Question Gigabit internet... stick with wifi or run ethernet?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
After many years of DSL (or worse), I finally had gigabit internet fiber installation 5 days ago. The company (Sonic.net) doesn't do data tiers or cap your line. They are solidly for net neutrality, are pretty affordable and have good customer service. I was with them for DSL for a number of years, have never had over 5mbps due to the distance from the CO (they used AT&T copper cables for DSL).

So now I have fast internet. However, this laptop I'm using now, wifi connected to my Asus RT-AC1750 router is testing at faster speeds than I was getting the other day when it was connected by ethernet right to Sonic.net's ONT, go figure! I was on the line with one of their CSR's. He thought I had some kind of hardware issues. Dunno. I get wildly different results when I run speed tests. The CSR suggested using speedofme.com speed test instead of Sonic.net's speed test, said he thought I'd get better results somehow. Tried that, maybe an improvement. With the sonic.,net speed test I often get disconnections from their serve.

Anyway, the router's upstairs and everything downstairs is connected by wifi to my router + TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Desktop Switch.

I'm thinking "why not run ethernet cabling?" Both to my kitchen downstairs, where all my downstairs stuff is (printer, 2 computers, a TCL 43" 4K Roku TV/monitor), and to my bedroom, where I have this laptop and another of those TCL 43" displays, both connecting by wifi now.

To do this I figure I'd need to run cables from the router up into the attic and then through holes I drill and go into the rooms and get strung along the walls and/or floor or ceiling. I know, not neat, but this house was built in 1910, what do you expect?

I have made my own ethernet cables before. I have a crimper I got at Radio Shack around 10 years ago or more. I had good luck mostly, but some failures. Can/should I buy a spool of Cat5e (or Cat6), some RJ45 connectors and make my own? I was at Home Depot today and can get a 500' spool of Cat5e for $35. Maybe order RJ45 connectors cheap off ebay. What do you think?

Last edited:

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
With wifi, you're going to have inconsistent results as that's just the nature of wireless.

What I hear you want is wired, but you don't have to string ethernet, especially in a home that old where the construction methods were far different than today.

What I would suggest is trying both or either moca or powerline adapters. These will work on just your regular wall outlets and/or the existing cable lines you possibly have. Moca can hit full gigabit speeds while powerline will top out faster than wireless and be more consistent.

Then you can wire as many things as you can to the 'wired' network and leave the airwaves free for those devices where a wireless connection helps a lot, like laptops, phones, etc.

You should see a HUGE jump in usable speed doing this, and the good thing is--no running wires or potential house problems by doing so. :)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just ran Speedofme speed test and got ~65/82. Results vary a LOT and while running the test, the speed jumps all over the place, it's nuts. Is this "normal?"
I've never used that speed test in particular, but ... did you actually sign up for a "gigabit" plan over your fiber, or just get fiber, and assume that all fiber is gigabit internet? Because I've not once seen a speed test that you mentioned, that indicated gigabit speeds. Although, I think that you said that the ISP tech tested at the ONT, and got 900MBit/sec? I guess that WOULD be gigabit. Why aren't you seeing that, though? Have you had any speed tests beyond 95-100Mbit/sec? If not, it could be your cabling (home-made or otherwise).

Reactions: SamirD

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
Double check that your laptop has a 1000/100/10 network adapter or if it's just a 100/10 adapter.
To echo above are you testing on wifi or ethernet?

WackyWRZ

Mar 8, 2014
Running Ethernet would be best, but if choosing between MoCA and Powerline - MoCA is a much better option. I've got gig internet and my wifi speed tests fluctuate between 30mbps and 300mbps depending on where I am in the house and I'm using actual EAP225 APs. Wired to the router I pull 950 consistently.

I tried some of the top AV2000 powerline adapters and maxed out around 150mbps trying different outlets in a 2 year old house, but it was a consistent 150. I get very close to max speeds over the Motorola MoCA adapters.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Switching to Giga with Wire is a real switch.

Switching then to Wireless, or and Powerline is Not switching to Giga Network it is functionally switching to "DSL+".

It is amazing how Reality switched form knowing Techonoly to be based on the "Gecko" and other ad characters the like.

I am not saying thta Wireless is Bad, it is terffic for the correct purpose.

In NYC (and similar places) it is a Good for one person who provides simple service around town to use a "Smart" car.

However Smart car is not a substitute to any of the other type of Vehicles.

ev-coupe.png

:cool:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Thank you, posters. I am this week (until after Wednesday) very involved in my volunteer organization's annual fund raiser event, so will not be able to address the issues brought up here until then.

