Getting Vega 56 and 1070ti at same price which one should i buy ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Getting Vega 56 and 1070ti at same price which one should i buy ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Another Vega 56 comparison, this time against the 1070 (1070 Ti, 1080, and 1080 Ti included in results).

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
bunch of open box vegas over at microcenter. 15% discount. kinda hard to pass up.

:hmm:

edit: ooo, open box 1070 superclock, just a few bucks more. should be quieter.

:hmm: :hmm:

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
bunch of open box vegas over at microcenter. 15% discount. kinda hard to pass up.

:hmm:

edit: ooo, open box 1070 superclock, just a few bucks more. should be quieter.

:hmm: :hmm:
Which games and what resolution do you play? How long do you plan to keep for? If higher resolution and planning to keep longer I think Vega is the better buy. If you play something like 144hz lower resolutions and upgrade often get the 1070.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Which games and what resolution do you play? How long do you plan to keep for? If higher resolution and planning to keep longer I think Vega is the better buy. If you play something like 144hz lower resolutions and upgrade often get the 1070.

I have a 290, I play a 10 year old mmo that is so poorly coded that it will bring a 1080ti to its knees (no joke), I upgrade when I get decent stuff cheaply (see: 290), I have a pro-grade dell 4k (UP3216or7Q), but I game windowed 3200x1600.

stuff i'd like to play: doom, Wolfenstein, and all those total wars after medieval 2 that were super buggy on release. good ol' steam queue. also, the witchers and dead space.

edit: also, I need a new phone and a mattress, so I probably won't get anything.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
At the same price? The gtx1070ti is the easy choice.

Gtx1070ti pro's......
At stock speeds its 8% faster overall, uses less power, gives off less heat, and is not as loud as a helicopter like the Vega 56.

If both are max overclocked the gtx1070ti is still faster, gives off way less heat, uses 100 less watts and doesn't sound like a jet engine.

Vega 56 pro's
cheaper freesync monitor.

Overclocking comparison

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterScott

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
The GTX 1070Ti is not fast enough over Vega 56 to justify the Gsync premium. This is a plain and simple undeniable fact.
Unless you simply are just going to ignore freesync/gsync (which I don't advise),

These are the only cards you should really look at.

RX 580,
Vega 56,
GTX 1080Ti (Mmmm so tasty you really know you want this)

It's not that a GTX 1060/GTX1070ti are bad... you just won't notice the difference between them and an RX580/Vega 56...We're talking a couple frame difference tops...
This is like having a choice between pepsi and coke, but you are deciding to buy pepsi and pay $200 extra for the packaging...

The GTX 1080Ti is the only unique GPU, which if you're buying that, you know what you're getting into. Greatness.....

Reactions: kawi6rr and ZGR

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I have a 290, I play a 10 year old mmo that is so poorly coded that it will bring a 1080ti to its knees (no joke), I upgrade when I get decent stuff cheaply (see: 290), I have a pro-grade dell 4k (UP3216or7Q), but I game windowed 3200x1600.

stuff i'd like to play: doom, Wolfenstein, and all those total wars after medieval 2 that were super buggy on release. good ol' steam queue. also, the witchers and dead space.

edit: also, I need a new phone and a mattress, so I probably won't get anything.

If you don't upgrade your monitor, might as well just hold out for Volta then.
Phone, Xiaomi has a new one for ~$200 that's pretty good. Mattress is pretty cheap from sleep innovations ~$300.
You can walk away today with Vega, Phone (To call Vega when you're gone) and a new memory foam mattress (To sleep with Vega of course), for ~$900 after tax today. What are you waiting for? Do it!

Reactions: ElFenix

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
The GTX 1070Ti is not fast enough over Vega 56 to justify the Gsync premium. This is a plain and simple undeniable fact.
Unless you simply are just going to ignore freesync/gsync (which I don't advise),

I bet most people do ignore FS/GS, I know I will be. I certainly don't feel like I have to buy a new monitor with a new GPU.

So for me GTX 1070 Ti would be the better choice at even pricing.

