Gigabyte Boards and DPC Latency

cactusdog

Apr 28, 2008
There are some problems with high DPC latency on most Gigabyte boards released since P35 upto X38/X48. Some people have the problem and dont know it.

You can check by downloading DPC Checker from here:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

DPC's (deferred procedure calls) should be around 50 us or less without any spikes on a normal PC.

Regular spikes upto 1000us is not good and any higher into the red will result in audio dropouts and stuttering of streaming data.

Its mainly affects people who do things like audio editing on the PC but it can be a problem for anyone, even affecting system responsiveness .

Gigabyte have acknowledged the issue and have released a beta bios for some P35 boards but you have to contact them and ask for it so if anyone has run the checker and has problems , i suggest you contact Gigabyte tech support and report the issue.

Many "slow Vista" complaints can be traced back to this issue and you can check if its having an impact by opening Event Viewer/Applications and services logs/microsoft/windows/diagnostic-performance/operational.

You may have a bunch of errors and warnings complaining of "system degradation" "boot degradation" and other related issues.

So if you have regular spikes in the DPC checker report it to Gigabyte so they realise this is a widespread issue and it needs to be resolved quickly.

Also maybe some guys at Anandtech can look into this problem please.

Gigabyte Tech support:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/ServiceCenter.aspx

You can also get a bios from GigabyteColin on this forum.

GigabyteColin

Mar 31, 2008
As you mentioned, we do have a BIOS update to resolve this issue. Not sure if all models have been updated with latest BIOS on the GIGABYTE website yet, but if anyone needs, send me a PM with your board and email address and I'll send over to you.

Best Regards,
Colin

Blazer7

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2007
---off topic---

Hello Colin. it?s good to see that you are sticking here with AT. You guys may consider of having someone here posting on a regular bases like Janus Yeh does over @ TT. Still, even if that?s out of the question it?s damn good to see you here.

Regards

Blazer

DarkRogue

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2007
Well, I gave it a shot with my EP35-DS3P running the F2 BIOS but I'm not entirely sure how to take the results. I ran the test for a few minutes and I did spike to 1000us twice but it was far from regular.. although I was hitting between 300-700us quite regularly.

I'm not sure about using beta BIOS's though, I usually like to wait for a stable final release.

cactusdog

Apr 28, 2008
Thanks for the response but the beta bios for my board X38DQ6 didnt resolve the issue. It did seem to help a little but its still there. I just hope they are still working on it and can fix it fully.

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
I have semi-regular spikes below 500 and one at 600, does that mean I need the beta bios?

cactusdog

Apr 28, 2008
Originally posted by: GigabyteColin
Hi Cactusdog...which version BIOS are you using?

Colin, im using F9b. (GA X38 DQ6)

IS this final bios for this issue or are Gigabyte still trying to fix it? Unfortunately it didnt really fix it for me. It helped a little though.

@ BlueAcolyte if you are happy with your computer and everything works properly then you dont need to worry. 500-600 is not great but its not too bad and shouldnt cause too many problems.

WoodiE55

May 3, 2001
I posted this message over at HardOCP and was given the link to this thread as it looks like it might be an answer to my issues...

I recently upgraded from a system that never had any stuttering problems and less specs (AMD 3700, 2GB RAM, 6800 video card, and biostar MB) to the following:

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L
Intel E4500 dual core
4GB RAM
8800GTS video card

I first noticed issues when having Winamp play and I type. On a 3 minute song it would at least stutter once, usually twice though. Then I started noticing it when playing AVI files and playing WOW. Videos would stutter 2-3 times and if I was playing WOW it randomly stutters, though not as much as videos and mp3's.

When I built the system the first thing I did after the clean install of XP SP2 was to install the drivers from the motherboard CD as to install chipset drivers etc. I've downloaded the newest audio drive from Gigabyte thinking that would solve the winamp issue - it didn't. I've downloaded the newest nVidia video drivers as well, no improvement.

I've never had these problems on my old system and I normally had WOW, thunderbird and firefox open all at once and the computer handled it with ease.

I've ran the DPC test and get normally around 80us with every 3rd or 4th bar being around 800us. While sending a PM just now it jumped all the way up to over 30,000us. Could this new beta fix my pc problems?

GigabyteColin

Mar 31, 2008
Hi Cactusdog,

According to our testing report from engineers I'm looking at now, the F9b does dramatically fix the issue. Can you send me your detailed system config including any add-on cards as well as a screen cap showing the dropouts on your system using F9b?

cactusdog

Apr 28, 2008
Originally posted by: GigabyteColin
Hi Cactusdog,

According to our testing report from engineers I'm looking at now, the F9b does dramatically fix the issue. Can you send me your detailed system config including any add-on cards as well as a screen cap showing the dropouts on your system using F9b?