Connecting directly to the router by ethernet brand new Cat6 10 foot cables (I bought a package of about 1/2 dozen a year ago and set aside), my laptop didn't amaze. Never got over maybe 130mbps download. However, its adapter is maybe suspect (the laptop is a Lenovo T61, but I swapped out the network card). Here's the card in it now:

Intel Ultimate-N 6300 633ANHMW WiFi Wireless Card

Apparently it maxes out at 450Mbps

Compliant Standards
IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11d, IEEE 802.11e, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11h, IEEE 802.11i, IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.1x, Wi-Fi CERTIFIED
Data Transfer Rate
450 Mbps

But I got nowhere near that speed anywhere, even 6 feet from the router. And wired to the router (or even directly to the ONT), never got over 150mbps, not even close IIRC. Just no idea why.

I do have a Comfast 600Mbps CF-WU910A USB wireless adapter I could test with. Also a Premiertek AC 1200 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Dual Band 2.4GHz/5GHz 2T2R Wireless USB 3.0 LAN Adapter up to 866Mbps Plus 300Mbps (PT-8812AU).

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
You got gigabit internet but still use laptop from 2007?

Check whether the network is connected at gigabits speed.

adapter-properties-2.png

If using wifi, you will be lucky to get 300 Mbps.

Also don't think that Lenovo T61 got USB 3.0 ports.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You got gigabit internet but still use laptop from 2007?

Check whether the network is connected at gigabits speed.

adapter-properties-2.png

If using wifi, you will be lucky to get 300 Mbps.

Also don't think that Lenovo T61 got USB 3.0 ports.
True, the T61 doesn't have USB 3.0 ports. Yup, I'm thinking a newer laptop kinda makes sense now. For one thing I keep having problems by virtue of only 8GB RAM in this machine. My Firefox keeps hogging it and I start paging... not good.

Edit: How do I "Check whether the network is connected at gigabits speed?"

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
For Windows 7

Windows 10

Yeah, a 16GB new laptop is actually what you need .

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, a 16GB new laptop is actually what you need .
Yup. Suggestions? Well, I'll watch for sales, no hurries. I love my Lenovos, have never lost one. Got a T60 from 2006 (bought new from lenovo online), this T61 (bought in 2010 used off ebay, it was a corporate with Vista Business supplied, in great shape with XLNT 15" screen, I added RAM for 8GB, the limit), another T60 that I bought off ebay "for parts" that I managed to rescue! They all work! I bought one other laptop, an Acer at cheap in 2009 and it died not long after warranty ran out!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Another question: I connected the Comfast CF-WU910A USB 3.0 600Mbps adapter to this T61 laptop. Driver was automatically installed. The bluetooth driver failed to install but I figure I don't care, I don't use bluetooth. So, it's working, but the internal internet adapter is working also. How do I determine which adapter is actually in use? The Comfast's LED is flashing, but how do I know it's doing the downloading?

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
How do I "Check whether the network is connected at gigabits speed?"

People refuse to accept the fact that Most values in Networking are Not the real functional values of performance, it is the inner ratings of the center components.

A Wireless componnet that rated (as an example) for 600 Mb/sec. performs deferntly if it is installed in nano size piece of plastic or on a WIFI PCI card. The quality of the Antenna and the objects around it makes aslo a difference in the real life Wireless performance.
---------------

To find out what comes from the ISP the user needs to disconnects everything from the Modem/Router and measure the value of traffic with one computer connected directly to the Modem/Router with CAT6 wire.

To measure the real value of transfer between the LAN components/computers, this a creditable App.

Its measure real transfer of Data.

:cool:

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Another question: I connected the Comfast CF-WU910A USB 3.0 600Mbps adapter to this T61 laptop. Driver was automatically installed. The bluetooth driver failed to install but I figure I don't care, I don't use bluetooth. So, it's working, but the internal internet adapter is working also. How do I determine which adapter is actually in use? The Comfast's LED is flashing, but how do I know it's doing the downloading?
Just disable the other adapter if you're not using it. Or have it disconnect from the network.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Device Manager on this Lenovo T61 laptop with max 433mbps wifi, has this: Intel 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection.

I presume that means it supports gigabit ethernet. However, when I connected it by ethernet directly to the ONT, IIRC it didn't even achieve 100mbps download the other day. What might explain that?

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
Thank you, posters. I am this week (until after Wednesday) very involved in my volunteer organization's annual fund raiser event, so will not be able to address the issues brought up here until then.

