GF 104 is 366mm2

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
http://www.nordichardware.com/news/71-graphics/40710-geforce-gtx-460-core-revealed.html

Early information has claimed a surface area of 366mm^2 with GF104, which is confirmed by these pictures. You can compare this to the 334mm^2 of Cypress and simply it means that NVIDIA can't make as many GPUs per silicon wafer as AMD can, and that the GF104 GPU is still more expensive than AMD's most expensive Cypress chip. This is no matter the quality of the manufacturing ot day, where AMD probably has the advantage with its more mature technology.
Keep in mind though that GF104 is sold at around $240 with GeForce GTX 460 1GB, while AMD is selling Radeon HD 5870 for around $360, even though the chip is considerably cheaper to manufacture.
The positive note for NVIDIA is that GeForce GTX 460 is a great graphics card with a well balanced GPu. The negative is that the cost margins are nowhere near those of the closest competitor.

Charlie was right....

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
So? He's on ATI's payroll, not nVidia's, so why does he care if nV makes money or not? No matter what, he'll spin it as DOOM for Big Green. When the Fermi 2 comes out, it could be eight times as fast as the GTX 4xx cards and cost 1/4 as much and good ol' Chuckles will speak with ATI's hand up his arse, "nVidia can't make a card ten times faster than their last generation and include them in cereal boxes. SELL YOUR STOCK!!! GO ATI, YAY!!!!!"

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I don't care if Nvidia makes 1$ on each chip, as long as they make cheaper cards that perform like the gtx 460 and sell at a good price/performance ratio.

I don't care who makes money with what. The competition is finally heating up again. Just need to wait for ATI to get their new stuff out so Nvidia can drop prices.

cbn

Lifer
Mar 27, 2009
460 GTX may be sold for less money, but those are not full yield chips.

Wouldn't the 384 CUDA core Video card (not yet released) be a better comparison to HD5870.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Now what percentage of people who buy discreet graphics cards care about this? Or even know what it means?

brybir

Jun 18, 2009
Now what percentage of people who buy discreet graphics cards care about this? Or even know what it means?

Its just the troll cycle. The same 5 or 6 people with the same statements will come here and snipe and condescend at each other.

The rest of us will ignore it, because we are interested in the hardware, price/performance and features of cards, not the business and design aspects that we have no control over except where to spend our money.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Its just the troll cycle. The same 5 or 6 people with the same statements will come here and snipe and condescend at each other.

The rest of us will ignore it, because we are interested in the hardware, price/performance and features of cards, not the business and design aspects that we have no control over except where to spend our money.

So SO true.:D

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009

Just for interest sake I guess, some people have been wondering how big GF104 was. The Tech nerd in some us loves to know about this kind of thing.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
Why is everyone so surprised when Charlie is right? I don't know about pre-2008, but as of late he seems to be right on the money most of the time, even if he does dress it up as hyperbolically as possible.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009

So why are you posting here?

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
Why is everyone so surprised when Charlie is right? I don't know about pre-2008, but as of late he seems to be right on the money most of the time, even if he does dress it up as hyperbolically as possible.

It's just fun to say ;)

But yeah, if you could separate the facts from the commentary, SA would be the best rumor site around. Less interesting though...

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009

I will like to remind you that Charlie was saying that the GF104 will be 405mm^2 and that it will have 210W.

The GF104/6/8 are based on the same architecture, more or less unchanged, so they are going to be a mess as well. Since they are smaller, around 405mm^2, 270mm^2 and 135mm^2, yields should improve proportionately, but still be way behind the competitive ATI chips.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/06/21/what-are-nvidias-gf104-gf106-and-gf108/

He had no clue about the GF104 specs at the time and he was making thinks up. He came to the conclusion that the GF104 will be 405mm^2 because 384 shaders are the 3/4 of the 512 shaders the GF100 has.

And after the GF104 was released and he found that it’s a little bigger than the Cypress Chip he started to say that NV selling the GF104 at a loss.

Im waiting to see what BS he will write about GF106

Last edited:

dookulooku

Aug 29, 2008
High end graphics cards draw a lot of power and require complex boards. On all Cypress, GF100, and GF104 products, the board and components are likely more expensive than the GPU itself. Even if GF104 was more expensive to manufacture than Cypress, it's board will considerably cheaper.

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Thanks for posting the info HurlyBird.

For the rest of you trolls in this thread. If you dont like the information being discussed in it, why no just GTFO? No one is forcing you to participate. You had to know what was going to be discussed before coming in.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
I will like to remind you that Charlie was saying that the GF104 will be 405mm^2 and that it will have 210W.

Well, the 405mm2 number was an estimate, not Charlie reporting facts. Charlie's estimates tend to be somewhat... biased. He was I believe the first to publish the 366mm2 number as fact when lots of people were saying GF104 was smaller than cypress, hence the comment.

And I thought GF104 was around 210w...?

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
I am aware that he was the first to talk about the 366mm^2, but that happened after the GF104 was released. Anyone could take a card and open the heatsink and measure the Die size at that moment. ;)

GTX460 1GB have 160W

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
That was when GF104 was supposed to just be an unchanged half of GF100. At launch, about 3 weeks after the article was posted, it became obvious that GF104 was not just a half of GF100, and then ten days after that, he gave a revised value of GF104's die size that was correct to NordicHardware's estimate to within 1mm^2. Yes, he was wrong initially, but he was also right a hell of a long time before anyone else was.

And after the GF104 was released and he found that it’s a little bigger than the Cypress Chip he started to say that NV selling the GF104 at a loss.
He was saying GF104 couldn't compete profit-wise even when he thought GF104 was going to be smaller than Cypress.

I am aware that he was the first to talk about the 366mm^2, but that happened after the GF104 was released. Anyone could take a card and open the heatsink and measure the Die size at that moment.
Then why did it nearly take NordicHardware another 2 weeks to do it?

Dribble

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2005
Then why did it nearly take NordicHardware another 2 weeks to do it?

Because nobody cared?

Not convinced anyone cares in this thread either - it seems more about proving Charlie right/wrong.

Even if the chip size was 500mm2 but it performed as it does no one would really care, other then people trying to prove that nvidia must be loosing money on it. However even that sounds a bit hollow being as Charlie says every generation is too big/hot/slow and how it will be the end of nvidia and how they have to be loosing money, yet nvidia continue to exist, sell em cheap enough, and turn a profit.

Scali

Banned
Dec 3, 2004
I think die size can roughly have three consequences:

1) Large number of transistors -> large amount of current passing through -> heat/power/noise issues.
2) Higher production costs -> higher product price.
3) Lower profit margins.

In the case of GF104:
1) All reviews agree: no heat/power/noise issues, perfectly in line with ATi's offerings.
2) All reviews agree: Priced very well, many recommend the cards as best price/performance in their segment.
3) This would strictly be nVidia's problem. However, only time will tell whether there actually is a problem in the first place. Just because ATi makes more profit doesn't necessarily mean that nVidia is going to have trouble keeping their head above water.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Academically, its nice to know the actual Die size of the GF104, but other than that this alone doesn’t tell us the profit margins of the GTX460.

There are so many other factors (Yields, Binning, PCB cost etc) that influence the production cost of a video card that we don’t know, so we cant make a safe estimate if NV losses or gaining from the GTX460.