Question Ghost S1 cooling question

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I'm leaning towards getting this case next month, I'm trying to figure out the cooling for it though. There's somebody on ETSY that makes custom acrylic side panels. They sell them solid or with ventilation cutouts. questions

I'd get the case with top and bottom top hats, no GPU for probably 6 months, but I want to get an RX 6700, and it doesn't look like AMD puts blowers on the 6000 reference cards? My question is

scenario 1: 2 120mm fans on bottom top hat with 240mm AIO in top position
scenario 2: 2 120mm intake on bottom and 2 exhaust fans on top with Scythe Big Shuriken 3 CPU cooler.

I really like the look of the solid acrylic panels, and I think maybe with scenario 2 even without ventilation holes on the panels it could still cool well with the static airflow (no expert though) but since I'm not seeing any blower cards from AMD newer than the RX 580 I'm thinking solid panels would be a poor idea.

Would 1 or 2 be the better way to go for overall cooling? And under any circumstance would solid panels result in usable temps?

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Solid panels mean less cleaning due to dust unless you put mesh on the panels to filter it.

I know that, but such a tiny case will need airflow much more than an ATX case like my Inwin 301. With solid panels and an AIO on top and only 2 fans on the bottom I'd think it might be unusable due to overheating.

And I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if 2 fans taking air in the bottom and 2 blowing it out the top would be enough to keep the temps down if I buy the solid side panels.

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Then pull air from both locations and exhaust out the back. Then you have positive pressure and no dust with 4 fans pulling cold air. Or pull cold air from the exhaust location and push air out the top with the rad

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Good luck with finding a GPU that will fit. I love their marketing:

GHOST S1 fits a spec that meets the requirements of a hardcore gamer in terms of cooling, storage and full-length GPUs.

Trying to figure out what hardcore gamer GPU fits in a 2 slot only space. Most are 2.5 and some are up to 3.5 now...

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
It means either you deal with the noise of a blower RTX 3090/4090 (i.e., you're already deaf) or the fastest open air card that will fit is probably a dual slot 2080 Ti

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
I ended up going with an Asus ROG Z11 (got it today) this case is ITX, but ginormous compared to the Ghost. Yet, both support the same size GPU (2 slot) you can technically put a 3 slot card in this case, but if you do it will more than likely incinerate. Asus recommends 2 slot cards, so apparently I have a thing for cases that will end up being problematic for high-end builds lol. Funny you mentioned blower cards and the noise. I'm really leaning toward the Acer Predator Bifrost, which has a regular fan and a 92mm blower. But I can't find a single review tp find out how loud it is. I did find one video about it on YT, I asked the guy if it was loud he said not really. But that doesn't mean much. Some people are fine with 45db others complain about 35.

Jul 27, 2020
I did find one video about it on YT, I asked the guy if it was loud he said not really.

Acer's Predator ARC A770 BiFrost reached a maximum temperature of 77 degrees Celsius during the Furmark run. When it reached this temperature, we worked with cards with a quieter cooling system than this, but it is not unusual noise. We also measured a maximum power consumption of about 145W during the Furmark load test. This is a total of very low power consumption. We expected to see higher power consumption from the Predator ARC A770 BiFrost

That should quell your concerns, I think?

Reactions: QueBert

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

That should quell your concerns, I think?

Thanks for that, yes and no? Sounds good (no pun) but they didn't use the furnace box of a case that I decided to get because it's pretty to look at lol. It does at least instill confidence that it'll be reasonably quiet. And there's always the option to return it, all it would take would be running a GPU stress test 1 time to see. I think this is reassuring to rerad though, if it's not overly loud for them then I'll probably get about the best results I could hope for.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I don't understand the boutique with tiny cases.
I would rather get a vertical stand tower like a Hyte Revolt 3, as it has a smaller overall foot print but stands vertical hence saving real estate on your desk, which i am thinking you are intending on putting a mini pc on top of the desk, and not the floor.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Yeah...but that's FUGLY.

(I can talk...I think I'm going to buy the Be Quiet! Dark Base Pro 900...in orange) :tonguewink:
it's one of the few cases that offers me the radiator options (AIO) I want/need to cool either the i7-12700K or i5-13600K and has at least one 5.25" ODD spot. (yeah, yeah, I know...ODDs are last century...but I have so many things that require one for install)

NOT getting the DBP900. The logistics of getting it...125 mile drive each way) just eliminated the deal and didn't make sense.

Last edited:
  • Haha

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

Wow, I agree with Boomer that thing's fugly. Which is weird for an aesthetics heavy company like ROG. Now if I was 17 that case would be godly, but when I was 17 there were 3 cases to chose from. A mid tower, a full tower and a horizontal. Not sure who made them, but there definitely wasn't a selection.

Also, it's $300 which is super insane.

• Haha

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
Mid tower... Chenbro
Full tower... Chenbro but thermaltake spun off a knockoff, oh if you were super rich, there was lian li.
Horizontal... IBM.

Pretty sure we always had the Chenbros, they were an ugly tan'ish color with a toothpaste green power button. Today? I spent a month watching videos and just when I thought I'd seen every case, I'd find a new one. I had my mind made up at least 5 times on a case lol. I'm trying to assemble the Z11 I bought now, it's not as bad as I thought it would be to work in, but it's not exactly easy. For such a ginormous ITX case Asus somehow managed to still make it cramped to work in.