GF says FM radio is denied freedom of speech

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
She's telling me that because radio is free to the listener, they should be allowed to whatever they want. This is mostly in reference to the FCC and how they've been censoring Howard Stern, etc...

Now I understand that sponsers don't want their products/service being represented by "lewd" material. However, she thinks that the FCC getting involved is actually depriving people of their first amendment rights... and I KNOW this is wrong because FM radio is privately owned, right?

I'm not an expert in law, but for some reason I think that the first amendment (freedom of speech) isn't mandatory when it comes to privately owned organizations...

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Basically, but then they're allowed to since its so widely available and plus its like how you can't go around in public yelling profanities.

I just wanna see how they do with satalite censoring. The head of the FFC got grilled pretty good by a senator recently.

Landroval

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2005
Under the Communications Act of 1934 (and revision in 1996) the airwaves belong to the public and are licensed to organizations with certain restrictions. This includes various forms of content regulation. Technology has changed a lot though so it is a big headache trying to get to the bottom of telecoms policy today.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Freedom of speech does not mean that you get the right to demand that someone pay you to broadcast whatever you want.

Freedom of speech means that you cannot be put in jail for speaking your mind in a public forum, be penalised for peaceful demonstration.... and it means that the government is not allowed to stop ppl from differeing opinions.

this does NOT mean that anyone can sue cause they dont get to spew whatever they feel they should on private dollars or the governemt payroll.

:)

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
The supreme court rules 5-4 in favor of censorship of the radio in the case of FCC vs Pacifica Foundation.

Basically, the ruling was based off of two premises: 1) If you turn on the radio at a random time you may have missed any disclaimers about offensive material and 2) Because of the way radio is broadcast, children are at risk to hear inappropriate things

Corn Nog

Banned
May 19, 2005
frank zappa once said: there's two knobs on a radio, one changes the station and one turns the radio off.

Wahsapa

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: KarenMarie
Freedom of speech does not mean that you get the right to demand that someone pay you to broadcast whatever you want.

Freedom of speech means that you cannot be put in jail for speaking your mind in a public forum, be penalised for peaceful demonstration.... and it means that the government is not allowed to stop ppl from differeing opinions.

this does NOT mean that anyone can sue cause they dont get to spew whatever they feel they should on private dollars or the governemt payroll.

:)

/thread

:beer: for everybody!