But looking at local retailer(Canada), the GTX 1070Ti is $50 to $100 less than the Vega 56, so it isn't even a contest.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
If you don't upgrade your monitor, might as well just hold out for Volta then.
ok, i'll do that

Phone, Xiaomi has a new one for ~$200 that's pretty good. Mattress is pretty cheap from sleep innovations ~$300.
You can walk away today with Vega, Phone (To call Vega when you're gone) and a new memory foam mattress (To sleep with Vega of course), for ~$900 after tax today. What are you waiting for? Do it!
or maybe I should do this?

I have 2 hawaiis so I probably should sell them while they have mining value still.

(but I really want a pixel!)

Edit: the Vegas are all gone. Wonder if the 1070 has the box (yes, microcenter will take stuff back without the box, apparently. hello, rebate fraud.)

Last edited:
Reactions: tential

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
It's already pretty close between 1070 and Vega 56, so when the choice is between a 1070Ti and a Vega 56 I'd easily choose the 1070Ti.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
I bet most people do ignore FS/GS, I know I will be. I certainly don't feel like I have to buy a new monitor with a new GPU.

So for me GTX 1070 Ti would be the better choice at even pricing.

But looking at local retailer(Canada), the GTX 1070Ti is $50 to $100 less than the Vega 56, so it isn't even a contest.

The only people I know that ignore Adaptive Sync are Nvidia users who are too cheap to get a Gsync monitor. Freesync is Free tech at no added cost.

Adaptive sync is incredibly important I would not brush it under the rug just like that. Anyone set on a 1070 ti on a low budget should look for a refurbished Gsync monitor at least.

Reactions: tential

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
The only people I know that ignore Adaptive Sync are Nvidia users who are too cheap to get a Gsync monitor. Freesync is Free tech at no added cost.

Adaptive sync is incredibly important I would not brush it under the rug just like that. Anyone set on a 1070 ti on a low budget should look for a refurbished Gsync monitor at least.

New monitors aren't free. I have an older NEC Pro series monitor that is fantastic, and I won't replace it until it breaks/wears out.

Arguing about buying less expensive Freesync monitor with your GPU is false economy.

Just using the monitor you have now is the real savings.

Reactions: Thinker_145

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
New monitors aren't free. I have an older NEC Pro series monitor that is fantastic, and I won't replace it until it breaks/wears out.

Arguing about buying less expensive Freesync monitor with your GPU is false economy.

What resolution and hertz do you game at? It really comes down to that. Anyone getting a Vega 56 or 1070 ti is wasting their money if they still have an old 1080p60hz monitor.

Edit: I do remember you saying you lived in Canada, which means monitors are far more expensive. I got my Gsync 4k60 $350 refurbished, my Freesync 4k60 $300 new, and my gsync 1080p180hz for $240 refurbished.

Those sweet refurbished deals for gsync monitors always come and go in the USA.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
4K60 VRR monitors at that price are likely crappy TN panels, which I would never use.

Also VRR monitors are treated like the second coming which a vast over-reaction.

If I am playing fast twitch games, I just turn off Vsync which gets less lag than a VRR monitor, and no vsync hiccups.

Some screen tearing in those conditions doesn't really bother me, certainly not enough to marry my GPU and Monitor purchase decisions together.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
4K60 VRR monitors at that price are likely crappy TN panels, which I would never use.

Also VRR monitors are treated like the second coming which a vast over-reaction.

If I am playing fast twitch games, I just turn off Vsync which gets less lag than a VRR monitor, and no vsync hiccups.

Some screen tearing in those conditions doesn't really bother me, certainly not enough to marry my GPU and Monitor purchase decisions together.

Have you tried these cheap 4k panels? They look fantastic over any 1080p panel.

The input lag from Adaptive sync is simply not noticeable, and is helpful well above 60hz as well. I can't believe you play fast twitch shooters at 60hz you are a trooper!

Sounds like your next GPU purchase should include an Adaptive sync monitor!!

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008

Might as well use the gpu you have now while you're at it too.... Gpus aren't cheap either.