Thanks Colin for your assistance. I dont know if it will help but this problem surfaced when i installed a PCI-E 2.0 Video Card. I tried 2x 8800GT's and a HD 3870 and its the same, but when i had a 7900GS i didnt notice the problem. It may be a coincidence i dont know.

Here is a screenshot :

http://img368.imageshack.us/im.../443/latenvyf9bxo0.jpg

My specs are:

GA-X38-DQ6 (2 boards same problem)
E8400 CPU (tested a E6600 no change)
OCZ 1066Mhz Reaper Memory (tested Corsair 800MHZ no change)
Samsung 320 Gb hard drive (tested seagate no change)
Creative Xfi audio (tested audigy 4 and onboard no change)
Corsair HX620 Watt PSU (tested another PSU no change)
Pioneer DVR 212 Sata optical drive
Logitech Webcam
LG 20" LCD monitor
Standard Microsoft Keyboard
Logitech MX518 Mouse
Floppy drive
Vista SP1 (tested no SP)

I tested with clean Install with no peripherals and no drivers in IDE/AHCI/RAID mode but its still there. With F9b

Version EVEREST v4.50.1330
Benchmark Module 2.3.224.0
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Report Wizard
Computer
Generator
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 6.0.6001 (Vista Retail)
Date 2008-05-02
Time 22:41

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI x86-based PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
OS Service Pack Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 7.0.6001.18000
DirectX DirectX 10.0
Computer Name
User Name
Logon Domain off
Date / Time 2008-05-02 / 22:41

Motherboard:
CPU Type DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 3000 MHz (9 x 333)
Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 (2 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)
Motherboard Chipset Intel Beachwood X38
System Memory 2048 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
DIMM2: OCZ Reaper HPC OCZ2RPR10661G 1 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-13 @ 270 MHz)
DIMM4: OCZ Reaper HPC OCZ2RPR10661G 1 GB DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (4-4-4-13 @ 270 MHz)
BIOS Type Award Modular (04/18/08)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 3870 (512 MB)
Video Adapter ATI Radeon HD 3870 (512 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon HD 3870 (RV670)
Monitor LG L204WT (Digital) [20" LCD] (1706131052)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter ATI Radeon HDMI @ ATI Radeon HD 38xx - High Definition Audio Controller
Audio Adapter Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme HD Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R) ICH9 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 2926
IDE Controller Intel(R) ICH9 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2920
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
Storage Controller Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive SAMSUNG HD321KJ ATA Device (320 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
Optical Drive PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-212 ATA Device (DVD+R9:10x, DVD-R9:10x, DVD+RW:18x/8x, DVD-RW:16x/6x, DVD-RAM:12x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:40x/32x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 305241 MB (279458 MB free)
Total Size 298.1 GB (272.9 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network:
Primary IP Address
Primary MAC Address
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8168B/8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8168B/8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

Peripherals:
Printer Fax
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer
FireWire Controller Texas Instruments TSB43AB23 1394A-2000 OHCI PHY/Link-Layer Controller (PHY: TI TSB43AB23)
USB1 Controller Intel 82801IB ICH9 - USB Universal Host Controller
USB2 Controller Intel 82801IB ICH9 - USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
USB2 Controller Intel 82801IB ICH9 - USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Device Logitech Microphone (Pro 4000)
USB Device Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000
USB Device Logitech USB Camera (Pro 4000)

DMI:
DMI BIOS Vendor Award Software International, Inc.
DMI BIOS Version F9b
DMI System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
DMI System Product X38-DQ6
DMI System Version
DMI System Serial Number
DMI System UUID 00000000-00000000-0000001A-4D5A7E9C
DMI Motherboard Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
DMI Motherboard Product X38-DQ6
DMI Motherboard Version
DMI Motherboard Serial Number
DMI Chassis Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
DMI Chassis Version
DMI Chassis Serial Number
DMI Chassis Asset Tag
DMI Chassis Type Desktop Case
DMI Total / Free Memory Sockets 4 / 2

cactusdog

Apr 28, 2008
Woodie55, There is a good chance you have it. It can also be a driver problem but if you want to try the beta (and youre sure nothing else is wrong with your system), you need to email Gigabyte. Maybe Colin here can send you one if you PM him.

Also you can try Janus Yeh at Tweaktown Forums.

janus.yeh@gigabyte.com.tw

WoodiE55

May 3, 2001
Well Colin from Gigabyte emailed me the beta BIOS and while I just applied the new BIOS this morning I haven't had a whole lot of time to test it but only for a few minutes.

After the new BIOS install, I rebooted, and once windows was loaded started World of Warcraft (just opened it, did not login) opened Firefox with 5 tabs and opened and started playing WinAmp. I was getting around 70-80us with no spikes, unless I opened another firefox window which only then went up to around 150us - MUCH lower then the old BIOS.

