Gigabyte 970A-UD3P, 990FX or stick with Asus for ECC support

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Abbreviated Question
Looking for an AM3+ motherboard that supports ECC memory that has more than 3 PCIe slots. ATX or mATX is fine.

Most of the Asus boards support ECC and that's what I have been using in the past. Further Googling reveals that several Gigabyte boards do support/have supported ECC memory. I have seen several spots mention the GigaByte 970A-UD3 and I wondered if anyone knew if the GigaByte 970A-UD3P version did also. I also saw mentioned that the 990FX series of Gigabyte boards probably did but I couldn't find anything definitive.

Has anyone used or even seen these settings on the GigaByte 970A-UD3 or a 990FX board?

The GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 looks perfect for what I need.

Details
My server had an FX-6100 on a mATX motherboard. I replaced the FX-6100 with an 8350.

I would like to put the 95W FX-6100 in my normal workstation, replacing the 125W Phenom IIx4 955 that is in my normal workstation.

In the process, I would also like to move the workstation into a Fractal Design Define Mini that is collecting dust in a closet but the Define Mini would require a mATX board. Ideally, I would like to migrate the mATX that is in my server and replace it with a motherboard that has more than 3 PCIe slots so I can add in more SATA cards as storage necessitates.

My problem is the ECC memory. Most Asus boards will support it but I am open to other ideas. My internet search reveals that the GigaByte 970A-UD3 supports (or has supported) ECC memory. I noticed the GigaByte 970A-UD3P specs out great for my needs but
I can't find anything definitive on that board. I have stumbled across a few mentions that the 990FX series may also support ECC memory. If the 970A-UD3P doesn't support ECC then they may also be a viable aternative to an Asus board.

Just wondering if anyone was using ECC in any of these Gigabyte boards or if they had even noticed the availability of the settings in the BIOS.

Last edited:

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Abbreviated Question
Looking for an AM3+ motherboard that supports ECC memory that has more than 3 PCIe slots. ATX or mATX is fine.

Most of the Asus boards support ECC and that's what I have been using in the past. Further Googling reveals that several Gigabyte boards do support/have supported ECC memory. I have seen several spots mention the GigaByte 970A-UD3 and I wondered if anyone knew if the GigaByte 970A-UD3P version did also. I also saw mentioned that the 990FX series of Gigabyte boards probably did but I couldn't find anything definitive.

Has anyone used or even seen these settings on the GigaByte 970A-UD3 or a 990FX board?

The GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 looks perfect for what I need.

Details
My server had an FX-6100 on a mATX motherboard. I replaced the FX-6100 with an 8350.

I would like to put the 95W FX-6100 in my normal workstation, replacing the 125W Phenom IIx4 955 that is in my normal workstation.

In the process, I would also like to move the workstation into a Fractal Design Define Mini that is collecting dust in a closet but the Define Mini would require a mATX board. Ideally, I would like to migrate the mATX that is in my server and replace it with a motherboard that has more than 3 PCIe slots so I can add in more SATA cards as storage necessitates.

My problem is the ECC memory. Most Asus boards will support it but I am open to other ideas. My internet search reveals that the GigaByte 970A-UD3 supports (or has supported) ECC memory. I noticed the GigaByte 970A-UD3P specs out great for my needs but
I can't find anything definitive on that board. I have stumbled across a few mentions that the 990FX series may also support ECC memory. If the 970A-UD3P doesn't support ECC then they may also be a viable aternative to an Asus board.

Just wondering if anyone was using ECC in any of these Gigabyte boards or if they had even noticed the availability of the settings in the BIOS.

I had a GA-970A-UD3P, but I don't remember seeing ECC as option in the BIOS.