Connecting directly to the router by ethernet brand new Cat6 10 foot cables (I bought a package of about 1/2 dozen a year ago and set aside), my laptop didn't amaze. Never got over maybe 130mbps download. However, its adapter is maybe suspect (the laptop is a Lenovo T61, but I swapped out the network card). Here's the card in it now:

Intel Ultimate-N 6300 633ANHMW WiFi Wireless Card

Apparently it maxes out at 450Mbps

Compliant Standards
IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11d, IEEE 802.11e, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11h, IEEE 802.11i, IEEE 802.11n, IEEE 802.1x, Wi-Fi CERTIFIED
Data Transfer Rate
450 Mbps

But I got nowhere near that speed anywhere, even 6 feet from the router. And wired to the router (or even directly to the ONT), never got over 150mbps, not even close IIRC. Just no idea why.

I do have a Comfast 600Mbps CF-WU910A USB wireless adapter I could test with. Also a Premiertek AC 1200 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Dual Band 2.4GHz/5GHz 2T2R Wireless USB 3.0 LAN Adapter up to 866Mbps Plus 300Mbps (PT-8812AU).
The T61 is going to be too slow for a true gigabit test. I have several Dell D610s that are of the same era and while they have gigabit ports, they will barely top out above 100Mbps (if even that). You will need something faster or use something like iperf to test just the ethernet bandwidth.

The other adapters won't really help (as you've discovered) as the architecture of the T61 is simply too slow for gigabit transfers.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The T61 is going to be too slow for a true gigabit test. I have several Dell D610s that are of the same era and while they have gigabit ports, they will barely top out above 100Mbps (if even that). You will need something faster or use something like iperf to test just the ethernet bandwidth.

The other adapters won't really help (as you've discovered) as the architecture of the T61 is simply too slow for gigabit transfers.
Yeah... I called Sonic support and asked the same question. Before that I asked what the installer's laptop was showing after connecting HIS laptop to the ONT. They said 945Mbps and a reading over 900Mbps for upload. Then I asked about my T61 and he said what you said, the old laptop isn't up to attaining those speeds regardless of the network adapter upgrade I have in it (i.e. it's gigabit card).

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Yeah, that Intel 82566MM is a gigabit adapter. It should connect at gigabit speed (not necessarily able to run at gigabit speed), if it can't connect at gigabit speed, swap out that cable with another one.

Other websites for testing internet speed.

==

16GB laptops, better the ones with SSD drive.

Last edited:

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
Yeah... I called Sonic support and asked the same question. Before that I asked what the installer's laptop was showing after connecting HIS laptop to the ONT. They said 945Mbps and a reading over 900Mbps for upload. Then I asked about my T61 and he said what you said, the old laptop isn't up to attaining those speeds regardless of the network adapter upgrade I have in it (i.e. it's gigabit card).
I think the max I've ever gotten out of my older hardware is about 300Mbps from my old Pentium 2.4 laptops using a gigabit cardbus adapter, and that's booting on a linux live cd. I don't think windows would be able to do that.

There's some nice Lenovos for sale here too:

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
Yup. Suggestions? Well, I'll watch for sales, no hurries. I love my Lenovos, have never lost one. Got a T60 from 2006 (bought new from lenovo online), this T61 (bought in 2010 used off ebay, it was a corporate with Vista Business supplied, in great shape with XLNT 15" screen, I added RAM for 8GB, the limit), another T60 that I bought off ebay "for parts" that I managed to rescue! They all work! I bought one other laptop, an Acer at cheap in 2009 and it died not long after warranty ran out!
Found another Lenovo that looks like a good deal:

Reactions: Muse

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I was a bit honestly surprised to find out, that my HP 14" Slim Ryzen 3 3200U laptop, even with 16GB of DDR4-2400 (upgraded), and a built-in Gigabit ethernet port, still couldn't push more than around 600-700Mbit/sec over a wired connection straight to my router on Gigabit FIOS. (Even when plugged into AC power.)

Whereas, my Ryzen R5 3600 desktop PC in the other room, connected to the same wired LAN, could fairly easily hit 940/940, IF not mining on CPU. When mining, it drops down to like 300/300Mbit/sec, or less.

So, guess it's your hardware, as other people have posted? But what about your Core i3 8th-Gen desktop quad-core, have you mentioned that yet? Is it within reach of a pre-made ethernet cable, to the ONT, or the router? I would be curious what that rig could get via a speedtest. Forget the laptop, it's not going to hit 1Gbit/sec over the LAN, especially if it doesn't even have USB3.x ports. (Otherwise, I'd say get one of these 1GbE-T USB3.x dongles for $5-10 off of ebay. I could even send you one.)

Edit: I re-read your OP and stuff, and it appears, that your AC1750 ("AC66U-equivalent") router is Upstairs, while the Core i3 PC is Downstairs. Yeah, that could be an issue.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
The low performance of HP 14" slimp laptop could be the problem of Realtek chip, since 3200U supports PCIE 3.0 1 x 8 lanes + 1 x 4 lanes. PCIE 3.0 x 1 lane supports 985MB/s