RTX 2080, and it didn't matter at all. More unnecessary VRAM is not much of a competitive advantage. Actual performance gains are the real competitive advantage.

10GB is plenty for gaming. A minority of people think they need more, but they really don't need it, they just want it, and how many will even want it once a realistic prict tag is attached?

This is a perfect setup for a overpriced luxury option to give some misguided folks what they want, but don't need, if they wan't to give you fat margin for the privilege.

It's not a case where they will be forced to give you the upgrade at no margin.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I think you are overestimating the importance of additional VRAM. A few people complaining on a forum is irrelevant.

AMD sold the 16GB Radeon 7 against the 8G RTX 2080, and it didn't matter at all. More unnecessary VRAM is not much of a competitive advantage. Actual performance gains are the real competitive advantage.

10GB is plenty for gaming. A minority of people think they need more, but they really don't need it, they just want it, and how many will even want it once a realistic prict tag is attached?

This is a perfect setup for a overpriced luxury option to give some misguided folks what they want, but don't need, if they wan't to give you fat margin for the privilege.

More vram is definitely useful if you don't upgrade every year. I also use the HP Reverb and some apps and games I use in VR use up a lot. While 10gb may be enough for the majority of those that play at sub 4k resolutions, Im pretty sure it won't be fully enough for the next 2-3 years.

Each generation we've seen games become more and more demanding. While it's not apparent right away in this time frame, it will become so down the road. If you're coming from a standpoint of someone that upgrades every cycle or doesn't play the latest titles, 10gb is more than enough.

Reactions: Tlh97

ModEl4

Oct 14, 2019

You've got it wrong, please read again my posts. Regarding 3080 10GB, I am saying that it is a very good value at $700 and among other I explain why in my view Nvidia should not charge $1000 for the 20GB version since it will have practically the same performance (and also regarding the potential competition from AMD, etc) But since You mention it, 20GB is important for someone to have if doesn't upgrade too often (just not $1000 important 🤭) For crying out loud, we had in Q2 2016 a 8GB card at $239, in three quarters it would be 5 years since. Also we are at a transition period with the new consoles and memory requirements are expected to rise.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
...Nvidia should not charge $1000 for the 20GB version since it will have practically the same performance...

That's an argument for not doing it at all. Not an argument for charging little for doing it.

If it something that has little demonstrable benefit, it is they perfect example of superfluous luxury option. Exactly the kind of thing you pay through nose for.

This is the way the world works. It's the lowest level version of a product that gets the reasonable pricing is the optional extras that really drive up the margins

Just look at the 3090. It's just a 3080 with more memory and more cores enabled. It's MORE than double the price.

Like I said in previous posts, it's like Apple charging $200 for 8GB of commodity DDR4. 10GB of GDDR6X is much more expensive than the 8GB of DDR4 that Apple charges $200 for.

If you are thinking, "but that's big Apple and there crazy high margins..."

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/AAPL/apple/profit-margins
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/NVDA/nvidia/profit-margins

NVidias profit margins are ~20% higher than Apples.

They don't get that way by giving away VRAM upgrades at negligible margins.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

ModEl4

Oct 14, 2019
Regarding memory, I think we will have an interesting situation with the Ampere series. According with my predictions (of course I could be wrong), we would have:
$499 8GB 3070 184TC (2080Ti -4% level)
$349 8GB 3060 152TC (GA104 further cut down) (2080Ti -20% level)
$229 8GB 3050Ti 96TC (128bit memory bus, 232mm2, 10.2B transistors) (2060 level)
All 8GB versions from $500 to $230 (end even less possibly, I am still confused regarding 3050)
This certainly would be an interesting situation if true!