Gigabyte 7950 Fans stuck at 800rpm

Jimmybaby

Oct 26, 2013
Hi,

My Gigabyte 7950 WF3 have some problems. I don't know why but the fan never go up to 800rpm. In burn the % of rpm goes up but the tachometer stay stuck at 800rpm and i can verify that because the card stay quiet and the temp go up to 70-75c in game (2 friends have the same card and have 50-55c in game, same setup).
I have already uninstalled Ati drivers and MSI afterburner, nothing changed.

Do you have some ideas guys?

Thank you.

brandonmatic

Jul 13, 2013
A bios issue maybe? For what it's worth, I would take the low noise and 70-75C temp any day over 50-55C and higher noise. I use a custom fan profile to do exactly that. But that's just me.

Jimmybaby

Oct 26, 2013
Yes i tried to unplug/re-plug the card and nothing changed. I don't try the card in other computer. I'm ok with the fact that i can play quietly but I'm the kind of person who don't likes things going wrong for no reason.

Maybe the god of silent PC's gave me that gift...

if anyone has another idea.

thank you

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Be happy.
If you find out how to do it permanently on other cards pm me :) lol

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
It sounds like a bad card or at least bad fans on that particular card. Are they perhaps rubbing on the housing or something?

broken_pixel

Oct 26, 2013
Most likely it is a failing fan or dead fan. This happend with a few of my MSI R7950s that had dual fans. One fan would be trucking along and the other was either not moving or hardly moving.

The way to test a failing fan is to spin the fan with your finger while the power is off. If the blade spins and when the blade stops it should rock back in the opposite direction. A failing or dead fan will just stop without the rocking back motion on ball bearing fans.

Or you can stick your finger on the spinning blades ever so lightly, if the fan stops easy its failing or bad.

Last edited:

Jimmybaby

Oct 26, 2013
ok thank you guys, I will contact Gigabyte for this problem,
the card is still guaranteed, I hope that the removal of fans do not void the warranty...

Jimmybaby

Oct 26, 2013
the weird thing is that I changed the bios with the switch, and for 10-20 seconds the fans are operated well, and after it came back to 800rpm.

Jimmybaby

Oct 26, 2013
I found the culprit! the third fan! if I block him, the two others fan will turn at the good rpm instantly. Crap, I'll try to disassemble it and see if I can settle the problem manually.

Jimmybaby

Oct 26, 2013
So, I unmount/remount the fan rack and after a little clean up everything is good. I think the third fan (next to video port) caused the problem for the tachometer.