Ghettopoly Racist? What are your thoughts?

CWRMadcat

Jun 19, 2001
Apparently its caused an uproar because its "racist". I personally don't find it offensive, but I guess since I'm not african american, my opinion would differ in that respect. Anyone have thoughts about this?

Ghettopoly Racist?

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
I wonder where people get their definition of racist...pretty soon if you even use the word race you will be racist.

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002
There is a group of africanamerican parents trying to have Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men" banned from one of the local school districts for being naughty about race. I imagine reading that trash is cutting into their kids time for watching Chris Rock videos and listening to some racially unifying music.

Darkstar757

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
Originally posted by: 308nato
There is a group of africanamerican parents trying to have Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men" banned from one of the local school districts for being naughty about race. I imagine reading that trash is cutting into their kids time for watching Chris Rock videos and listening to some racially unifying music.

PLEASE STFU

GOSH you are so in sensitive. This game is very racist and just plane ignorant.

I mean I lost most of my family to crack. I dont see a game making fun of it as funny.

By the way anyone of any race should find this offensive just because of drug issue.

Drug abuse affects all races.

:disgust:

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Darkstar757

PLEASE STFU

I mean I lost most of my family to crack. I dont see a game making fun of it as funny.

By the way anyone of any race should find this offensive just because of drug issue.

Drug abuse doesn't affect me, cuz I'm not stupid enough to smoke crack.
rolleye.gif

308nato

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2002

PLEASE STFU

Drug addiction is racist ?????/

Oh, piss off by the way ...... sounds like you could use a toke yourself.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
A guy gets a cleaver idea to make money of the fact that people are touchy and insane or insensitive and bores. It's neither her nor there. Somebody knows how to use people's emotions is all. Get real and the issue will disappear.

Shad0hawK

Banned
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: CWRMadcat
Apparently its caused an uproar because its "racist". I personally don't find it offensive, but I guess since I'm not african american, my opinion would differ in that respect. Anyone have thoughts about this?

Ghettopoly Racist?

it is all part of the double standard of the imbecility of "political correctness".

white comedian telling black jokes=racist and unacceptable.
black comedian telling white jokes=not racist and acceptable.

miss black america pageant=non racist and somehow non segregationist.

now we all know if someone organized a miss white america pageant it would be instantly condemned as racist and segregationist and an evil thing.

the root of the problem is there are people who are just not fulfilled unless they can be offended at something, and have such a need to be offended so they can express thier indignation and outrage they actually go out of thier way to look for things to be offended about.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
A guy gets a cleaver idea to make money of the fact that people are touchy and insane or insensitive and bores. It's neither her nor there. Somebody knows how to use people's emotions is all. Get real and the issue will disappear.

I agree with Moonbeam.:Q

He must have taken his meds this morning :p

CkG

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

PLEASE STFU

You lost most of your family to crack? Sorry to hear that, but Jeebus....you see someone die from crack you would think that would clue you in to give it up. I just don't get it at all.....you see someone drop dead from drug use yet you continue to smoke, inject, etc... the stuff. Seems to me that if you aren't smart enough to quit after seeing that sort of thing you probably shouldn't be diluting the gene pool any further. And don't give me that "it's an addiction garbage." Sure it's an addiction, but you can get over it if you aren't weak as a school girl. I've known alcoholics who have quit cold turkey and never had a drink again. Same thing goes for a friend of mine that was using heroin. One day after about 2 years he decided he had enough and just quit. It's about being a strong person. Only a weak person would ever let any kind of chemical control them.

As for the original post. Is the game racist? No, it's satire..... funny as hell satire. I've seen a game along the same lines called Redneckopoly or something like that and thought it was funny as hell to. People need to get over themselves and stop being so damn thin skinned.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
TheBDB. You say "Drug abuse doesn't affect me, cuz I'm not stupid enough to smoke crack." A couple of observations here.

First, someone can stop smoking crack. It's toughter to stop being boorish (lest you be in doubt, I mean you.)
Second, Drug abuse goes far beyond crack. It's a major cause of crime. That doesn't affect you? Well, it has caused a giant increase in taxes to support prisons and law enforcement. That doesn't affect you?
Third, these are human beings who are being destroyed and incarcerated. Unfortunately the incarceration is based on some somewhat arbitrary value judgments.

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
Originally posted by: Whitling
TheBDB. You say "Drug abuse doesn't affect me, cuz I'm not stupid enough to smoke crack." A couple of observations here.

First, someone can stop smoking crack. It's toughter to stop being boorish (lest you be in doubt, I mean you.)
Second, Drug abuse goes far beyond crack. It's a major cause of crime. That doesn't affect you? Well, it has caused a giant increase in taxes to support prisons and law enforcement. That doesn't affect you?
Third, these are human beings who are being destroyed and incarcerated. Unfortunately the incarceration is based on some somewhat arbitrary value judgments.

Sorry, I didn't mean for anyone to take my statement seriously.
rolleye.gif
usually means it is a joke, sarcasm, etc.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Shad0hawK

Ghettopoly Racist?

it is all part of the double standard of the imbecility of "political correctness".

now we all know if someone organized a miss white america pageant it would be instantly condemned as racist and segregationist and an evil thing.

the root of the problem is there are people who are just not fulfilled unless they can be offended at something, and have such a need to be offended so they can express thier indignation and outrage they actually go out of thier way to look for things to be offended about.

I concur.

cumhail

Apr 1, 2003
Why do people always seem to think that the best way to deal with some obscure little one-person company putting out some idiotic product that is specifically looking to "get a reaction" out of people is to bring it into the public eye by drawing media attention to it?

Is the game offensive? I think so, but others may or may not (pick out anything in the world and chances are you can find at least one person who's offended by it). Is it racist? Probably. But at the end of the day, the only reason I've heard of the stupid game is that someone decided it needed news coverage. And 9 times out of ten, it's the people who want the product to be stopped who do the most toward selling it. Fox News did more to sell Al Franken's book than his publisher ever could... Khomenei made Salman Rushdie into a household name... Tipper Gore transformed Marilyn Manson from a mediocre musical act into a celebrity. And lord knows there are far more examples than we could ever manage to count.

People just don't get it, I tell ya,

cumhail

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Shad0hawK

Ghettopoly Racist?

Ding ding ding... we have a winner!

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Its not racist.
Its just not PC.
Cry me a river people.
Ditto

Actually we used to have that pageant . . . it was called the Miss America . . . the "White" was understood.

I agree 100%.