Giants/Bears

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
I know this thread is early, but I can't help myself.

Strahan won't play. :(
Urlacher is questionable.

Takes some of the lustre out of the matchup when such key defensive players are out.
I hope Osi and Tuck make it for the Giants, otherwise we're in deep trouble.

I was kinda hoping that Chicago would come in undefeated so that we can hand them their first loss.
Would've been sweet.

Anyway, bring it on!

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Giant bears?!? Where?

... hang on is this thread about some form of primitive 'American' Football? Screw that. Spurs beat Chelsea this week and knocked them off the top of the premiership! Now that's Football! ;)

</different world>

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
I just read over on the Giants boards that Osi is not likely to play. They showed him on CBS on Sunday, and he was still visibly limping.

Urlacher has a sprained big toe, so i'll be very suprised if he doesn't play, although he will likely not be 100%. I am fully anticipating a Giants victory, as the Bears have an excellent record, but have been able to really rack up the wins against crappy teams.

The key to victory for the Giants will be getting pressure on Rex. If they are somehow able to do this with Awasom, Robbins, and Kiwi, they will force Rex to make mistakes and the Giants should prevail easily.

Prediction: Giants 31 Bears 17

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Chicago has a dinged up secondary. They are really depleated at the Saftey position. Urlacher will play, he's too much of a competitor not too. He'd need appendages falling off before he sat out.

NY has an even more beat up front line with Osi and Strahan out. That should really hurt the pass rushing.

I think it will come down to turnovers again. The game rests soley on the shoulders of Grossman. He HAS to protect the ball better and make better decisions down the field. If he doesn't do this, NY will roll them.

I think this game will be seperated by a TD or less. It just depends on which team can capitalize more on turnovers.

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
It's all on grossman. He throws off his back foot when he's under pressure, andd lobs it in the air for interceptions. He's used to having 8 seconds to throw. Put pressure on him and you'll win the game.

Turfzilla

May 25, 2004
Depends on which Rex Grossman shows up.. The bears lost (in theory) to Arizona, and actually lost to Joey Harrington's Dolphins... I'de say they are in trouble.. I gotta go with Eli and the Giants.. close game, Giants win by 3

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: daveymark
It's all on grossman. He throws off his back foot when he's under pressure, andd lobs it in the air for interceptions. He's used to having 8 seconds to throw. Put pressure on him and you'll win the game.

That said, this is the bears' game to lose unless Barber can work magic.

The 150 yards in rushing the bears gave up on Sunday may have been an anomaly, considering edge ran for 60ish yards on about 30 attempts

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Turfzilla
Depends on which Rex Grossman shows up.. The bears lost (in theory) to Arizona, and actually lost to Joey Harrington's Dolphins... I'de say they are in trouble.. I gotta go with Eli and the Giants.. close game, Giants win by 3

yeap depends on which Grossman shows up. 2 of the last 3 games we have seen a very very bad QB. he leaves the defense on the field far to long.

with Uralacher being questionable for Sunday who knows?

it really really depends on how Grossman does. the bears can't make 6 turnovers and expect to win. the Arizona game was awesome. but you can not expect the defense to do that as often as they have been asked to.

I thought for sure the bears would beat Miami and lose to the Giants. heh

edit: oh no strahan? damn. he is my favorite player. I enjoy watching interviews and such with him. just a very likable guy. i would love to meet him in person.

Pacemaker

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2001
If Rex gives up turnovers like he has in his bad games then the Bears have no chance, but if he gives up 1 or less they have a good chance.

Futher

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2002
I think the giants are going to go into the second half with a 9 point lead. Bears will come back, Giants will win by 3.

ITJunkie

Platinum Member
Apr 17, 2003
www.techange.com

That said, this is the bears' game to lose unless Barber can work magic.

The 150 yards in rushing the bears gave up on Sunday may have been an anomaly, considering edge ran for 60ish yards on about 30 attempts

But Edg doesn't have the line that Tiki has. Should be a real good game.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: chuckywang
1 loss and it's all of a sudden panic.

The Bears could *easily* have been 4-3 instead of 6-1. They should have lost against AZ, and just managed to squeek by Minnesota.

Both of those teams have serious problems with their offenses. NY is a very balanced team with one of the best running backs in the game, and a competent QB who has some great options to throw to.

It will be the best offense that Chicago has faced. If Grossman hands the ball to NY too many times, Chicago won't be able to keep up with the score.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Originally posted by: chuckywang
1 loss and it's all of a sudden panic.

The Bears could *easily* have been 4-3 instead of 6-1. They should have lost against AZ, and just managed to squeek by Minnesota.

Both of those teams have serious problems with their offenses. NY is a very balanced team with one of the best running backs in the game, and a competent QB who has some great options to throw to.

It will be the best offense that Chicago has faced. If Grossman hands the ball to NY too many times, Chicago won't be able to keep up with the score.

a) They're 7-1.
b) When you win, you win. There's no "could have/should haves" in the NFL.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Sorry, 7-1. I was off on my weeks. Anyhow, Chicago has only played one team with a record better than .5.

One. Seattle is 5-3 while MN is only 4-4.

You can add up the records of about 5 of their previous opponents going into this weeks game and those 5 teams have less wins combined than the Bears did.

That says something to me.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Sorry, 7-1. I was off on my weeks. Anyhow, Chicago has only played one team with a record better than .5.

You can add up the records of about 5 of their previous opponents going into this weeks game and those 5 teams have less wins combined than the Bears did.

I partly agree. Beating bad teams does not mean that you're not a good team or even a great team. You gotta play the schedule. However, it does mean that you haven't yet proven that you're a great team. The level of competition the Giants have faced vs. what the Bears have faced is a laughable comparison. Don't forget the Bears played an Alexanderless Seattle team.

imported_bum

Golden Member
Jan 15, 2005

Bah, forget this "It's the NFL a win is a win" crap. The Bears have been handed an easy schedule and have managed to struggle with the Cardinals and lose to the Dolphins. In a game that counts, there won't be three TDs scored in 6 minutes, period. Even if they win out the regular season, they will lose their first big playoff game. Quote it :).