Ghosting and blurriness on Leadtek Ti4400

Shambles

Mar 10, 2001
Hi everyone,

I just got my new Leadtek A250D, and while it's an amazingly powerful 3d card, I have some issues with the 2D quality in Windows. I upgraded to this Leadtek card from an ATI Radeon 64VIVO, which is known to have excellent 2D image quality.

The problems I'm experiencing are:

1. Slight ghosting.
2. A distinct blurriness in text which is very noticable compared to the sharpness my old card.
3. A 'dirty' appearance when certain colour combinations are displayed. For example, black text on a grey background demonstrates a fuzziness around the edges of the text. This is probably a combination of 1 and 2.

Understand that I'm not trying to wind anyone up with these comments. I know that image quality is very subjective, and that a number of people don't believe there's a significant difference in 2d quality between Nvidia GF4's and ATI's cards. I would not be posting this message if I didn't feel that this blurry 2d quality was unacceptable - it is a MAJOR step down from the Radeon.

The interesting thing is that I'm only running at 1152x864 (on a Sony 17" flat trinitron), and yet the lack of clarity is prominent. Even at 1024x768, I can see problems, although they aren't as bad. What's going on here?

Since a number of people have claimed the GF4 provides excellent 2D quality below 1600x1200, I am considering the possiblility that there's something specifically wrong with my card. I would be indebted to anyone who can offer any suggestions on the possible causes of this problem, and perhaps offer suggestions on how I can fix it. I switched Digital Vibrance on to the lowest setting, and found an improvement in colour quality, unfortunately the issues mentioned above are not reduced at all.

Has anyone else noticed poor 2d quality with their GF4 cards? Try looking at black text on a white background. Do you see solid black pixels, or a sort of smeary combination of black and grey dots? On my screen, the latter is unfortunately true.

Thanks for any assistance,

Simon.

Shambles

Mar 10, 2001
Ok, It's not quite as life threating any more :)

I fiddled around with the plug that goes from the monitor to the video card, and for some strange reason, loosening that up has resulted in the problem lessening. I'm really not sure what to make of this.

There's still minor ghosting, but it's not nearly as severe as it was before. The 2d quality's pretty good now in fact. Not as good as the Radeon, but definately acceptable. What a relief!

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Might want to try a new video cable. One with gold plated contacts. Seems like something is wrong with either you card's connector or with the cable. They always charge a lot for a gold plated model at places like best buy or compusa so you might want to try an online place like newegg or computergate.

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
I must have the coolest monitor in the world, cuz I've NEVER had poor 2D quality or ghosting with ANY of my Nvidia cards. From the TNT (with and w/o a Voodoo 2 in the chain) to the TNT2U, GF1 DDR, GF2 GTS, GF3Ti200 and finally my LeadTek Ti4400, it's been clear as a bell at 1600x1200x32@75 Hz for almost 4 years.:)

Sorry to hear about your troubles.:(

rogue1979

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2001
Start with a new video cable. Next try adjusting the moire setting, sometimes different video cards require different settings. If you are really brave, then do the low pass filter capacitor mod. It will void your warranty, but the results are absolutely stunning. I have modded five different models of geforce cards, all without a hitch and great results. The 2D quality and text clarity easily matches any Ati card after the mod.