Using the gpu you now is the real savings.

As you can see, that's just not a good style of argument you've brought.

The fact that you believe your monitor is great and doesn't need an upgrade until it breaks just means we're having a pointless discussion.
4k 144hz to me is the next critical upgrade so I guess we just don't see eye to eye if you see an old monitor as being satisfactory for a decent time frame moving forward.
Freesync and gsync are must haves now.

It's kind of like we're having a discussion where someone says "I'm staying at 720p til my TV breaks!" OK. I mean you can do that. But the tech is progressing... And it's kind of cool...

Upgrading the gpu without upgrading the thing that displays the things the gpu generates... Weird.

Reactions: ZGR

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
An older monitor doesn't stop you from playing games. An older GPU does. So it isn't remotely the same thing.
An older gpu doesn't stop you from playing games either turn down the settings.

Or you can argue they both stop you from playing games.

Since you're saying you can't turn down the settings to play a game with your current gpu, by the same reasoning your monitor is continuing to get out of date as higher refresh rates come out and higher and higher resolutions. By this same logic, I can't play fps games until I have a 144hz + monitor. I need a new monitor for fps, just as you need a new gpu for new games.

Neither upgrade inhibits you from playing games. It's just you've have very specific criteria that leaves you with only one option. Ignoring new monitor tech as part of that criteria as a tech enthusiasts is counter intuitive to my mind.

What is the next must have monitor upgrade for you?

That will help figure out where this gap lies between those of us who think adaptive sync is a must have now and those who are willing to wait for quite awhile.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
An older gpu doesn't stop you from playing games either turn down the settings.

Or you can argue they both stop you from playing games.

Since you're saying you can't turn down the settings to play a game with your current gpu, by the same reasoning your monitor is continuing to get out of date as higher refresh rates come out and higher and higher resolutions. By this same logic, I can't play fps games until I have a 144hz + monitor. I need a new monitor for fps, just as you need a new gpu for new games.

Neither upgrade inhibits you from playing games. It's just you've have very specific criteria that leaves you with only one option. Ignoring new monitor tech as part of that criteria as a tech enthusiasts is counter intuitive to my mind.

What is the next must have monitor upgrade for you?

That will help figure out where this gap lies between those of us who think adaptive sync is a must have now and those who are willing to wait for quite awhile.

OLD GPUs don't support DX12/Vulcan. They stop you from playing new games.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
OLD GPUs don't support DX12/Vulcan. They stop you from playing new games.
Old monitors don't support new gpu standards like hdmi 2.0 since you seriously want to go that route. (no this is a bad rabbit hole were not drowning here!)

Your response could have been way better and addressed my post more directly and facilitated the discussion. Instead you tried to focus on a small snippet and twist it to make your argument seem stronger.

Well that bores me and kills the discussion.

Whether you want to upgrade your monitor, gpu, or a combination of both anyone reading the thread gets the merits and cons of each scenario, I think we're done here.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
Old monitors don't support new gpu standards like hdmi 2.0 since you seriously want to go that route.

Your response could have been way better and addressed my post more directly and facilitated the discussion. Instead you tried to focus on a small snippet and twist it to make your argument seem stronger.

Well that bores me and kills the discussion.

Whether you want to upgrade your monitor, gpu, or a combination of both anyone reading the thread gets the merits and cons of each scenario, I think we're done here.

HDMI is backward compatible, so my monitor would have no issues working with new graphics cards.

What bores me is when people have ridiculous positions (equating monitor and GPU obsolescence) and make extraneous arguments to try and support them.

GPUs quickly become dated, newer games run slower, and eventually you won't even be able to run modern games at all due to being unsupported on new APIs.

OTOH with a new GPU, an old monitor can have years more life running full speed on all modern games.

It really doesn't make sense to ditch a monitor that works perfectly, just because you want a new GPU to play modern games.

It really seems that if NVida and AMD both supported the same VRR standards, this "buy an new monitor with your GPU" argument would disappear. It's entirely driven by people trying to make a case for AMD GPU purchases.

Reactions: Thinker_145