I closed Firefox and WOW and left Winamp open while I got ready for work this morning. About 2-3 songs into the play list this happens...

http://www.miketabor.com/dpc_high.jpg

A huge spike!

cactusdog

Apr 28, 2008
That looks much better for you. That spike is only for a split second, i would be more concerned if it is regularly 1000us or so like mine. If the stuttering has stopped then you should be ok i guess.

I tested an 4 year old Dell today with a P4 and it is rock solid under 15us with no spikes.

I kinda expect better from a $350 motherboard.

DarkRogue

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2007
I'm just wondering if this issue has been officially resolved yet.
I now see an F3n BIOS available on the Gigabyte site for my EP35-DS3P, and I assume the 'n' denotes a beta of some sort.

I don't have any other problems just yet, and while I get spikes, they're usually around 500us and manageable. However, my friend is looking to build a new system as his recently began failing on him. I recommended the Gigabyte boards, but he does a lot of audio work and the DPC latency issue has him very worried.

Has Gigabyte figured out the cause of the problem and remedying it or are the beta BIOS's just attempts at seeing what works at this point?

As a note, I'm still running the F2 BIOS that came with my board. I have not upgraded because I haven't experienced any other serious problems. I didn't even know about the DPC latency issue until I saw this thread and ran the DPC checker.

Thanks in advance.

FellowTraveller

Apr 30, 2008
I don't think the bios addressing DPC latency has been released to the website yet. I got it a couple of days ago from Gigabyte tech support and it does indeed have a huge impact. With my GA-P35-DS4 under Vista I was experiencing sustained spikes in the 1000-2000 range. After the beta 13b bios it rarely rises above 60. The spikes were less severe under XP, but the improvement was similar.

There is an issue with the bios, though. If the mobo loses power - unplugged, etc. - vcore will reset to default even though your custom settings are set in the clock/voltage page. It will stay stuck at default no matter what. I had to revert to the previous bios, make sure my custom settings were in place, then install the beta bios again. Hopefully they will release another version with that problem fixed.

DarkRogue

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2007
Yeah, I'm worried about other problems cropping up, so I'm trying to see if it's feasible to tell my friend to wait until this issue gets fixed officially or not.

Syrup

Apr 21, 2008
Im running a DS3L, i ran the tool in the op and get spikes as high as 800. In all honesty I havent noticed any problem with audio, video, gaming,,,, nothing really. I am sure the problem is there but without it having a tangible impact on my experience im not as likely to fuss atm. I think I will watch this thread and once a working bios is formally released might grab an update then. But chalk up another Gigabyte owner with this problem.

If I should be looking for something other than momentary pauses let me know.

Syrup

laezyre

Apr 19, 2008
Colin,

I ran the test twice on my ga-p35-dsl3 board and noticed almost continuous spikes of 1000 and at times just over. There were times with 5-6 1000 us spikes in a row and in between frequent 500-800 us spikes. I'm guessing I need to fix this. I have noticed times when playing Crysis that I will suddendly get kicked to the options menue during play. My email is laezyre@yahoo.com.

cactusdog

Apr 28, 2008
Thats not too bad Syrup and as you said, if it is not causing any problems on your machine, theres no need to worry too much. It will be worthwhile to install the next final bios when its released.

DarkRogue

Golden Member
Dec 25, 2007
Well, I wonder how serious it is to the audio work if the DPC latency is not *too* bad like Syrup's and mine. I'll have to ask my friend to give me a sample or something to work with and see if DPC spikes of around 500us is enough to disrupt that. If anyone else who has a moderate/low spiking issue that doesn't interfere with normal operations can add their experience with something like this it'd be great as we can expand the sample size.

WoodiE55

May 3, 2001
Originally posted by: laezyre
Colin,

I ran the test twice on my ga-p35-dsl3 board and noticed almost continuous spikes of 1000 and at times just over. There were times with 5-6 1000 us spikes in a row and in between frequent 500-800 us spikes. I'm guessing I need to fix this. I have noticed times when playing Crysis that I will suddendly get kicked to the options menue during play. My email is laezyre@yahoo.com.

laezyre,

I too am having the same problem. Overall the new beta BIOS has helped as it's not spiking every 3rd or 4th measurement. However, now it's spiking every 10-15 measurement and when doing so spiking at very high amounts as shown in my screen shot earlier.

Lucky for me Newegg has allowed me to return the board as defective and I'm going back to an Asus board which I've always had good luck with.

Anyone thinking about getting this board, I'd strongly recommend against it and look at other options first. For me my old AMD 3700+ with only 2GB of RAM out performs this new computer (Intel 2.2Ghz dual core with 4GB RAM) running this Gigabyte MB.

-WoodiE