GF2 MX 400 shows up 32 MB instead of 64 in XP. Please help fast

intelbugger

Jun 21, 2001

Thanks in advance.

This card used to work great in 98 until I sent down my system with a friend for an expo and he formatted and loaded in XP. In XP, the card shows up as a 32 MB card.

I am planning to sell this card and need to make sure this is no fault of the card.

Thanks a lot for any help

bassoprofundo

Golden Member
Oct 26, 1999
www.heatware.com
Is it a dual-display card? If so, and if you have both displays enabled, it could only be showing half the memory of the card since the other half would be dedicated to the other screen. My Matrox G400 does this, and it actually shows up as two adapters in Device Manager. That's how it's able to have separate resolutions on each monitor. DISCLAIMER: I haven't owned an NVIDIA card since the original TNTs, so this might be totally off base, but it's something to check.

intelbugger

Jun 21, 2001

No, it is not a dual display card.

Is anyone else on a GF2 facing the same problem in XP. Is my card really a 32 MB card.

Even Sisoft Sandra Shows the card as ...... 32 MB (64 MB AGP)

I think the 64 in brackets stands for alloted AGP texture memory.

So, where's my 32 MB...?

Thanks anyway...still waiting for responses...

Shah4u

Sep 15, 2002
Sir you can download the latest version of the drivers 40.41
it will sove ur problem i have the same problem but it repaired my problem

intelbugger

Jun 21, 2001

I have already done that. It hasn't done the trick.

In win98 the card shows up right as 64 mb but xp prefers to show it as 32 MB.

Now, i doubt whether this is a problem or not, because, maybe out of the 64 mb, only 32 maybe used for visual storage and the rest may be texture memory or something.

But in case this is a problem, I'd sure like to know what is wrong.

Thanks for any help

Mingon

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
What does the computer show on initial bootup (e.g. geforce 2 mx 65536k) ? if it shows 64mb then dont worry if not then the card needs to be replaced.

intelbugger

Jun 21, 2001

Sorry about not mentioning it but that was what i checked first. It does show as 64.0 MB.

But I do not know if the Video BIOS performs an actual mem check or just shows whatever is inscribed about the card in the ROM.

canadianpsycho

Diamond Member
May 23, 2001
If the model # on the card says it is 64 MB, and the BIOS states it is 64 MB, then what does it matter exactly?

IIRC correctly there's a negligible performance difference anyways... Make sure you let the buyer know, and you should be fine, I'd say