Question Getting WiFi to metal shop.

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
I am looking for a way to get wifi in my metal shop. Signal is good outside the building. Yeah I can do wireless bridge but still going to have to run a cable to feed that. I don't know why I can't setup a mesh router that would use an external wifi antenna and rebroadcast that signal into the shop. I am not familiar with this process. Just bought an ASUS RT-AX55 as the main router. So how does one setup a router to get its signal from wifi instead of a wired connection?

Also anyone know the best way to do wifi calling on a phone that does not natively support it and still use your cell number?

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
For the first issue, need some more information as there might be better solutions--Is the shop on the same power as the wifi source? What cables are there between the two buildings? How far apart is the building from the wifi source?

As far as the wifi calling, I'd just use a calling card.

Reactions: Perryg114

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
The building is maybe 100ft away and I get good WiFi outside the building but since it is a metal building signals from outside don't make it inside. If I could setup a router as a repeater with an external antenna outside the building that might work. Shop is on different power than house with the internet source. Problem is new routers have several antennas now days instead of just one so relocating the antenna becomes a problem. If I use a wireless bridge, I still have to use a router to distribute the WiFi inside the building. I am looking for a short cut. I could run a wire to the building but I am trying to avoid that. Also I have had bad experiences with long runs of ethernet cable and lightening strikes frying my whole network. It is one big antenna for EMI. Signal is not the problem but getting it inside the metal building is. I am having the same issues with the cell phone not working inside the building. Cells phones are getting to be a useless brick without internet or cell signals. MP3's are the only option but getting them onto the device is a pain. Stuff I buy on Amazon I can't even down load to my phone. I have to download on the PC then physically transfer music to the phone. It is getting to be stream music or nothing with a phone. I work from home a lot now and having the ability to get phone and internet in the shop would be helpful. I don't want to spend $2000 to do this. It would be nice to have but if it costs more than $100 or so, it ain't worth it.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i bet the metal shavings in the air has something to do with why your losing signal.

You will most likely i am guessing need to hard wire a connection and have the access point high up so the beam form shoots down and can mitigate though all the metal shavings in the air.

It would be nice to have but if it costs more than $100 or so, it ain't worth it.

.... dont bother then... a bridge to bridge will cost you double that, if you don't want to run a wire across, and the access points all start at that price.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
Thank you for the answers. Yeah, I think a wired solution is out because of the past experience with lightning and both places having different grounds.

But what might work really well is very simple actually--get a external box from extreme broadband and then put a regular access point/router in there to receive the existing signal and then run a wire from it to a switch and access point setup inside the building:

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
You can use SamirD's solution or install TP-Link CPEXXX (210 or 510), bridge it to ASUS routers signal, wire CPEXXX inside the metal shop, and setup another AP or router in AP mode inside the shop.

*** You NEED to wire inside since you have metal siding. No electric signal can penetrate metal, period. ***

==

For your smartphone

Last edited:

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
Thank you for the answers. Yeah, I think a wired solution is out because of the past experience with lightning and both places having different grounds.

But what might work really well is very simple actually--get a external box from extreme broadband and then put a regular access point/router in there to receive the existing signal and then run a wire from it to a switch and access point setup inside the building:

I think that is what I am going to have to do. The router or bridge is going to have to be outside and then I will need another router to transmit the WiFi into the building. What is a cheap router that works. Don't need much range and Bps in an open shop. Or I can do like you said and use a router to pickup the already strong enough Wifi signal then port that into a router inside the building. I think the wireless bridge might be a slightly more pricey option but it would probably be more robust and I won't have to deal with an outdoor box for the router.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
You can use SamirD's solution or install TP-Link CPEXXX (210 or 510), bridge it to ASUS routers signal, wire CPEXXX inside the metal shop, and setup another AP or router in AP mode inside the shop.

*** You NEED to wire inside since you have metal siding. No electric signal can penetrate metal, period. ***
That's what I was looking for the OP as it would be the most cost effective. :) Thank you for posting these!

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
I think that is what I am going to have to do. The router or bridge is going to have to be outside and then I will need another router to transmit the WiFi into the building. What is a cheap router that works. Don't need much range and Bps in an open shop. Or I can do like you said and use a router to pickup the already strong enough Wifi signal then port that into a router inside the building. I think the wireless bridge might be a slightly more pricey option but it would probably be more robust and I won't have to deal with an outdoor box for the router.
Check out the TP-Link stuff posted above as that I think would be the easiest and most cost effective. I actually checked out the emulators on both the 210 and 510 and both are really easy to set up as a client to your existing wifi:

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
I could run a wire to the building but I am trying to avoid that. Also I have had bad experiences with long runs of ethernet cable and lightening strikes frying my whole network. It is one big antenna for EMI.

Personally, way to many devices and points of failure.

1. https://www.officematics.com/2pcs-s...-transceiver-fiber-optica-switch-p-94941.html

2. https://www.fs.com/products/88535.h...mUIYckiCTQrEdAVKRnYftB_HwvvUIxghoCSFkQAvD_BwE

3. Some sweat equity.

Under $100 and solid Gb to your workshop.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I'm a home DIYer and not a pro, so this is all from personal experience without knowledge beyond that. So take it for what it is worth.

I have set up 5 of these so far for myself and family / friends the past 3 years or so. One has died, but we think from lighting strike / power issue?

I still have 3 of these in use personally. These can be used as an AP with the signal projecting from only one of these as the source and as a listener. One to a metal sided pole barn building about 50 feet from the device that projects through a bathroom window towards the metal sided pole barn building. I get about 20 mb/s from it on average to latest cell phones inside the building - so 50 to 80 feet away from the single loco m2 2.4g out of the bathroom window.

Look up "Ubiquiti NanoStation locoM2 2.4 ghz" . Though I think they are still available though they are likely end of life and not getting software updates and going up in price! I don't know, though I would hope there are still wifi compatible antennas still out there being made? These can be used in "AP" mode though only up to 54 mbs. They only have a 100mbs Ethernet connection and come with a power over eith adaptor (all of mine have anyways), so they need power also.

There are instructions on-line to set them up as an "AP" with a little work. They work great!

I have two other's used in "AP" mode (only 1 antenna pointed to a location - not used in repeater mode) and have got signal to a cell phone up to 450 feet away (end of block). Any tree or building interference reduces signal and bandwidth.

Even at 100' I would try it depending on the metal on the side of the building and overall building size and on your bandwidth needs. My typical medal sided garage at 50' with the antenna inside and through a window for up to 20 mbs works great! I can stream tunes and do wifi calling, ect. without a problem. Not sure I would want to have to stream video or "work" on it, but for home stuff it has never failed.

I use another to project a wifi signal from a garage into a large field for longer distances and it works great also.

Best of luck!

If you are going to dig somewhere to add a line, I would install at least 1" conduit and run lines through it. Best to only dig once... Digging sucks :)

Last edited:

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
I need to try this just for fun!

More later. I just know that a cheap and proper antenna can do a lot.

Add some booster and power and it can do wonders.